Regional Quarterfinals

topher805

Region 2-3A semifinals Friday at A&M-Commerce:

• 6 PM: Prosper vs. Spring Hill
  • 8 PM: No. 1 Lucas Lovejoy vs. No. 4 Paris
The latest TGCA poll lists only a top 10 once the playoffs begin, but both Prosper and Spring Hill have been consistently listed in the top 15 all season. I'd rate the Prosper-SH match a tossup. Prosper is down a bit from the past two seasons but finished 2nd in district to Lovejoy. They certainly know what it takes to compete at this level. This should be an interesting opener.

Lovejoy is the huge favorite in the nitecap despite Paris' #4 ranking. According to MaxPreps, the Lady Leopards are listed #13 and #15 in its two national ranking services. Paris is #953. If any of the other 3 teams can knock off Lovejoy this weekend (Finals at 2 PM on Saturday), it would be an upset of 1980 U.S. Hockey Team proportions. Do you believe in miracles?

I am predicting a win by SH over Prosper, and a showdown with Lucas Lovejoy in the Regional Finals!

I'll predict a final of Prosper - Lovejoy. Hope I'm wrong and it's totally opposite but IMO it will take a couple of upsets for either of those to get beat.

Parisian, i want to say the same for the Paris fans. A very good following for the Ladys from Paris. Your fans were awesome. I stayed and watched the first two games of your match with Lovejoy. They are certainly everything they are made out to be. I thought your girls played very well and with a lot of heart. But i don't think any of us had a chance against Lovejoy. I think Prosper will fall to them just as bad as they did in District. I am certainly proud of the ladys from Paris and the ladys from SH. I think they showed everyone they deserved to be there.

I've enjoyed the Smoaky banter with you during the season. Its been a great season for both schools.

Ditto from my end, Cowboy1. Both Spring Hill and Paris players and fans displayed a ton of class and heart. We were pulling for your girls to pull it out vs. Prosper, but it ultimately didn't matter. Lovejoy is definitely not 3A level volleyball. Right now they have their pick of talent in the Dallas area. If you check out their star (#7) player's website http://www.ebonynwanebu.com it begins with the sentence "Hi, I'm Ebony and I have been selected to play on the 2010 Lovejoy High School varsity team." It raises all sorts of red flags to me about fairness and equity on the high school sports landscape, but that's how it is. Heavily influenced club sports like volleyball, soccer, and to some extent baseball and softball, will always favor schools in a geographic proximity to club hotbeds. Don't know what the year-round sports club scene is like in Longview, but kids in the boonies like Paris face a 200-mile round trip drive to get the same kind of off-season instruction and competition that the Dallas area kids can find at home on a daily basis. North Lamar was able to break through last year in 3A softball, but that's a rarity for East Texas schools, at least for 3A and above.

Wish SH and Paris could have played each other this year. It definitely would have been crowd-pleasing and spirited.

Ditto from my end, Cowboy1. Both Spring Hill and Paris players and fans displayed a ton of class and heart. We were pulling for your girls to pull it out vs. Prosper, but it ultimately didn't matter. Lovejoy is definitely not 3A level volleyball. Right now they have their pick of talent in the Dallas area. If you check out their star (#7) player's website http://www.ebonynwanebu.com it begins with the sentence "Hi, I'm Ebony and I have been selected to play on the 2010 Lovejoy High School varsity team." It raises all sorts of red flags to me about fairness and equity on the high school sports landscape, but that's how it is. Heavily influenced club sports like volleyball, soccer, and to some extent baseball and softball, will always favor schools in a geographic proximity to club hotbeds. Don't know what the year-round sports club scene is like in Longview, but kids in the boonies like Paris face a 200-mile round trip drive to get the same kind of off-season instruction and competition that the Dallas area kids can find at home on a daily basis. North Lamar was able to break through last year in 3A softball, but that's a rarity for East Texas schools, at least for 3A and above.

Wish SH and Paris could have played each other this year. It definitely would have been crowd-pleasing and spirited.

You make a good point about the advantage metroplex schools have. Near Longview, I know that some of the players from New Diana, White Oak, Hallsville and Pine Tree are involved with club volleyball (local practices, metroplex tournaments). These are all solid programs, so it definitely helps. But on top of the club fees, the time and money commitment for East Texas kids to make weekend trips to DFW is significant. Definitely a lot easier to do when you live there.

Unfortunately due to our size and the fact that there aren't that many of us in East Texas, 4A teams usually have to face a metroplex team pretty early in the playoffs. Pine Tree got a tough draw in Red Oak in the 2nd round, but played them fairly tough in a 3-1 loss. Red Oak then advanced to the regional final where they fell 3-1 to #1 Richardson Pearce. At least the 3A teams have a reasonable chance of a fairly deep run before they face a metroplex team.

However, I will say this - I enjoy the privilege of driving home to East Texas from the metroplex after games, tournaments, etc. Sure beats having to live there!

We broadcast for Lovejoy and we were at the SH/Prosper game. The SH student section may be the best I have ever seen! They were awesome! We spoke about it a little on our broadcast. Every team should be lucky to have fans like that.

Crazy Carl and the Roller Coaster cracked me up! Great game against Prosper. SH gave them all they could handle.

We broadcast for Lovejoy and we were at the SH/Prosper game. The SH student section may be the best I have ever seen! They were awesome! We spoke about it a little on our broadcast. Every team should be lucky to have fans like that.

Crazy Carl and the Roller Coaster cracked me up! Great game against Prosper. SH gave them all they could handle.

But do they "paint up" for games??

5038437686_38c536bfb2.jpg5079822415_47df5bd70b.jpg4999935383_5d727c5e8d.jpg

Thanks for the very nice compliment about our SH student section fans. They are a great group of kids. They are called "The Pack". Kids in different sports rotate in and out depending on if they are playing or not. They are at all our sporting events. I can assure you, that spirit truly helps our volleyball and basketball teams stay fired up. Crazy Carl is a real character. He plays basketball so, he will be out of The Pack until after basketball season. You can go to YouTube and search Spring Hill Pack Roller Coaster and see a video. Thanks for the kudos on our Lady Panthers. They had a great run. Good Luck to Lovejoy. I think they will bring it home again. They are a step above and a truly great team.