Dallas vs Washington

The Cowboys were out-coached in this one. Even on the last holding call. We've been having problems the whole game with this guy, why not keep someone in to help? Barber was there... why not sit Barber and chip him whichever side the DE goes to? Romo also panicked a lot tonight when he saw the blitz. I guess the game plan was to get rid of the ball immediately.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was just cruel and USUAL punishment for Cowboy fans... leave Barron, Garrett and Wade in D.C. UGH!!!

I agree in part. But let's not forget Wade is the defensive coordinator in addition to being head coach and the Cowboys' defense was outstanding tonight. Get rid of Garrett and demote Wade to defensive coach.

unbelievable finish to 2 halves. Barron has got to go. to bad they didn't make the call when Brooking was grabbed by his jersey and thrown to the ground on the Redskins last drive. that non call probably cost Dallas only being down 10-7 there at the end. i know many penalties are not called but Dallas had way to many. need to get Colombo and Kosier back.

I can't wait to hear the justification for the last play of the first half.

The bad thing is 4 different people should have had the intelligence to stop that play. The OC (Garrett) #1. If he was dumb enough to call a play there, the head coach (Phillips) #2 should have overruled him. Romo (#3) should be smarter than to try to flip the ball for a nothing gain. And Choice #4 should have the intelligence to go down and avoid a turnover at all cost. Total breakdown of intelligence

I thought Dez did fine. The first 3 passes to him behind the line of scrimmage were puzzling. But what plays aren't from Garrett?

getting bryant the ball on the move seemed to be working, not the short stuff with a corner in his pocket. i don't know the numbers, but i'd like to see how many passes we threw less than 5 yards and then see how many of them actually worked. the barron kid was outmatched the entire night so he had to hold. he should've been given some help if he was gonna get whipped all night, and he did. the only time he handled orakpo was when he was on the sidelines. oh well, that's what the pre-season is for right? we'll go vanilla til the regular season and THEN we open it up!! when do we start for real???

Leave Jerry Jones behind too....Bring back Jimmy Johnson...that #### would never happen back when he was coaching....but if it did..you can bet it would only happen ONCE.. :censored:

JJ wasnt very successful with the Dolphins so I doubt he would be much of an improvement today!

Here are my game notes - I couldn't much watch a second time through, so they're a bit short.

- the zone blocking Mike Shanahan uses is the perfect weapon against our defense, but the Boys were beasts up front and the Redskins never got going except for a 17 yard and 18 yard run late. Spears constantly got in the backfield, and Olshansky didn't give up much ground and even got some qb pressure. Bradie James got the best of Sellers on several occasions.

- I lost count at how many times Casey Rabach held Jay Ratliff at 7. He got flagged only once. He also held Brooking on the only hold that garnered attention. On most of them Rabach clinged to Ratliff like he was a baby squirrel.

- The Redskins ran quite a bit of zone, and the Cowboys had Doughty's number most of the night. Garrett didn't test the safeties much and instead tried to get short passes in front of the corners, who were pressing most of the night. Garrett ran screens like he was playing the Eagles, and only one worked; the screen to Felix Jones when the safety was off 10 yards.

- Robert Brewster and Sam Young outplayed Alex Barron all preseason. I think Cowboys fans finally realized how bad Barron is, and why the Rams drafted Jason Smith when they still had him on the books.

- Jason Witten faced bracket coverage most of the night. With a heavy dose of Dez Bryant, the Skins rolled their other safety in his direction. Garrett basically had a whole game of Miles Austin one-on-one. This should have been a dream scenario.

- Despite two backup lineman, the Boys run blocking was good. Free was excellent for the night, and his only blemish was a phantom false start call. Montrae Holland was good enough, and Leonard Davis had a stellar game in blitz pickup and his pulls. Gurode plays favorably to Haynesworth's style and always gets the best of him.

- The Skins got pressure by bringing extra guys, overloading a side, or bringing two men into a gap. This accounted for quite a bit of how Dallas ran the ball effectively.

Jason Garrett was the problem last nite along with Alex Baron. Wades part of the team did their part.

Exactly. Jason Garrett is the root of the Cowboys problem. I'm not a big fan of Wade's "aw shucks" attitude, but the man does his job as a head coach and does it well. HC's are to delegate now days and be managers for the most part. He is taking care of the D and doing a great job.

As for Garrett, if I say what I really think, they will suspend me and may not ever let me return. No reason to be that bad at what you do. HE'S Jerry's hand picked "next head coach". That just makes me ill. He's a joke.

Someone mentioned to me that Garrett's quirky gameplan may have been because they trusted Alex Barron so little. They used Bennett and Witten extensively to give him help, kept backs in on his side, and heavily ran to the left. They even used an unbalanced line several times because it seemed the Cowboys had more faith in letting Martellus Bennett play the RT spot than Barron.

Bring on Robert Brewster.

This is from Yahoo Sports on May 7, 2010:

The latest NFL trade doesn't involve a big name going to a new team, or a swap of huge contracts. It's based more on the hope that two high-drafted and ultimately disappointing players can find new roles and success in new environments. The principals, St. Louis Rams offensive tackle Alex Barron(notes) and Dallas Cowboys linebacker Bobby Carpenter(notes), will be traded for each other as soon as Barron signs his restricted free-agent tender, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Barron, who was made redundant by the ascent of Jason Smith(notes) and the 2010 selection of Rodger Saffold(notes), is a talented but inconsistent player who struggles with technique and penalties -- more on that in a minute.

Carpenter, who was drafted by Bill Parcells at least in part because the Big Tuna coached his father, Rob Carpenter, with the Giants in the 1980s, has started a grand total of three games in his four-year career. That's far less than you require from a player taken with the 18th overall pick; he wasn't involved in enough plays in the 2009 season to make the grade for Dallas' front seven numbers for Football Outsiders. It's possible that the Ohio State alum will find more success as a weakside linebacker in St. Louis' 4-3 defense than he ever did in Dallas' various 3-4 and 5-2-4 looks.

As for Barron, he'll replace the departed Flozell Adams(notes) in two very important ways. First, he'll most likely bump Doug Free(notes) as Dallas' swing tackle as a too-old offensive line looks to rebuild. Second, he'll keep the Cowboys penalty totals at a high rate. According to Football Outsiders' penalty database, Adams was flagged 13 times in 2009, second-highest in the NFL. The only guy to beat him was ... you guessed it. Barron was penalized 14 times in 2009, including declined and offsetting, and it's a common trend for the tackle, who was taken 19th overall in the 2005 draft. In 2007, Barron was flagged 16 times -- only Oakland lineman Robert Gallery(notes) had more laundry thrown in his direction. And in 2006, his 16 flags trailed only Baltimore cornerback Chris McAlister's(notes) 18. He found unusual discipline in 2008 with a mere 11, so he has that going for him. Still, it's going to be tough for Barron to improve on his rookie campaign, when he led the league with 18 penalties.

The nice thing about Barron is that he doesn't discriminate -- he's a multi-dimensional penalty machine. While he preferred false starts early in his career (nine of them, compared to just five holds in that initial campaign), he's managed to develop a holding style that's really attracted the attention of the league's officiating crews. In 2009, he put together a league-leading seven holds with just five false starts. That's what you want in an offensive lineman -- versatility!

Cowboys line coach Hudson Houck may have thought that Adams' departure could lead to a more disciplined front five. Don't throw out the Advil, Coach -- you may now have the kind of penalty greatness to which Adams could only aspire.