GILMER CAMP

tigertown111

Just wanted to give a big thank you to all the coaches involved...they all did a great job coaching the kids and keeping them focused in the sweltering heat!! Big thanks also to Coach Traylor for bringing a few of the kids back down to earth with the story about Stump Godfrey and the reality of just how hard it is to receive a scholarship.

33 athletes from Teague attended the camp!! That is a fantastic number but the most exciting thing was that we still had over 60 working out back home!!! The kids are definiteoly fired up!!!

the new coaching staff issused a challenged to the kids at teague and so far they have met that challenge with a new attitude,new work ethic and hopefully that will turn into wins on friday night.they have been averaging over 90 kids a day working out!!! the whole town is fired up about the upcoming season.

Just wanted to give a big thank you to all the coaches involved...they all did a great job coaching the kids and keeping them focused in the sweltering heat!! Big thanks also to Coach Traylor for bringing a few of the kids back down to earth with the story about Stump Godfrey and the reality of just how hard it is to receive a scholarship.

What is the Stump Godfrey story?

So many of the kids today believe that if they are good athletes the major colleges will be standing in line to offer them a scholarship when nothing could be farther from the truth...stump was one of the best athletes to come through Gilmer and meybe one of the best in East Tx. in a while. He won lots of games and a state championship but was offered ONE scholarship...one...just helped the kids realize that you have to work very, very hard AND have lots of talent to even get looked at...and then its not a given that you will get an offer.

So many of the kids today believe that if they are good athletes the major colleges will be standing in line to offer them a scholarship when nothing could be farther from the truth...stump was one of the best athletes to come through Gilmer and meybe one of the best in East Tx. in a while. He won lots of games and a state championship but was offered ONE scholarship...one...just helped the kids realize that you have to work very, very hard AND have lots of talent to even get looked at...and then its not a given that you will get an offer.

I was wondering why he didnt go to a bigger school

Go Lions!! That town deserves a decent season or 2 for all the beatings it has taken over the years.

I'd like to know what years all these beatings took place there backer?? You act like teague has taken on the chin for the whole history of the program. You had a similar comment when coach Finney got hired. What years did you play for crockett because I know one year Teague suited up like 16 against the Bulldogs. Other than a couple of horrible seasons in the early 90's late 80's which was the time they suited up 16 or whatever it was and the exception of last season, there has rarely been any beatings you speak of

If my memory serves me, and that is suspect, he was offered K-State(early), Virginia, Tulsa, New Mexico. Chose the latter because of starting potential. But don't quote me on that. I would want to check with Monsieur Traylor to be sure. If he said it that way, I'm shocked.

I'd like to know what years all these beatings took place there backer?? You act like teague has taken on the chin for the whole history of the program. You had a similar comment when coach Finney got hired. What years did you play for crockett because I know one year Teague suited up like 16 against the Bulldogs. Other than a couple of horrible seasons in the early 90's late 80's which was the time they suited up 16 or whatever it was and the exception of last season, there has rarely been any beatings you speak of

Are we going to go down this road again? In many peoples minds....(general statement) Teague has and will continue to be a whipping post for Crockett and other teams that need someone to practice against. Now, I realize that Teague has had a bit of resurgence as of late, but some of us will continue to see Teague as the annoying little neighbor. BTW, I played for Crockett from 87-90.

Are we going to go down this road again? In many peoples minds....(general statement) Teague has and will continue to be a whipping post for Crockett and other teams that need someone to practice against. Now, I realize that Teague has had a bit of resurgence as of late, but some of us will continue to see Teague as the annoying little neighbor. BTW, I played for Crockett from 87-90.

Gotta love that arrogant attitude. Kind a like your attitude at Big Sandy when you guys moved down to 1A...hasn't worked real well there either has it?

Gotta love that arrogant attitude. Kind a like your attitude at Big Sandy when you guys moved down to 1A...hasn't worked real well there either has it?

Gotta love Hiflyincards to jump in and put his 2 cents in for his boy Finney....who knows you may be Finney. Who cares. I was not at Big Sandy when they went through those few years of success so you can take back your little shot at me....I think we went through this already with you a while back....Big Sandy KILLED Maud 2 years in a row and then Maud gets 2 wins in a row...

All I know is this, with BULLDOGBACKER raisin' the yearlings at BS, they should be on the upswing. BUT, this is a gilmer post, so someone needs to start a BS post. OH, by the way, best Supt. in East Texas in Scott Beene. Ya'll are lucky.

We are very lucky to have Scott Beene. I will not take any credit for "raisin' the yearlings". But thanks for your positive reinforcement! :thumbsup:

Gotta love Hiflyincards to jump in and put his 2 cents in for his boy Finney....who knows you may be Finney. Who cares. I was not at Big Sandy when they went through those few years of success so you can take back your little shot at me....I think we went through this already with you a while back....Big Sandy KILLED Maud 2 years in a row and then Maud gets 2 wins in a row...

What does Finney have to do with your arrogance or Teague's past? Sounds personal bulldogbacker