Pine Tree AD

bulldogbacker

With the right person any place can be a good job. IMO they need a high energy person who can get the kids to buy in to a total program. This means football, basketball, water polo, whatever the school offers. It doesn't matter if the baseball or soccer people have different athletic periods as long as the coaches buy in to the same philosophy. The periods need to be at the same time. This would allow for your athletes to be involved in different sports without having to decide on one. Money is great but not everything that glitters is gold!!!!!!!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know Roger Adams from Adam Adams but why would he be the right guy? Hallsville has been very disappointing in my opinion. Always great athletes but never lives up to their potential. Sounds the same as some other school we've been discussing. Oh yeah, Pine Tree.

Maybe because he has not been the coach at Hallsville for several years. Before he was there....not very good.....made them good in a couple of years....left Hallsville and they went back to being not very good. And he would be the right guy for the reasons I stated in one of my earlier posts.

How can a High School ( not college ) have 3 or 4 different off seasons ? Now this is a question that I guess Frog will be sarcastic about again.

I have always coached at 5A schools. Every sport has its own athletic period. There are kids that just play the one sport so the head coach has those guys every day, year round. This works well at large 5A schools, but not so much at most small 4A schools and below. If you've never coached at a big school, then you may not have been exposed to this. Each head coach runs their offseason and it is very sport specific. As a head baseball coach, we would do baseball skill work the first 9 weeks in the fall and do strength and conditioning the 2nd 9 weeks of the fall. Weight work was "baseball specific." What does this mean??? Most lifts are the same as what you would do in football except no incline, no overhead lifting behind the head. We lifted heavy Monday, Tuesday...lighter on Thursday, Friday. I visited strength coaches at Texas A&M and TCU, as well as the strength coach of the Kansas City Royals. We did a lot of sprint work, plyometrics, speed ladder, step hurdles. Didn't try to kill them, tried to give them a taste of what they will get at the college level.

This boils down to if the athletes of other sports want to lift weights. They don't want to be in the weight room. Running and kicking and throwing and hitting and shooting #### is really fun and really easy. Being told to lift weights is tough. When they don't want to do this, the easiest way is to make the argument that it effects their sport and the different muscles they use. How many times has an athlete from a different sport begged a coach to get into the weight room and get stronger? Never. If they did and the coach said no, you would have the craziest argument ever. This is why I love club sports and select teams. They create true champions....just pay your fees.

Karnack, I completely agree with you. Also you have to have a basketball coach, baseball coach, soccer coach, tennis coach etc....that all support the weight room and track. That is where championships are won anyway. You can look at any major program that has had success and look at major athletes (pro, college and HS) and they all lift weights and do some kind of running program.

Over the years, Pine Tree has competed pretty well in most sports. Some years are better than others, but they are rarely doormats in any sport - with the one notable exception being football.

You suggest that weight room work is the key to athletic success and that football players spend more time there than other athletes. So, how do you explain the performance of Pine Tree's athletic program? To put it in your terms, the running/throwing/shooting kids seem to be outperforming the weight room kids.

Across town, Longview has a highly successful and competitive football program. While the other sports have varying degrees of success, none can touch the level of football. According to you, this success must partially be attributed to a strong weight program. Clearly, Longview must have a lot of athletes in the weight room as well as the expertise and facilities to support them. Shouldn't they be developing perennial powers in sports other than football?

I know kids who have participated in 5 different sports at Pine Tree (none of them football). I don't recall any mandatory weightlifting associated with tennis or cross country, but it is the routine in the 3 others, both in season and out of season.

I have always coached at 5A schools. Every sport has its own athletic period. There are kids that just play the one sport so the head coach has those guys every day, year round. This works well at large 5A schools, but not so much at most small 4A schools and below. If you've never coached at a big school, then you may not have been exposed to this. Each head coach runs their offseason and it is very sport specific. As a head baseball coach, we would do baseball skill work the first 9 weeks in the fall and do strength and conditioning the 2nd 9 weeks of the fall. Weight work was "baseball specific." What does this mean??? Most lifts are the same as what you would do in football except no incline, no overhead lifting behind the head. We lifted heavy Monday, Tuesday...lighter on Thursday, Friday. I visited strength coaches at Texas A&M and TCU, as well as the strength coach of the Kansas City Royals. We did a lot of sprint work, plyometrics, speed ladder, step hurdles. Didn't try to kill them, tried to give them a taste of what they will get at the college level.

Thanks for the response. I have never been at a school over 3a so I have not had the expierence of what you say above. It does sound good and I hope you have a good year. We will never have enough coaches or periods to do that were I am at.

The answer is year round offseason that everyone takes part in.

During football and basketball season, you get your Varsity kids 5 days per week. Sub varsity kids you get three times per week, the other 2 days they will go through offseason. Outside of your season you will go through 5 days per week of offseason.

