Liberty-Eylau Volleyball

Dubb

• 2 weeks later...

Paris is 22-3, currently not ranked but probably deserving of a top 15 spot in Class 3A state poll. Two of their losses were to White Oak (certainly no disgrace there), and their other loss was to Class 5A Garland Naaman Forest in the finals of the Royse City tournament (their only hiccup so far on their record).

Their big win was over Prosper at the Prosper tournament. They swept 6 opponents in straight games to easily win the Whitesboro tournament last weekend. They have a senior core group that's been together on varsity for 3 years now, including regional quarters the past 2 seasons. Their matches with L-E should determine the District 15 champion with Pleasant Grove and North Lamar playing the spoiler role and fighting for the 3rd playoff spot from the district. Paris is a fun group to watch, definitely worth the price of admission. Their matches with L-E on Oct. 8 (at L-E before the Paris/L-E football game) and on Oct. 26 (final district match at Paris) will be interesting viewing. By the way, Paris and L-E girls should be instant rivals in basketball, too. L-E is coming off that great state championship run, and Paris has a pretty salty group of veterans returning from back-to-back district champs. Here's a link to Paris High news if you ever need more info: http://blogs.parisisd.net/phsnews/

I will definitely be watching your district closely. Sounds like some good competition within the District. Spring Hill hasn't played Pleasant Grove. They were at the White Oak Tournament but we didn't meet them. We did beat North Lamar in 2 straight at that tournament. Good Luck and we will be watching.

I've noticed that the TGCA ratings seem to be a bit bogus this time of year. Last season they had 5 of the 6 teams in the old District 10 (Paris-North Lamar-Bonham-Van Alstyne-Commerce) ranked and none of those teams made it past the region quarters. I'm not sure how many coaches actually participate in the poll. The bottom line: The pretenders will be weeded out before the regional tournament where No. 1 Lovejoy will probably be waiting. If you haven't found the site, Maxpreps is a good source for researching teams and doing some match-by-match comparisions. It relies on coaches reporting their results and stats, but most of the coaches in District 15-3A do a pretty good job keeping theirs updated: http://www.maxpreps.com/national/volleyball.htm Paris and L-E both deserve recognition. If they keep winning, they'll get noticed, but there's nothing wrong with flying under the radar, either.

I've noticed that the TGCA ratings seem to be a bit bogus this time of year. Last season they had 5 of the 6 teams in the old District 10 (Paris-North Lamar-Bonham-Van Alstyne-Commerce) ranked and none of those teams made it past the region quarters. I'm not sure how many coaches actually participate in the poll. The bottom line: The pretenders will be weeded out before the regional tournament where No. 1 Lovejoy will probably be waiting. If you haven't found the site, Maxpreps is a good source for researching teams and doing some match-by-match comparisions. It relies on coaches reporting their results and stats, but most of the coaches in District 15-3A do a pretty good job keeping theirs updated: http://www.maxpreps.com/national/volleyball.htm Paris and L-E both deserve recognition. If they keep winning, they'll get noticed, but there's nothing wrong with flying under the radar, either.

Yes, the rankings are interesting, but no point in putting much stock in them. I was just a bit surprised to find Gilmer on the list. I've become familiar with MaxPreps in the last few weeks. You're right, good resource. Best of luck this season.

This week's TGCA 3A state poll has L-E #4 and Paris #9. Must have been accidentally overlooked previously. In any case, no more flying under the radar ...

This week's TGCA 3A state poll has L-E #4 and Paris #9. Must have been accidentally overlooked previously. In any case, no more flying under the radar ...

Yeah, like I said, the TGCA poll makes little sense with wild fluctuations early in the year. L-E, Paris, and Prosper (11th) all belonged in the ratings. Region 2 is stacked, and Lovejoy is the big bully in the path of any potential state tourney appearance. Barring an upset, Paris and L-E should both carry long winning streaks into the Oct. 8 match at L-E before the varsity football game. I'll be there.