Your Team's Season Opener ?

eagles66

The summer is rushing by quickly, and soon it soon it will be time for the season opener for high schools.

A couple of questions for high school football fans. 1. Who do you play in your season opener and where ?

2. Do you think your team will win and why ? If not, why will they lose.

I will pick Texas High over Vidor @ Lobo stadium in Longview, I think. Why will Tx. High win ? Because they bring back a lot on defense. I admit I know little about Vidor. There should also be some motivation for the Tigers to win. The last time they played at Lobo stadium the game did not go well for the Tigers. That was one of the wost defeats for the Tigers in years.

All Comments welcomed.

Alto opens against Groverton, Alto won the last time they played really the last two times in 06 & 07 in the first round of the play-offs sending them home. Groverton moved back up to 2A so i'm not sure what they have this year BUT there is no love loss between these two teams so it should be a heck of a game.I'll take the Yellowjackets by 6..... :thumbsup:

Palestine opens the season at newly refurbished Wildcats Stadium in Palestine on August 27th vs the Brownsborro Bears. Being former district foes these two teams know each other well. Palestine has a new coaching staff now led by Lance Angel So the Cats will have a diffrent look this year. Gone is Olin Terry and EJ Spurlock, but returning are RBs Terrance Simmon, and DeCory Chivers. From what I saw last year Kenneth Greene will be just fine at QB. On defense Pardue returns as well as a promising young DB Bobby Walker. I will take the Wildcats in this one although I think it may be a close one.

We play Diboll in Tatum. I think we will win but it will be ugly.. First game under the new offense.

Dibolls coach Shepard coached at Tatum before(has a ring) and we have scrimmaged them the past two years but have never beat them in a game.

2000, 27-19 Diboll

2001, 27-14 Diboll

:homer: Tenaha opens the season with (now 2A )Joaquin,our past 1A District rival.We play in Joaquin. :homer: I'm not at liberty to say who will win this game,but would like to see the trend continue! :homer:

:homer: Tenaha opens the season with (now 2A )Joaquin,our past 1A District rival.We play in Joaquin. :homer: I'm not at liberty to say who will win this game,but would like to see the trend continue! :homer:

Seed I'm thinking this one could be sloppy. We're gonna be starting a lot of sophomores. Don't get me wrong, they're great young athletes, and the future looks bright, but taking on a team as loaded as Tenaha in the opener is a tall order. The outcome will depend on a few things: can Joaquin's D slow down(cuz there really is no stopping) Reginald Davis? Will Davis start at QB, or will Coach Ward use someone else to get him the football? Joaquin's strength early on will be their defense, and they will have to keep the Rams in the game (not just this one) until the youngsters gel on offense. Knowing the double wing is not the big deal, its the only offense these kids have ever run. The big change will be adjusting to the speed of the game at the varsity level. Hopefully they will adjust quickly. Our seniors on D (especially LB Tyler McSwain and DBs Jaderrick Norris and Smooch Wilson) will have to carry this team for a few weeks. Their leadership will be a big key to the success of this season.

Seed I'm thinking this one could be sloppy. We're gonna be starting a lot of sophomores. Don't get me wrong, they're great young athletes, and the future looks bright, but taking on a team as loaded as Tenaha in the opener is a tall order. The outcome will depend on a few things: can Joaquin's D slow down(cuz there really is no stopping) Reginald Davis? Will Davis start at QB, or will Coach Ward use someone else to get him the football? Joaquin's strength early on will be their defense, and they will have to keep the Rams in the game (not just this one) until the youngsters gel on offense. Knowing the double wing is not the big deal, its the only offense these kids have ever run. The big change will be adjusting to the speed of the game at the varsity level. Hopefully they will adjust quickly. Our seniors on D (especially LB Tyler McSwain and DBs Jaderrick Norris and Smooch Wilson) will have to carry this team for a few weeks. Their leadership will be a big key to the success of this season.
Good analysis 'trueblue82' i would'nt exactly say we have the upper-hand cause we will have alot of 'new-blood' handling the ball.But the younger kids that are new are extremely talented.We may struggle some till our kids mesh and get some varsity game-time experience.I have'nt seen anyone re-organizing the state championship trophy case yet.It's good to be ranked high but there's a reason they still play the games! Only thing i know is i'll be there rooting for them if we're 8-2 or 2-8.I know you likely feel the same @ the Rams.

