Mesquite Horn v.s Longview

lobo09

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I said I wasnt going to be a downer anymore this season, but our offense is lacking big time. Horn is an ok team, but we better start playing 4 quarters on offense or we will be 1 and out in the playoffs. Also, if Horn had their starting QB healthy, they had receivers open a BUNCH.

Horn went for it on 4th and no sure what happened. Sounds like he was down...then fumbled and recovered it?

Either way, Longview ball and a good stop with Horn driving.

That was a bad call IMO. He didnt look down when he fumbled. We got lucky.

Horn offense wasnt that good. Longview offensive line wasnt blocking well at all,but they did block when they needed to. Horn qb was hitting his Wr right in the hands with the football the Wr were just dropping the ball all night that gave longview a few breaks,but longview defense played well. Horn defensive line played really good if Horn can get there offense going they're going to be a dangerous team.If Longview can play 4 qrts of the 1st half they played against mesquite they will be a great football team.

That was a bad call IMO. He didnt look down when he fumbled. We got lucky.

The official explained that if he fumbles behind the first down marker on 4th down, it can't be recovered for a first down. Or something like that. Not sure what the rules are on that (because you don't see that too often), but it was the correct call. Nothing to do with him being down.

Explain this one to me!

Horn lines up. The Center puts his hands on the ball. He then takes his hands off the ball to look to the sideline for the play. the Lobo defender picks up the ball. That should be Lobo Football!

Instead Lobos get a five yard penalty. I happened to catch it on film.

Explain this one to me!

Horn lines up. The Center puts his hands on the ball. He then takes his hands off the ball to look to the sideline for the play. the Lobo defender picks up the ball. That should be Lobo Football!

Instead Lobos get a five yard penalty. I happened to catch it on film.

should be Longview ball

The official explained that if he fumbles behind the first down marker on 4th down, it can't be recovered for a first down. Or something like that. Not sure what the rules are on that (because you don't see that too often), but it was the correct call. Nothing to do with him being down.

The announcers said it was so that players wouldn't intentionally fumble it. So when he was going down...he fumbled it....only he would've been able to recover it for it to count as a first down. But his lineman instead was the one who recovered it.

I've never in my life heard of that rule. But I'll take it.

Longview O Line got destroyed it sounded like tonight. Very lucky to get a W in this one.

I said I wasnt going to be a downer anymore this season, but our offense is lacking big time. Horn is an ok team, but we better start playing 4 quarters on offense or we will be 1 and out in the playoffs. Also, if Horn had their starting QB healthy, they had receivers open a BUNCH.

I think inconsistent is the way to put it. offense has been very good at times. against lufkin, abiliene, and even allen, and most of mesquite game they were good. they played horrible in this game though.

playcalling was very questionable. I am not a coach but horn had the whole team, the band, and the fans in the box to stop the run and we run the same two plays over and over again right up the middle and throw in a pass to the flat here and there. I just dont get it.

Hard fought football game, lots of home cooking.

hey man you dont win six straight undefeated district championships all by yourself. in fact we get homecooking even on the road in two trips to the 4a championship game.

I think inconsistent is the way to put it. offense has been very good at times. against lufkin, abiliene, and even allen, and most of mesquite game they were good. they played horrible in this game though.

playcalling was very questionable. I am not a coach but horn had the whole team, the band, and the fans in the box to stop the run and we run the same two plays over and over again right up the middle and throw in a pass to the flat here and there. I just dont get it.

I wasn't at the game so can't really say for sure, but it sounded as if the O line went back to the way they played against Marshall and John Tyler, which was terrible.

Don't underestimate this Horn team. I'm still convinced this was for the District Championship. We'll find out next week with Horn going to DeSoto.

The rule is that the offense can't advance a ball that is fumbled forward. The player appeared to be short of the first down and fumbled the ball forward (possibly on purpose) which was recovered by a lineman past the first down marker. They put the ball at the spot of the fumble and it was short.

