What regular season games are you most looking foward to?

Mavchamp

Hey....it's July. We're grasping for straws.

But here is how I'd rank Marshall's games in interest for me.

#1: JOHN TYLER: They have been picked as the big bully in the district. There's been a lot of debate whether or not it's deserved. Truth is....we will know well before this game if JT is for real because it will be the fifth district game for both. Most are saying it will have district title implications. If so....the renewal of this near 100 year rivalry could be one of the biggest games at Maverick Stadium in a nice while.

#2: WHITEHOUSE: This is the team most people have picked as the one most likely to upset JT. This could possibly be one of the most intriguing matchups betweeen the Mavs and the Wildcats. Their last two games in 2006 and 2007 were barn burners. They are 2-2 against each other since the series started in 2004.

#3: LONGVIEW: This is the game Marshall uses as a measuring stick. If the Mavs can hang with the Lobos, they can most likely hang with anyone. A win would be monumental in the 100+ year old series that Longview has dominated the last decade. It will be the (official) 100th game (more like....115th, but whose counting? My guess is Big 12...er 10 officials). Always a great atmosphere.

#4: MONROE NEVILLE: The Tigers are the defending state champions entering 2010. And after the Mavs lost a heartbreaking game last season in the muddy monsoon at Ruple Stadium, there could be a pride/revenge factor in this year's game at Maverick Stadium. Neville is one of the most successful programs in class 4A in Louisiana with multiple state titles. Neville is loaded with big, fast guys that are headed to Div I programs. A great nondistrict test for Marshall. This has turned in to one of the best series Marshall has had in recent memory against a team that could play with anyone in Texas.

#5: NACOGDOCHES: I was tempted to make this #4 just based on the backstory, but Neville is a PROVEN winner. Wit that said... the Marshall flavor of Nacogdoches football continues. After former Mav boss Bill Harper retired from Nac last season, the announcement that former Marshall standout player Scott Ford was selected as the new coach was a coup for Nac football. Ford played under Harper in his prep days. Ford had great success down in region IV the last decade or so. But the biggest news came when Dennis Parker joined his staff. Parker led Marshall to the 1990 5A Division I title. Needless to say..... this is a mini civil war. A tremendous amount of Marshall's past football success has been invested in Nacogdoches' future football success. Only time will tell.....but this game should have a LOT of meaning. Even if Nac (or Marshall for that matter) aren't in the playoff chase.

#6: JACKSONVILLE: simple. Revenge. I have a feeling that will be at the top of the list for a lot of Mav players heading into this game. The fact that it will be in the hostile Tomato Bowl only adds flavor (no pun intended) to the matchup. Jacksonville won a nondistrict OT thriller last season at Maverick Stadium. This year, it will have playoff meaning to it as they are in the same district again. Many Mav players may think that last year's controversial end to the game left a sour laste in their mouth. After stopping J-ville at the goal line...it appeared the the Mavs had sealed the win. However.... a roughing the passer penalty with just seconds left in regulation gave the Indians new life....and ultimately the OT win. Better get there early. This could be a good one.

#7 KILGORE: This has become one of Marshall's most fierce rivalries since dropping to 4A. It seems almost every season there has been a district title, a playoff spot, or even playoff advancement on the line when they play each other. Ten meetings in eight seasons can also add some spice to a heated rivalry too. Vallery is gone.....and it remains to be seen if the winning ways parted with him. My guess is no. With that said.....another battle between two programs that know a LOT about each other makes for another exciting game.

#8 HALLSVILLE: Don't let the placement of this game fool you. My guess is that if you were to take a poll of Maverick players as to which game they would most likely HATE to lose....it would most likely be this game. Don't let the record Marshall has against the Bobcats (9-1) fool you into thinking it has been easy. Hallsville and Marshall are as close to cross-town rivals as the Mavs can get. Hallsville's roster is dotted with fomer Mav players. They know each other. The schools are 15 miles apart. Each wants to prove they are better in just about every area. Always a big game. Normally a big crowd (last season was a disappointment).

#9 PINE TREE: It was tough deciding on the finish for the last two games. But I honestly think PT is significantly better than Shreveport Huntington. That said...the Mavs have dominated this series since it started in 2002, going (7-1) against the Pirates since joining 4A. The Pirates have held the game close in recent years until haftime.....only to see it fall apart in the second half. Hard to think there will be a drastic change this season.....but it would be great to see PT turn it around. Just not on this week in this game.

#10 SHREVEPORT HUNTINGTON: The Raiders probably have as many athletes as Marshall. Maybe in the neighborhood of Longview. BUT.... the Raiders always seem to be hindered by the same things year in and year out in this near decade long series. #1 coaching. It seems to be more of a liability than an asset for this team. #2 conditioning. They will hang tough for a half.....but they just run out of gas when the Mavs just seem to be pushing the accelerator. #3... not much support. EVERY GAME in this decade... the game has been played in Marshall. Not one game in Shreveport ($$$ cha-ching for da Raiders!). They rarely bring more than 300-500 fans. Last season their band didn't even show up (it's a half hour drive from Shreveport to Marshall). The list goes on I'm sure..... but a game is a game. And it's better than only 9 games.