The exception is baseball and track. Everyone will go through offseason except on gamedays or track meets. Special workouts for pitchers in the offseason program. Closer to the district track meet, the track athletes will get out of offseason the week prior to the district meet.

Now here is the most important part.........the offseason has to work for all. Which means, during b-ball season, when the sub-varsity goes through offseason, they are not doing legs. They are getting plenty of that during basketball. They need to be working on upper body strength. During football, they are doing a recovery weightroom workout on Friday's and lifting medium weights on Mondays. The offseason program has to be more than lifting and running. It has to be competitive.

I have seen more kids quit football, not because of the sport of football, but because of the offseason that football players go through. If other sports offer an easier alternative, the kid is very tempted to give up that other sport. If the kid has to go through offseason not matter what sport he plays, then he will likely play ALL the sports he loves.

Of the boys sports, which sport at PT makes good runs in the playoffs every year? I know soccer did well a few years ago, but thats all I know. I am not trying to be sarcastic, just figured someone on here would know.

Pine Tree has gone to the playoffs for 23 years in a row in soccer

Of the boys sports, which sport at PT makes good runs in the playoffs every year? I know soccer did well a few years ago, but thats all I know. I am not trying to be sarcastic, just figured someone on here would know.

Maybe because he has not been the coach at Hallsville for several years. Before he was there....not very good.....made them good in a couple of years....left Hallsville and they went back to being not very good. And he would be the right guy for the reasons I stated in one of my earlier posts.

Kenny you da man, you have got it figured out wish the Pine Tree school district and council members were as smart as you are. How can they go on year after year and make the same mistakes over and over, maybe they need to read smoaky.com

Maybe it is because you have 10 FREAKING STATE CHAMPIONS IN FOOTBALL?!?

Completely off topic....but why do you think they have that many State Championships in football? And why do you think they continue to add more and more with 6A looming..$$$ is greater in football. Has been that way of years and it isn't going to be changing anytime soon. The UIL realized the potential they had in the money maker of Texas High School Football and in the past 30 years, I'd say they've done a pretty good job at maximizing their profits. Fans might not like it but it's here to stay and there's gonna be more added I'm sure.

As for Pine Tree, good luck to whoever comes in. Not going to comment because I know nothing about their situation other than their stadium is in shambles and their program has been floundering for the past decade. Would like to see them compete, but it's going to take a lot of work and patience and from the sounds of it....the school board doesn't have either of those things on their mind.

problem is pine tree is a shrinking school district....no more room to build in!...tax base shrinking and moving all over to lisd side of town....just a fact...pine tree will be 3a in prob 5 years.economically they are a reck!...building a 15 million dollar stadium is rediculous when tax base is shrinking!....good luck pine tree!!...to be honest, pine tree's only way out is to consolidate with lisd and form one high school!!...no doubt would be better economically if you can stop thinking about the darn pine tree name instead of the health of the district!...think outside the box and your answers will be there!

problem is pine tree is a shrinking school district....no more room to build in!...tax base shrinking and moving all over to lisd side of town....just a fact...pine tree will be 3a in prob 5 years.economically they are a reck!...building a 15 million dollar stadium is rediculous when tax base is shrinking!....good luck pine tree!!...to be honest, pine tree's only way out is to consolidate with lisd and form one high school!!...no doubt would be better economically if you can stop thinking about the darn pine tree name instead of the health of the district!...think outside the box and your answers will be there!

so you think those houses people are moving out of are just becoming vacant? that is a fact that you have made up. They are not losing kids.... the ethnicity is changing and that is the only thing changing. You are correct about the district being boxed in however it is just becoming a lower income school with just as many kids there. Again Longview ISD is not the greatest thing on earth.... I personally would like pine tree to consolidate to one ISD with Longview however i dont think Pine Tree should lose its name because of it there are alot of rich traditions at PT they just dont translate through football.

longview has no reason to just consolidate and take on pine trees money problems.why would they do that?...no reason what so ever!pine tree will have to do something drastic to get out of the mess they are in!....and yes they are losing students!!.....almost zero houses being built!...districts need some growth to be healthy and if together as one big district they would enjoy the growth that lisd is going to have over the next 15 years! would also bring city of longview together!...economically it makes sense, but pride seem to get in the way of doing whats right for the future of pine tree!...you are right, pine tree is becoming alot like longview demographically so it makes even more sense!...both would benefit!!!...taxpayers would beneifit!!!!....1 football coach, 1 basketball coach, etc.....no need for a 15 million dollar stadium paid for by taxpayers(already have lobo stadium) one administration!......makes soo much sense!!!...use longview high for 10-12.use pintree high for all freshman. im not from longview, but this idea makes sense and only because of"pride" is the reason you shouldnt consider it?....really?just a thought>>>>

