Teague Athlete Denied Eligibility By UIL

eagles66

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The UIL and their rules continue to baffle me. I don't know the particulars in this case but in other cases I have been privy to the decisions were absurd in my opinion. How can they determine that a kid and his family have moved into a school district for athletic reasons??? And even if they did but followed the rules by moving into the district legally how can they deny a kid the ability to play? I don't recall hearing anything about a band member who moved to be in a bigger band being ruled ineligible to be in the band. The UIL says they are there for the kids and some of the rulings they come out with cause one to wonder in certain situations if this is truthful!

The UIL and their rules continue to baffle me. I don't know the particulars in this case but in other cases I have been privy to the decisions were absurd in my opinion. How can they determine that a kid and his family have moved into a school district for athletic reasons??? And even if they did but followed the rules by moving into the district legally how can they deny a kid the ability to play? I don't recall hearing anything about a band member who moved to be in a bigger band being ruled ineligible to be in the band. The UIL says they are there for the kids and some of the rulings they come out with cause one to wonder in certain situations if this is truthful!

:bangin:

I agree! Why shouldn't a family be able to make a decision that could help them and their child better themselves. They act as if Football or any sport now days isn't a career( get with it UIL it is and will pay for education). If there is a proven program that gets more recognition than others then why would you not want to move your kid to that school to play for proven coaches that will and have proven they can teach your child to advance to the next level. They are trying to keep Highschools from recruiting and usually that is not the case anyway. It is usuallly looking out for the kids best chance to better themselves nothing more. The sad part is by the time you hire a layer and get these things corrected they have already gotton away with hurting these type familes. Lets say for instance this kid was a top recruit to start with, well the chances are the family was forced to move for work reasons and the kid just happen to be drug along into something he or she didn't have a choice in. Sorry I just hate seeing things like that play out the way they do sometimes.

:bangin:

I agree! Why shouldn't a family be able to make a decision that could help them and their child better themselves. They act as if Football or any sport now days isn't a career( get with it UIL it is and will pay for education). If there is a proven program that gets more recognition than others then why would you not want to move your kid to that school to play for proven coaches that will and have proven they can teach your child to advance to the next level. They are trying to keep Highschools from recruiting and usually that is not the case anyway. It is usuallly looking out for the kids best chance to better themselves nothing more. The sad part is by the time you hire a layer and get these things corrected they have already gotton away with hurting these type familes. Lets say for instance this kid was a top recruit to start with, well the chances are the family was forced to move for work reasons and the kid just happen to be drug along into something he or she didn't have a choice in. Sorry I just hate seeing things like that play out the way they do sometimes.

In your last scenario, the kid would be eligible because the parents are moving because of work. If the previous school knows the family is leaving because of parent's job, they will put for non-athletic reasons. If the previous school knows they are moving because of athletics, they will indicate that on the transfer papers.

If a kid is good, the colleges will find them. The kid most likely went to all types of camps in the summer and the college coaches already know about the kid.

Most on here know who I am and where I am from so obviously I have some knowledge about this case and I am completely shocked with this decision...I guess we should never be shocked with anything the UIL does after some of the realignment decisions!! This kid is absolutely dirt poor and has nothing going for him except sports. His mother is a single parent and moved to Teague to be closer to her job. We had never seen the kid till he walked in and said he had moved to Teague from a neighboring town. Looking at the facts we figured it was an open and shut case...boy were we wrong!! When we get the paperwork from the other town we are surprised to see that the AD said the kid has moved for athletic reasons only...hmmmmm...now that's strange...come to find out there is a history between the kid and the AD...Ad has kicked him out and bans the kid from ever being in athletics in that school again!! Those are the facts that the UIL had before them...proof of residency was established...guess they believed one person over another or the UIL has employed a mind reader to know what people are thinking...the young man is a senior...and he is now done...as I am writing this I still can't believe it...and the UIL is in it for the kids?

I don't recall hearing anything about a band member who moved to be in a bigger band being ruled ineligible to be in the band.

You should know that band programs don't fall under the "Amateur Athletic Rule", one of the things that all athletic programs have to live. Music organizations (as well as their booster clubs) have a completely different set of guidelines to follow than our athletic cohorts. Parents and band booster clubs can feed bands every day of the week if they wanted to (and have the money). It's just different.

So, moving from one school to another to be in their band, while possible, only falls within the discretion of the receiving band director and/or district to accept their transfer status.

Most on here know who I am and where I am from so obviously I have some knowledge about this case and I am completely shocked with this decision...I guess we should never be shocked with anything the UIL does after some of the realignment decisions!! This kid is absolutely dirt poor and has nothing going for him except sports. His mother is a single parent and moved to Teague to be closer to her job. We had never seen the kid till he walked in and said he had moved to Teague from a neighboring town. Looking at the facts we figured it was an open and shut case...boy were we wrong!! When we get the paperwork from the other town we are surprised to see that the AD said the kid has moved for athletic reasons only...hmmmmm...now that's strange...come to find out there is a history between the kid and the AD...Ad has kicked him out and bans the kid from ever being in athletics in that school again!! Those are the facts that the UIL had before them...proof of residency was established...guess they believed one person over another or the UIL has employed a mind reader to know what people are thinking...the young man is a senior...and he is now done...as I am writing this I still can't believe it...and the UIL is in it for the kids?

Terrible news, Blessed. I hate to hear it. Maybe an appeal? Hope you and yours are doing well. Here at JB, things are good....my boy had 19 tackles the other night in Prairiland.

In your last scenario, the kid would be eligible because the parents are moving because of work. If the previous school knows the family is leaving because of parent's job, they will put for non-athletic reasons. If the previous school knows they are moving because of athletics, they will indicate that on the transfer papers.

If a kid is good, the colleges will find them. The kid most likely went to all types of camps in the summer and the college coaches already know about the kid.

Sounds like the previous school AD should get takwn to court and sued! His decision could change the outcome of a young man for ever for what reason really? Jealousy or just have hard feelings. That's carzy!

I'd appeal and take the parent and kid with me to Austin. Make the other coach look him in the eyes and tell his side to the parent.

I agree with the above......appeal it! From what i've seen if you will go through the trouble of appealing it the UIL will usually rule for the kid.

The previous coach must be a tool. If he kicked him out of athletics then why would he even care?

Blessed, I have some knowledge about this case also. Nobody has mentioned what the mother said to the coach that made him have to put the answer he put. The UIL also had that information and nobody evidently disputed what she said, which to my knowlege involved moving to play sports. I thought the coach had to answer the form honestly, but evidently people on here and the other site think the coach should ignore the truth and the rule.

what is teagues record this year? how are they doing under the new staff?

teague is 2-1 with a bye this week.the lions are responding to the new staff,the lions have had their share of injuries so far and need this week to get a little healther.best defense player was hurt in fairfield game and is out for 4-8 weeks(middle lb).everything is going good and we think we can make a run at one of the play-off spots.

what is teagues record this year? how are they doing under the new staff?

We are 2-1 and way ahead of where we thought we would be. The kids had to learn a completely new offense and defense and also learn how to win...the kid in question hasn't played varsity so it won't make a difference as far as the team goes but it just makes me sick to see a kid that has had lots of problems actually try to change and do what is right only to be pushed back down again...I just don't understand the mindset of the UIL at all.

Good luck to you guys at Maud and Bowie this week...we miss all our old friends up north...go get another "W"!!

Sorry player73...we were posting it at the same time!! Great minds think alike!!! LOLOLOL!!!