Horn was playing an odd alignment on defense and were VERY disciplined in their gap assignments. Their ends and backers always stayed home on the bootlegs and it appeared their strategy was to purposefully not get penetration but to stay near the line of scrimmage with their linemen to clog the running lanes. Longview purposefully plays their I-back very deep in part to take advantage of vertical gaps that form when a defense gets overzealous and too far upfield. Longview had some success with the fullback and running out of the spread, but for the most part they were only getting 2-3 yards per carry due to the defensive discipline. Horn is a very, very, very well-coached team.

The rule is that the offense can't advance a ball that is fumbled forward. The player appeared to be short of the first down and fumbled the ball forward (possibly on purpose) which was recovered by a lineman past the first down marker. They put the ball at the spot of the fumble and it was short.

Horn was playing an odd alignment on defense and were VERY disciplined in their gap assignments. Their ends and backers always stayed home on the bootlegs and it appeared their strategy was to purposefully not get penetration but to stay near the line of scrimmage with their linemen to clog the running lanes. Longview purposefully plays their I-back very deep in part to take advantage of vertical gaps that form when a defense gets overzealous and too far upfield. Longview had some success with the fullback and running out of the spread, but for the most part they were only getting 2-3 yards per carry due to the defensive discipline. Horn is a very, very, very well-coached team.

4th down fumble rule...only the person who fumbles the ball can recover and advance the fumble. if anyone else recovers, then ball is brought back to the spot of the fumble.

They weren't the same two plays. They may look like it because they're "runs up the middle", but they are very different plays. Those "same two running plays" got us tons of yards and won the game against Abilene for us... Mesquite Horn was very athletic on defense, and when the line doesn't execute, it means we end up with 13 points. I blame lack of execution more than I blame playcall, but there were a few calls that I disagreed with. But that's why I'm not a coach for a living. Thankfully, our defense was outstanding other than about 2 plays, and it meant a win against a pretty good football team.

If you followed the defensive play of Horn closely, it was apparent that they were doing the exact same thing that JT did. they committed their entire front 7 to the inside running game. The ends kept crashing down inside and the LBs played the line of scrimmage and gap assignment. They dared us to run outside, b/c they know that we don't have the speed to do so (as we have for the last 5-6 years) The last time we were this slow at the TB position was when we had Jerell Williams in 02 or 03. We had a FB who could burn, but we don't have that either. We brought up Tory White (think that is his name) from JV. He can absolutely burn out there...where is he at?

What drove me absolutely crazy about this game was the failure to take advantage of the over committment of the Horn front 7. Where were the short passes to the TE???? I was also stunned that we didn't continue to throw the quick passes to the WRs when the CBs were playing 10 yds off the ball..they couldn't stop it when we threw it...poor play calling in my opinion....

If you followed the defensive play of Horn closely, it was apparent that they were doing the exact same thing that JT did. they committed their entire front 7 to the inside running game. The ends kept crashing down inside and the LBs played the line of scrimmage and gap assignment. They dared us to run outside, b/c they know that we don't have the speed to do so (as we have for the last 5-6 years) The last time we were this slow at the TB position was when we had Jerell Williams in 02 or 03. We had a FB who could burn, but we don't have that either. We brought up Tory White (think that is his name) from JV. He can absolutely burn out there...where is he at?

What drove me absolutely crazy about this game was the failure to take advantage of the over committment of the Horn front 7. Where were the short passes to the TE???? I was also stunned that we didn't continue to throw the quick passes to the WRs when the CBs were playing 10 yds off the ball..they couldn't stop it when we threw it...poor play calling in my opinion....

Yep was also wondering why not kick it out andwhy not some more creative passing. Need to get some who can come in and cut outside.

What's going on '04!!!??? Say, when are you or Lobofan 07 going to upload the Longview vs. Abilene game WITH COMMENTARY to youtube??? I'm over here feening for it! LOL!!!

A conversation with Mr. Palmer (the LISD Media/Tech teacher who has produced the games the last few years) basically told me that he didn't attend the game and only had coach's film to sync to the radio. But the coaches don't want the film given out until AFTER the season, but he promised me he'd have DVD copies after the season. I'll be sure and keep you updated.