bad news for Greenville

rcdawgdad

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a hard process. Kids as well as coaches should be held accountable, bottom line. That is the problem in some programs today no accountablity.

You are correct about the accountability issue, I have watched a program for 4 years with no accountability from coaches, players, and administration and we win 1-2 games a year but we play the board members kid and keep the supt. happy and we keep our job. This is a bad situation for the kids who care about disipline and pride. I APPLAUD the coach who stands up for the right thing, hang in there coach and you will be better in the long run.

nobody is trying to blame the coach but he should have stayed with the players that stayed with him....if you read my post i said i applaud him for the stance that he took...the missing practice could have been addressed after practice was over...it was not a matter of life or death they were eating pizza

i kinda feel stupid even responding to this post but i will anyway. don't you think he might have wanted to check for himself to make sure what was happening? the guy had no choice. and i hope politics or being politically correct doesn't play into this. if it does, it will overrule right from wrong.

i kinda feel stupid even responding to this post but i will anyway. don't you think he might have wanted to check for himself to make sure what was happening? the guy had no choice. and i hope politics or being politically correct doesn't play into this. if it does, it will overrule right from wrong.

i feel even stupider responding to this post...it was an administrater who found them...if you cannot take their word whose word can you take....finish practice and then address the missing practice issue

Here is how I see it, the coach absolutely made the right decesion. Now as far as leaving practice, don't you think it is easier to justify that decesion when he saw them there himself. You know these kids parents are going to be complaining about this decesion. Now they can't say that someone didn't like their child and said these things. It takes the he said, she said out of it.

Bottom line is this. Coach Cooper taught 40 boys the other day what responsibility was. He taught 40 boys that nothing is more important than loyalty. He let 40 young men know that he would take heart and loyalty over talent. He made more of an impact leaving the field and making his point than staying there. Regardless if it takes away the wins, regardless of what loop hole you can try to find other than that was just the right thing to do, he made a lasting impression beyond football. I wish we had more coaches like him. Greenville needs him. He's a God send. End of story.

Really? I just figured the rest of the team that was AT practice were the real team players. Team players do not skip football practice to go eat pizza, whether they run as punishment or not.

I keep hoping there is more to the story that what has been reported. Why even sign up for a sport if you aren't going to go to EVERY practice.

let me reword this, i worded that wrong, i ment more along the lines that there the ones who sucked it up and accepted what they did was wrong and realized the team is more important

Really? I just figured the rest of the team that was AT practice were the real team players. Team players do not skip football practice to go eat pizza, whether they run as punishment or not.

I keep hoping there is more to the story that what has been reported. Why even sign up for a sport if you aren't going to go to EVERY practice.

Don't mind him ThreeJs....he is a tuba player in the band.

Just to set the record straight for all those on this thread that don't reside in the big G, CiCi's is literally a par 5 from the practice field. Coach Cooper could have ran over there, done his thing, and ran back and still not missed more than 15 minutes of practice. My guess is, the players that remained on the field felt pretty good about themselves when Coach Cooper made it back. So the whole argument about leaving practice...bla bla bla....... is just lame. Sorry.

Here is how I see it, the coach absolutely made the right decesion. Now as far as leaving practice, don't you think it is easier to justify that decesion when he saw them there himself. You know these kids parents are going to be complaining about this decesion. Now they can't say that someone didn't like their child and said these things. It takes the he said, she said out of it.

In a place like Greenville, you never know if those kids even see or live with their parents. And thats why Coach Cooper is a great fit there. He is a great mentor and father figure to alot of kids who don't know any better because they have never been taught these things. I don't know if that is the exact case here, but I could see it being the case.

Just to set the record straight for all those on this thread that don't reside in the big G, CiCi's is literally a par 5 from the practice field. Coach Cooper could have ran over there, done his thing, and ran back and still not missed more than 15 minutes of practice. My guess is, the players that remained on the field felt pretty good about themselves when Coach Cooper made it back. So the whole argument about leaving practice...bla bla bla....... is just lame. Sorry.

on top of that, how many assistants does he have to continue practice. it's his team and his responsibility. he did the right thing all the way around as i see it. he even gave them an option to correct their mistake and they thumbed their nose at it. can't have that kind of attitude on the team. maybe they will learn something from this. if not, the coach tried.

i feel even stupider responding to this post...it was an administrater who found them...if you cannot take their word whose word can you take....finish practice and then address the missing practice issue

If you ever coach a team, please let me know where so I will not take my kid there. The head coach missing a small portion of one practice for this situation is exactly what he should have done. Coaches miss practice for numerous reasons throughout the year. I would be totatlly surprised if a head coach was at every single practice and never missed for any reason. It lets the other players know exactly how he feels about the team and shows them that he will not allow others to go off and leave the team behind. Can not believe anyone that watches football or would be on a football forum would feel this way about the coach. This is something I would expect from the treehuggers in California. If he waits til later, instead of catching them in the act, then the impact is not as great. The TEAM seeing those that decided to return and watching them carry out there punishment will not only teach the young men that the coach cares about them as a team but also teaches them that there are consequences for there actions.

Why wait? The players (former players) did not wait to go eat after practice. Like I said before, we can choose our actions but we cannot choose the consequences of our actions. Sometimes the payback is immediate other times you are made to wait.

nobody is trying to blame the coach but he should have stayed with the players that stayed with him....if you read my post i said i applaud him for the stance that he took...the missing practice could have been addressed after practice was over...it was not a matter of life or death they were eating pizza

YES, YOU ARE! You are probably the kind of parent that would have a problem with discipline. Maybe you need some yourself.

Are you ####? What coach in his right mind would pass on the opportunity to see the looks on those players faces when he walked through the door and caught them skipping practice. That is a priceless experience, nothing like catching someone red-handed.

You go coach. I'd change the punishment though. I would only make them run 3 miles........... After we had a nice long dinner at CiCi's.