So there you go!

Is it August yet?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gilmer @ Carthage. I'll be traveling the 100+ miles for that one!

I'm from Carthage, but live in Fort Worth and will doing the same thing. In fact, I've already got 1/2 day vacation written down on the calendar so no one can mess up my plans to attend the game.

Hey, we could carpool and you can sit on the Carthage side. That game is going to be maybe the biggest district game in East Texas in years. MASSIVE COLLISION.

I'm from Carthage, but live in Fort Worth and will doing the same thing. In fact, I've already got 1/2 day vacation written down on the calendar so no one can mess up my plans to attend the game.

Hey, we could carpool and you can sit on the Carthage side. That game is going to be maybe the biggest district game in East Texas in years. MASSIVE COLLISION.

I don't think the Dawg fans would accept me in my Gilmer Buckeye shirt! :rofl:

1. Liberty Eylau @ Gilmer- was a close game at half and if not for turnovers could have been a battle to the end.

2. LE @ PG -Can't wait to see LE on that turf.

3. LE @ Paul Pewitt- DCTF#25 3A vs #8 2A... both teams like to run, So don't expect a late night

4. Henderson @ LE- 2nd 16 3A opponet of the year. I don't know alot about the Lions except that they return a bunch, but so does LE.

1. Liberty Eylau @ Gilmer- was a close game at half and if not for turnovers could have been a battle to the end.

2. LE @ PG -Can't wait to see LE on that turf.

3. LE @ Paul Pewitt- DCTF#25 3A vs #8 2A... both teams like to run, So don't expect a late night

4. Henderson @ LE- 2nd 16 3A opponet of the year. I don't know alot about the Lions except that they return a bunch, but so does LE.

Dang you Topcat, I forgot all about that LE @ Gilmer game. Thats gonna be a barnburner for sure. Guess Im gonna have to make that one as well! :thumbsup:

I would rate Alto's 10 opponents in this order of wanting to see:

1. Tenaha - Speed will be everywhere and if it's anythign like the playoff game last year then it should feel like a playoff atmosphere

2. Garrison - Probably will be for the district championship

3. Kerens - Top 10 showdown, again, lots of speed on both sides and lots atheltes

4. Groveton - 1st game of the year, OLD rival, lots of returnign starters for the Indians, in Groveton, I think this game will be tougher than most Alto fans may think

5. Frankston - Good , close game last year, they got some players, should be another tough battle

6. Grapeland - Probably gone be some smack talk and has become a rivalry over last 6 years, but Alto has had their number, especially defensively

7. San Augustine - Not SA of old, will still have some athletes

8. Shelbyville - Just doesn't seem like a very appealing game

9. Timpson - See above

10. Cushing - See above

Dang you Topcat, I forgot all about that LE @ Gilmer game. Thats gonna be a barnburner for sure. Guess Im gonna have to make that one as well! :thumbsup:

LOL... If LE can hold onto the ball in the 3rd qtr I expect this will be worth the drive.

Non District - 1.Texas High vs. Arkansas High - Always a huge crowd, although the Tigers have dominated the game of late 2. Texas High vs. Vidor - The game will be @ the newly renovated Lobo stadium and I want to see the stadium and also see how the Tigers look at QB this year. Season opener for Texas High

District - 1. Sherman Bearcats @ Grim. May be a battle for district 2. S. Springs @ S. Springs. Always a tough game. Let's hope for a dry field at Wildcat stadium in Hopkins County.

no disrespect to teague's other opponents but there are three that have my attention.fairfield at teague in week 3,the district opener in crockett and our homecoming game with malakoff.those 3 games will be played before packed houses.its been 6 years since the lions and fairfield have played,it's also been 6 years since teague and the bulldogs have played(teague,crockett and fairfield were in the same district but teague dropped to 2a).coach driskell has lots of friends in teague(married a teague girl) and the malakoff game along with the crockett game will a big impact on the district championship.according to texas football those are the top 3 teams in our disrtict but i know the others in our district dont agree.it's getting closer by the day now and teague folk are ready to start a new era with coach josh finney at the controls.good luck to all the teams.

I'm looking forward to the always classic matchup between Spring Hill and White Oak! You might as well just throw out the rule books in this game, because it doesn't matter at all. This rivalry is one of the most popular one's in East Texas, and everytime these two teams meet, there are gonna be some fireworks.

I'm looking forward to the always classic matchup between Spring Hill and White Oak! You might as well just throw out the rule books in this game, because it doesn't matter at all. This rivalry is one of the most popular one's in East Texas, and everytime these two teams meet, there are gonna be some fireworks.

If I remember, and I'm sure I'll need some help, but didn't Spring Hill have a chance to win this one last year? Lost at end of game, right?

For me its definitely the battle of the G-towns Gladewater vs Gilmer... I feel a upset coming!!

I noticed CVS has the big bottle of TUMS on sale. Might want to begin to stock up before you play that game. You'll need most of what you can afford to buy now between say about 10:15 p.m. after the game through Saturday.