I'm going deep sea fishing in California

Five0pd310

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, there were no swells to speak of at all. The boat seemed to be barely rocking. The fishing was poor. The largest fish caught on the boat with 54 fisherman was a 3 or pound Calico bass. I caught a decent Sculpin, a tiny black sea bass, and a mackerel. My wife and son only caught a couple of small mackerels. I had a ton of fun, but I think I'll be sticking to the gulf coast from now on. Better fishing and bigger fish.

Actually, there were no swells to speak of at all. The boat seemed to be barely rocking. The fishing was poor. The largest fish caught on the boat with 54 fisherman was a 3 or pound Calico bass. I caught a decent Sculpin, a tiny black sea bass, and a mackerel. My wife and son only caught a couple of small mackerels. I had a ton of fun, but I think I'll be sticking to the gulf coast from now on. Better fishing and bigger fish.

Did you go out of So Cal? I've only fished central coast (Morro Bay). At least you didn't have to deal with bad swell. I'd rather fish the gulf coast as well, minus the boat. I really enjoy surf fishing and wade fishing the most. Don't get to go enough though.

Did you go out of So Cal? I've only fished central coast (Morro Bay). At least you didn't have to deal with bad swell. I'd rather fish the gulf coast as well, minus the boat. I really enjoy surf fishing and wade fishing the most. Don't get to go enough though.

Yep. We went out of Dana Point (San Diego). I've never surf fished but I've always wanted to. I don't know anyone who lives on the coast so I wouldn't know where to start. Seems like one of those things you'd need help getting started at. Where to go, what to use, etc.

I made fish tacos with our catch yesterday and it was pretty good. I was trying to figure out what would be the best way to neutralize the greasy mackerel meat, and that recipe seemed to make the most sense. Turned out pretty good. The sculpin was indeed the tastiest of the thre types we had (we were given a calico bass by another fisherman not keeping his catch).

Yep. We went out of Dana Point (San Diego). I've never surf fished but I've always wanted to. I don't know anyone who lives on the coast so I wouldn't know where to start. Seems like one of those things you'd need help getting started at. Where to go, what to use, etc.

You should give it a try. Caught this Redfish at Crystal Beach. Lots of how to on the internet.

Redfish_1.jpg