Dez is a receiver, not Roy's valet

Should Dez tote Roy's pads?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dez tote Roy's pads?

• Yes, it is a rite of passage for rookies
    • Yes, it helps bring team unity
    • No, he's there to catch not to carry pads
    • No, hazing is bad

I do think roy has been planning it out since after the draft, to try to push/bully Dez around, since he is scared of being replaced on the starter's list with an actually much better talented rookie. And to try to use "veteran hazing rites of rookies" as an excuse? It just shows how weak minded Roy truly is....Good for Dez

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have not seen a live practice..so I have to ask..how do you know who is outworking who unless your down there( which you might be lol).

Most things I have read say both look good early, but again it is early

Yeah it is early... what I really hope is that when dez gets that first check he doesnt get carried away....And no I am not down there, but I got a friend that has been there every day and has been keepin me informed...lol...he told me everytime roy does anything he gets booed........

The fact is that rookies have to endure some treatment as a rite of passage. Surely you see the haircuts the rookie offensive linemen on this team get every year!!! Carrying the vets pads is a part of it.

Have you so quickly forgotten why Dez fell so far in the draft that we got him? Character issues. How many games did he play last year for Okie State?................

What Dez needs to do is what all rookies do........ carry pads, sing in the lunch room, or whatever else is required. He will not help himself by trying the "I'm talented and everyone is drooling over me so I don't have to do it".

Hopefully Brooking or someone else will "help" him see that he hasn't earned the right to do squat yet, and he will see that it is a team game and not the Dez show. We have had enough of those who believe their talent gives them the right to make their own rules.

"Rant Off"

I am not defending Dez as much as I am just talking straight to RW.....Shut your mouth and earn your money! You are overrated and need to worry more about earning that big contract (and starting job) than whether or not a rookie will carry your freakin pads!

If it were Demarcus Wares pads, I would expect Dez to do it without question. I have lived by a motto for a long time..."Respect is not something you get. Its something you EARN!"

Roy, earn it and I myself will shut up!

I agree with the majority on the overall idea that it is a rite of passage and Dez should earn his way just like those before him. I just dont like the fact that RW is the one making a big deal about it.

By the end of Dez's career, I would bet RW could'nt carry his jock strap! Dez will do so much more than RW ever thought about.

And for the record...as a Longhorn fan, I have always pulled for RW. But I have lost respect for him.

Don't care if he is from Lufkin and he plays for YOUR beloved cowboys...you carry the pads of the vets..#1 picks carry pads what pick was Dez? Get over yourself...i don't know what it is with the WR position but it just breeds individualism.

Don't care if he is from Lufkin and he plays for YOUR beloved cowboys...you carry the pads of the vets..#1 picks carry pads what pick was Dez? Get over yourself...i don't know what it is with the WR position but it just breeds individualism.

Dez would've been boo'd had he been seen carrying Roy's pads (and rightfully so). Brooking said it best. "First of all, that's an in-house matter. How that ever got out I have no idea. If something happens in my house, with my family, I don't go across the street and tell my neighbors about it." Cut Roy. He is a cancer.

Just because nobody likes Roy Williams now it's totally acceptable for a guy to not carry out a tradition that has gone on for years..typical cover the guys you know what just because he can play.

The fact is... Anybody but Roy would've had his pads carried. Roy is the guy that needs to learn his place and any tradition that lets that moron tell anybody to do anything needs to go anyways immediately. What a joke.

First of all. It has nothing to do with which veteran asked Dez to do it. It is the right of anyveteran!

Second, Roy has earned the right by being a veteran. He has put up good stats and continues to work his butt off just like Dez. Dez will get handled privately by other veterans. You can bank that.

Besides... this is all in fun for the veterans. ESPN is making too much of an issue out of nothing.

This is not a big deal at all...Think about some of the things that have been said about this by ESPN..."There is always 2 or 3 rookies a year that do this (referring to Dez' reaction to RW telling him to carry his pads)" Well non of those guys were ever put on blast by ESPN. because it is not an issue...Since it's the dallas cowboys, it's a big deal. honestly...RW is the one guy that i would of said no to also...Miles, sure man i'll take your pads. Sam hurd, yea man let me get those. RW, bro i'm here gunnin' for you, and you know it. Carry your own ####

I think the fact that it was RW is the reason he didn't do it...

Miles, sure man i'll take your pads. Sam hurd, yea man let me get those. RW, bro i'm here gunnin' for you, and you know it. Carry your own ####

I think the fact that it was RW is the reason he didn't do it...

Why yes to Austin and Hurd and no to RW?