longview has no reason to just consolidate and take on pine trees money problems.why would they do that?...no reason what so ever!pine tree will have to do something drastic to get out of the mess they are in!....and yes they are losing students!!.....almost zero houses being built!...districts need some growth to be healthy and if together as one big district they would enjoy the growth that lisd is going to have over the next 15 years! would also bring city of longview together!...economically it makes sense, but pride seem to get in the way of doing whats right for the future of pine tree!...you are right, pine tree is becoming alot like longview demographically so it makes even more sense!...both would benefit!!!...taxpayers would beneifit!!!!....1 football coach, 1 basketball coach, etc.....no need for a 15 million dollar stadium paid for by taxpayers(already have lobo stadium) one administration!......makes soo much sense!!!...use longview high for 10-12.use pintree high for all freshman. im not from longview, but this idea makes sense and only because of"pride" is the reason you shouldnt consider it?....really?just a thought>>>>

Even if the ISDs consolidated, I don't see the two HS's merging into one. One football coach, one basketball coach? Don't think so. You are aware that some ISDs have multiple high schools?

Even if the ISDs consolidated, I don't see the two HS's merging into one. One football coach, one basketball coach? Don't think so. You are aware that some ISDs have multiple high schools?

thats my point!..no reason unless there would be one high school.....no real savings unless you really do merge!!....would make sense and save a ton of money!

Since this thread has turned into a combine School districts conversation.

Longview should combine with PT and Spring Hill. White Oak Gladewater and Union Grove. Kilgore and Sabine.

Schools should remain as going concerns.

The use of shared facilities and admin would save much$$$$.

Houses do not provide the money for schools. Business tax dollars provide the majority of money for school districts.

This has very little chance of happening but ......

Just an Opinion

I remember that team . I belive yall won district with kilgore and lost to a good Coricana 10-9 in bi district corect me if I am wrong. Pine tree was a good team and now they are crowning homecoming queens. Henderson was in the same boat but got a good coach that changed the attitude.

The drop to 3A hasn't helped Henderson at all?

Got a "good" coach 5 yrs ago, serious winning started this year in multiple programs. Seems like the level playing field had as much to do with Henderson success as the "good" coach did.

The drop to 3A hasn't helped Henderson at all?

Got a "good" coach 5 yrs ago, serious winning started this year in multiple programs. Seems like the level playing field had as much to do with Henderson success as the "good" coach did.

watch out everybody rumour has it that pine trees stadium is going to pass- if that happens Pine Tree will win the District in Football- then rumour has it they will play the all east texas super bowl for high school teams and the Pirates will Beat the Lobos in the final (somebody is really dreaming)

Since a new stadium has been mentioned here, I am curious as to the choices for the new stadium; Lear Park, Current Location, or now the JR High. None of these make since to me. The closest to make since is the Jr High plan but even that is not ideal. If you are going to build a new stadium it only makes since to do it right the first time. Why build at any of these three sites; they can't be used everyday. It would only make since to do what is necessary to build it right next to the HS so that the kids can use it everyday during all athletics. Even the closest option at the Jr High is not conducive to athletes getting dressed and on the field, get a workout in, and then back in for class next period. If you are going to get the most return on your investment, it only makes since to build it right next to the HS so that is can be used everyday, multiple times a day. I know it may cost more, but the return on investment (benefit the kids in athletics or PE) would greatly outweigh the additional cost. Why did Henderson build an indoor instead of refurbish their stadium; because it could be used all day everyday and the stadium can't due to its location off campus. Why did Carthage build their new stadium at their HS instead of the old location; because it could be used all day every day. There could be many more examples! The benefits outweigh any additional cost!

I hope we get a new stadium, but if we are going to do it, lets do it right the first time!!! What it comes down to is this, it is a one shot deal; once it is done it can't be changed.

Smoaky Administrators; if this needs to be a separate thread then make it so!

exactly you arent from longview and you do not understand the way the city works or the schools for that matter. Pride isnt the only reason you would want to keep the schools seperate and nobody has really stated that as there main point. HOwever for arguing sake pride can also be a good point. You have famlies that have lived and went through the system at Pine Tree so to the people that were a part of it i believe it would hurt their eyes to see that. I dont think they will ever consolidate as one or even seperate high schools. I am not knowledgeable about the morality of the school board at Longview but i do know the school board at PT has alot of problems with control. As i have stated before they control athletics from their outside very well and if you consolidated the schools some of them would lose power due to the fact that the Longview board members could crush their votes.

Now you think its stupid to have seperate High Schools well i dont really understand what your thought on this may be. Plano ISD has 3 high schools. Plano West, PLano East, and PLano High all highschools all with their own middle schools and all in pretty decent shape. So it does work if the community works together and makes it happen the right way. Funny how that always seems to be the case with people in desicion making positions, ie: politicians, school boards, admins