Any Waco area fans on the forum ?

eagles66

I just wondered if we had picked up any new members in the Waco/Central Texas area ? If so, how does Waco Midway, Belton and others look this year.

Welcome to the site and let's hear from some of you all.

I am not a new member but I am originally from the Central Texas Area and I still closely follow the fortunes of Central Texas teams especially the McGregor Bulldogs and Crawford Pirates. I remember Midway when they were a class B team; they are now a 4A team. Belton was a 2A( the equivalent of today's 3A) team when I was there and they are now 5A, bigger than any team in McLennan county.

Can someone please explain to me why Hewitt Midway keeps being referred to as Waco Midway? Midway is not apart of Waco ISD, they are Midway ISD in Hewitt, Tx. I lived in Hewitt and know the difference. The only school districts in the Waco ISD are Waco High, University, Conally, and LaVega! Am I missing something here! Go Panthers!!!!

Can someone please explain to me why Hewitt Midway keeps being referred to as Waco Midway? Midway is not apart of Waco ISD, they are Midway ISD in Hewitt, Tx. I lived in Hewitt and know the difference. The only school districts in the Waco ISD are Waco High, University, Conally, and LaVega! Am I missing something here! Go Panthers!!!!

after living in the Waco area for a while, I think it is easier for people to identify with Midway as a Waco suburb than to try and explain where Hewitt, Texas is located. I think it is the same way when trying to explain where Robinson is located. Funny though, it doesn't seem like people say that about Lorena or China Spring. does anyone know this.... was the township of Hewitt or the Midway school ever in the Waco ISD?

The UIL refers to schools according to post office or zip code. The location of the administrative office is the determining factor.

As you probably know Midway started its existence by the consolidation of the Speegleville and Hewitt districts. The original single school building was located on Highway 84 outside the Waco city limits but located on a Waco rural route. As the community and school grew the area containing the school was incorporated into the new city of Woodway but Woodway was never granted a post office.

Today the school district has many buildings and the area to the south and east of the original school, "Hewitt", has also enjoyed growth and may ( I am not sure) be incorporated into a city with city limits but has it been given a post office or zip code with the name Hewitt? I understand that the Midway ISD administrative office is located nearer to Hewitt but is it still located in the Waco postal zone? If it is, then it is still referred to as "Waco Midway" by the UIL. Of course locally it is referred to as simply "Midway", like Robinson, Conally, University and LaVega (in the Bellmead zip code). Statewide it will still have the UIL name because there is a Midway, Texas with its own zip code.

This naming convention affects schools in the East Texas area as well. The Sabine ISD is located in an unincorporated area called "Liberty City" which is located in the Gladewater zip code and in the Kilgore telephone exchange; thus it is called "Gladewater Sabine" by the UIL and state publications.

I would prefer that the UIL adopt the convention of referring to schools such as Midway as Midway(Waco) as they did formerly.

after living in the Waco area for a while, I think it is easier for people to identify with Midway as a Waco suburb than to try and explain where Hewitt, Texas is located. I think it is the same way when trying to explain where Robinson is located. Funny though, it doesn't seem like people say that about Lorena or China Spring. does anyone know this.... was the township of Hewitt or the Midway school ever in the Waco ISD?

La Vega, incidentally, is not located in the Waco school district, it has its own ISD, as does Conally and Robinson. The only high in the Waco ISD are Waco High and University.

China Spring and Lorena not only have their own school districts but they have their own zip codes as well.

Spegleville and Hewitt always had their own school districts before consolidation into Midway. I am not sure about Hewitt but I know that Spegleville had a "grammar" school (grades 1-8) but no high school. Spegleville kids had to attend high school at Waco. My sixth grade teacher graduated and played girls basketball at Old Waco High School way back in the days when WHS had girls basketball teams before they dropped girls athletics and way before they were forced to readopt them by Title 9 in the early Seventies.