CKT is opening up against Rusk. Spread against Veer! Rusk has had time under Coach Patton and they will bring it. New 3-4 defense will have a little trouble with the mid-line with CKT's undersized middle lb's. Should be an interesting game.

Working on Masters

Tyler Lee vs Euless Trinity in the Classic.

Possible ESPN II

Lee has always played U. Trinity tough. These two teams are a mirror image of each other philosophy wise, However Trinity will bring their mammoth offensive line that can wear down the Defense late in the game. Lee's O line will be young, and have to grow up fast, We may have to get in the gun more than usual, and that could end up a good thing, against a team like theirs. There;s really no secrets here. Both love to run the ball, mix up the passing game when needed, and play ball control. Lee will be around late, but will need to win the turnover battle to pull this one out. And thats been the same way the past 5 meetings, I dont see this one being any different. IF Lee could pull off this first game, it would carry this team far.

Redwater vs West Rusk in Gilmer, Aug. 26th.

Winner: West Rusk by 14.

Why: West Rusk has 18 returning starters from an 8-3 playoff team. They have a year of experience running the spread. They have one of the toughest defenses in D2-2A.

The Kicker: West Rusk has always struggled playing a full 4 quarter game early in the season, if Redwater can take advantage of this weakness, that can pull a major upset.

I see San Augustine leaving Week 0 with very big win against Colmesneil at Brook Hill. With only a few departures and Wes Little back helping coach I think it will make SA alot better. Davis back at QB and a couple new fast RB's well help alot. Optimistic at how this season will turn out!

I see San Augustine leaving Week 0 with very big win against Colmesneil at Brook Hill. With only a few departures and Wes Little back helping coach I think it will make SA alot better. Davis back at QB and a couple new fast RB's well help alot. Optimistic at how this season will turn out!

Reaper its been a long time since our teams have played each other, so I'm really looking forward to that week 4 matchup at Ram Stadium. It should tell us a lot about each team and how we match up with our districts. We have Hemphill the week before we play yall.

Reaper its been a long time since our teams have played each other, so I'm really looking forward to that week 4 matchup at Ram Stadium. It should tell us a lot about each team and how we match up with our districts. We have Hemphill the week before we play yall.

Yeah man its been a while. I know SA will be a lot better than last year, but not really sure on how better. When was the last time they have played? 03 maybe?

EF and Harmony play August 26th at Hallsville. From my understanding JV and Varsity will play on the same night. EF lost alot of seniors and I think that Harmony did as well. Could be a good game.

Diamond what about your boys over in Jefferson, what will they be like this year ?

Yeah man its been a while. I know SA will be a lot better than last year, but not really sure on how better. When was the last time they have played? 03 maybe?

If I remember right we scrimmaged yall in 01 and 02. As far as games go, you have to go back to the mid 90s before we dropped to 1A. Those were some lean years as we were trying to reverse a trend set in motion by a bad coaching hire in 91. It didn't help that we were stuck in the same district as you guys (I believe that was along the time Lynn Graves arrived in SA), along with Alto and Garrison. Times have changed and I'm anxious to see our kids prove we can compete in 2A.

The battle of 259, Ore City vs New Diana, should be a good one, no love lost between the two, 5 miles apart from each other. Game will be played in OC. This is the first time ever that they have met in the season opener, my pick ND 20 OC 7. Let the games begin.

If I remember right we scrimmaged yall in 01 and 02. As far as games go, you have to go back to the mid 90s before we dropped to 1A. Those were some lean years as we were trying to reverse a trend set in motion by a bad coaching hire in 91. It didn't help that we were stuck in the same district as you guys (I believe that was along the time Lynn Graves arrived in SA), along with Alto and Garrison. Times have changed and I'm anxious to see our kids prove we can compete in 2A.

I couldnt remember man... I was in school at that time and still dont lol.

Ya know... SA and Joaquin should have been in 1A this year... SA is well under 200 now...

But, even so we are so small I still see us doing some damage. The JV squad last year was real good and wasnt any pushovers... hopefully they bring it to Varsity...