Worst Team Names

MWesten

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was, and still am proud to be a White Oak Roughneck (Lady Neck). Since WO is located in the middle of the East Texas oil field, it is a very appropriate mascot name. Plus I had many relatives, including my dad, who roughnecked in the oil field and also knew that this was a job only for "real men." And now the the WO Lady Necks are STATE 2A Volleyball CHAMPS and I thouroughy enjoyed watching that match in person. :clap: :happy65: :clap:

Having said that...I am glad to have not been a Lady Hippo, Lady Heifer, or Lady Dog!!!! As a female it just doesn't sit well with me. :no:

• 1 month later...

Listening to Friday night football scoreboard in Arkansas was always funny what with the Red Bugs, Pine Bluff Zebras (love those uniforms) and there was a team called the Curley Wolves. my favorite out of state discovery was the Rocky Ford, CO Meloneers-yeah they grow lots of melons there!

I love the unusual names of Texas school mascots.

Can't believe that the Brazosport Exporters where not on this thread so far.

The girls are the Lady Exporters

Also you gotta love the the Indians and Maidens of both Jacksonville and Frankston, although the Santa Fe Indians are accompanied by the Lady Indians.

A few years a coach made the suggestions for Jacksonville High School to consider changing their mascot from the Maidens to the Lady Indians. It was shot down almost instantly. So the settled on the Fightin' Maidens.

Also who can forget the Brownsboro Bearettes.

The Grays Harbor College Chokers

The University of Hawaii Rainbow Warriors

The Butte Pirates

UC Santa Barbara Banana Slugs

The Beaver Beavers (Ut)

FYI, U of Hawaii officially dropped the "Rainbow" from their name and left it at "Warriors," while June Jones was there.

They were catching a lot of flack for the gay connection to the word rainbow and apparently it was affecting recruiting.

I have the best one of all and it's a great story, IMO.

In Abilene, Texas, there is McMurry University. It's a Methodist university founded by a man who missioned with the Indians of Texas most of his life. As a tribute to the people the founder loved so dearly and dedicated so much of his life to - McMurry took the name and mascot of "Indians." This happened decades and decades ago.

Spin the clock forward and a lawsuit is brought against the school because someone is offended by the name "Indians." Courts make the school drop the mascot and name it featured for so long.

So what did they do when told they had to change their name?

Nothing.

They are now known as just "McMurry." There is no mascot, no name. Their jerseys just say "McMurry."

That was a a fantastic move on McMurry's part, IMO.

Grant Teaff's first coaching job was at McMurry.

There is a consolidated team in Iowa called the Gladbrook/Reindbeck Rebels... yeah, think about that a minute...

I have seen two different descriptions for a Wampus Cat, actually. One would be a six-legged big cat. the other would be a half mountain lion and half alligator concoction that I saw stuffed at a bait store outside camp Cherokee when I was a kid.

When I was a kid, my dad and grandpa used to scare the #### out of me with the gater/puma thing.