Look RW has not had success like expected since the trade, but by all accounts he works his butt off and is always TRYING to be better. It is not like RW is dogging it.

Why yes to Austin and Hurd and no to RW?

Look RW has not had success like expected since the trade, but by all accounts he works his butt off and is always TRYING to be better. It is not like RW is dogging it.

That is not the point. the fact is, everyone including dez bryant knows that RW's stay in dallas thus far has not been a success. regardless of how hard he is working and that the most popular position battle in dallas is dez bryant vs roy williams (maybe not the most important considering our situations on the o line and safety spots) but easily the most popular. so the fact that this particular person that dez is battling against to start his career is the one asking him to hold his pads, he may see it as something personal...which i dont blame him. plus if you are the guy who is in danger of losing your spot, i for one, think that nullifies your right to ask such things from the rookies. i doubt Sam Bradford and Eric berry are carrying anyone's pads. If they are, it's not by someone who is getting bumped on the depth chart.

Roy toted pads as a rookie for the Cowboys? REALLY? I had no idea....

I thought he just ran poor routes, dropped passes, and wrecked the salary cap for the Cowboys.

sidenote: funny you can't type the word that means the round things used in foot###, base###, or soccer

Did I say Roy did it as a rookie with the Cowboys?? Didn't think so. I said Roy did it as a rookie, like all of them do. READ and COMPREHEND. Its not all that difficult when you put youo're mind to it.

Did I say Roy did it as a rookie with the Cowboys?? Didn't think so. I said Roy did it as a rookie, like all of them do. READ and COMPREHEND. Its not all that difficult when you put youo're mind to it.

:nowhearthis: I clearly said "for the Cowboys" in the post you responded to. That's called qualifying the statement. If you look up "for the Cowboys" in the dictionary, you will find out what it means.

READ and COMPREHEND. It's not all that difficult when you put you're mind to it. "For the Cowboys" means "while Roy has played for the Cowboys".

Tip for the kiddies: when whining about someone else's reading and comprehension, be sure to check your own punctuation and spelling. Because you look like a dolt when there are punctuation errors and mispelled words. :thumbsup:

:nowhearthis: I clearly said "for the Cowboys" in the post you responded to. That's called qualifying the statement. If you look up "for the Cowboys" in the dictionary, you will find out what it means.

READ and COMPREHEND. It's not all that difficult when you put you're mind to it. "For the Cowboys" means "while Roy has played for the Cowboys".

Tip for the kiddies: when whining about someone else's reading and comprehension, be sure to check your own punctuation and spelling. Because you look like a dolt when there are punctuation errors and mispelled words. :thumbsup:

I said "Roy carried pads as a rookie" and you decided to once again wrongly criticize. I never said Roy did it as a rookie for the Cowboys. Do you at least understand that part? Probably not. My posts simply stated that "Roy carried pads as a rookie" and you can't even understand that.

Please remove my schools logo from you avatar. You're embarrasing yourself (you're used to that) the other true Longhorns and the University itself.

I said "Roy carried pads as a rookie" and you decided to once again wrongly criticize. I never said Roy did it as a rookie for the Cowboys. Do you at least understand that part? Probably not. My posts simply stated that "Roy carried pads as a rookie" and you can't even understand that.

Please remove my schools logo from you avatar. You're embarrasing yourself (you're used to that) the other true Longhorns and the University itself.

Not going to bother, it's clear you're embarrassed, and nobody cares. Don't worry about it, just read more carefully in the future.

HOOK'EM!

I think the best course of action would be to ban the NFL network and ESPN from the teams practices. Cause I bet you money everything would return to normal then! I hate ESPN and the NFL network for their continual harassment of the of the freakin Cowboys!

Roy wanted to get somthin started thats why he went to members of the media and told them. RW was just trying to use "veteran hazing rites of rookies" as an excuse to get it started...all u got to do is watch the video dez said he didnt want to disrespect anybody.....bottom line this wont matter when season starts.........

This was on espn dallas..all the people that were talkin bout dez character problems should have waited and heard the whole story...

SAN ANTONIO -- Dallas Cowboys rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant said he didn't know about the tradition of carrying a veteran's shoulder pads, and said Tuesday that he will take care of the matter.

Speaking to reporters while he signed autographs following Tuesday morning's practice, Bryant said the media was trying to damage his relationship with teammate Roy Williams.

From the opening practice, Williams had said Bryant has to carry his shoulder pads. But Bryant refused to do so, saying he's here to just play football.

"I didn't know nothing about no tradition," Bryant said. "The only thing about me ... when I try to do something right, ya'll try and turn it negative and I don't feel like that's right. I'm trying my best to do the right thing but it seems like I can't do the right thing because every little thing that I do ya'll watching it and try to make a big deal out of it."

On Monday afternoon, Bryant met with former NFL player and current television analyst Rodney Harrison, who said the rookie needs to carry the pads if asked by a veteran.

"I said this is a situation where this is a custom and a ritual that's been around before you were even born," Harrison said in recalling his conversation with Bryant. "I had to do it and everybody had to do it."

Bryant told Harrison he was disappointed in how the situation became public.

Williams and Bryant said the incident is over and there are no issues between them. One of owner Jerry Jones' grandsons carried Bryant's pads to the locker room and then helped Williams take his pads off following Tuesday morning's practice.

"In his defense, he said, 'You know Rod, I didn't know it would be blown up like this,' " Harrison said. "I told him, 'You're Dez Bryant and anything the media can do, they will do to make you look like a bad guy. You can't do this. You have to show humility and walk up to him and say, I'm going to carry your pads.' He said it's not going to be a problem. It's nipped in the bud. It's a done deal."

If Bryant doesn't carry Williams' shoulder pads, then he will take Williams out to dinner during a break in camp.

"We'll make sure that's no problem ... maybe McDonald's," Williams said.

The issue between Bryant and Williams apparently occurred when the veteran first approached him. Bryant didn't like Williams' tone and -- combined with the fact he didn't know about carrying pads -- that led to the confusion.

"We're fine. It's not even a situation," Bryant said. "Me and Roy is great. Not only me and Roy, but the whole team. Ya'll trying to turn us against each other."

This was on espn dallas..all the people that were talkin bout dez character problems should have waited and heard the whole story...

SAN ANTONIO -- Dallas Cowboys rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant said he didn't know about the tradition of carrying a veteran's shoulder pads, and said Tuesday that he will take care of the matter.

Speaking to reporters while he signed autographs following Tuesday morning's practice, Bryant said the media was trying to damage his relationship with teammate Roy Williams.

From the opening practice, Williams had said Bryant has to carry his shoulder pads. But Bryant refused to do so, saying he's here to just play football.

"I didn't know nothing about no tradition," Bryant said. "The only thing about me ... when I try to do something right, ya'll try and turn it negative and I don't feel like that's right. I'm trying my best to do the right thing but it seems like I can't do the right thing because every little thing that I do ya'll watching it and try to make a big deal out of it."

On Monday afternoon, Bryant met with former NFL player and current television analyst Rodney Harrison, who said the rookie needs to carry the pads if asked by a veteran.

"I said this is a situation where this is a custom and a ritual that's been around before you were even born," Harrison said in recalling his conversation with Bryant. "I had to do it and everybody had to do it."

Bryant told Harrison he was disappointed in how the situation became public.

Williams and Bryant said the incident is over and there are no issues between them. One of owner Jerry Jones' grandsons carried Bryant's pads to the locker room and then helped Williams take his pads off following Tuesday morning's practice.

"In his defense, he said, 'You know Rod, I didn't know it would be blown up like this,' " Harrison said. "I told him, 'You're Dez Bryant and anything the media can do, they will do to make you look like a bad guy. You can't do this. You have to show humility and walk up to him and say, I'm going to carry your pads.' He said it's not going to be a problem. It's nipped in the bud. It's a done deal."

If Bryant doesn't carry Williams' shoulder pads, then he will take Williams out to dinner during a break in camp.

"We'll make sure that's no problem ... maybe McDonald's," Williams said.

The issue between Bryant and Williams apparently occurred when the veteran first approached him. Bryant didn't like Williams' tone and -- combined with the fact he didn't know about carrying pads -- that led to the confusion.

"We're fine. It's not even a situation," Bryant said. "Me and Roy is great. Not only me and Roy, but the whole team. Ya'll trying to turn us against each other."

Good. Maybe all this #### will die down now. Dez is aware of the situation and the hazing, so maybe if he carries a couple of sets of pads to the locker room during training camp, then everyone (the media) will let the issue die.

Maybe in the next few days when the other teams open camp there will be some other worthwhile news and not have the media focusing solely on the Cowboys.

I would love to see Dez carrying Roy's pads and Roy carrying Dez's pads. Then we could watch and see what the media would make out of that. One positive thing that could come out of this overblown media brouhaha is a more tightly nit WR group on the Cowboys' team. I think Dez will make sure he "pays the dues" of the rookie tradition from now on and I don't think this was all about a diva attitude.

This is about the silliest thing the media has ever come up with. If it's a big deal then the veterans will take care of it. IMO it was obviously a message by Roy about Dez's rookie status. Unfortunately little that RW does impresses me, so I'll have to pass on being concerned.