Dream football matchup is happening

Eagleborn

BY JACK STALLARD [email protected]

Tatum head coach Brett Carr nearly passed on the opportunity to face Clarksville in a tune-up game back on Feb. 21, but changed his mind.

If the Eagles win tonight’s Class 2A Region III regional quarterfinal game against the Daingerfield Tigers, Tatum will likely look back at that decision as a key reason for the victory.

The No. 15 Eagles (28-7) meet No. 25 Daingerfield (17-3) in a 7 p.m. contest tonight at Longview’s Lobo Coliseum. The winner will advance to the Region III Tournament, set to begin Friday at Stephen F. Austin State University’s Johnson Coliseum in Nacogdoches.

Tatum completed a perfect run through District 20-2A, and faced Clarksville — the No. 2 team in Class A Division I — in a tune-up game back on Feb. 21. Carr said he nearly passed on that opportunity, but was glad he changed his mind.

“They approached us about it, and I really wasn’t interested,” Carr said. “I thought about it and figured they were as close to Daingerfield as anyone we would be able to play and thought it would be a good situation to put the kids in.”

Tatum trailed by double digits early, but closed the gap to 41-34 at halftime and outscored Clarksville 44-33 in the final 16 minutes for a 78-74 win.

“I think that might have been the most valuable game we’ve played all year,” Carr said. “We were down, but the kids saw that if we stuck with our game plan we have a chance. We played hard until the end, and our pressure finally wore them down.”

“Pressure” is the game plan for the Eagles.

“We play a different style than most teams in the area,” Carr said. “We’re very small, probably one of the smallest teams in the playoffs, but we rely on track speed. We get after people and put them in a bind.”

Daingerfield will counter with an abundant supply of size inside in 6-5 Keyarris Garrett and 6-3 Steve Edmond.

“This matchup really is about our athleticism and quickness and their athleticism and size,” Carr said. “They have some huge kids, and we can’t match up with that. Our game is pressure. We rely on speed and being able to shoot the ball.”

Daingerfield head coach Curtis Lewis said he isn’t sure how good his team can be since the majority of his players were involved in a football championship season and the Tigers played about 15 fewer games than most teams in the area. The fact the Tigers are still playing is all that matters.

“You have to wonder how much better we would be, but my kids realize that every game is important,” Lewis said. “Each time you step on the floor in a game or practice, you have a chance to get better. We’ve got a lot of improvement to do, but these kids are competitors. They don’t take losing well.”

Tatum is coming off a 58-53 win over New Boston in an area playoff game. Desmond Fite paced the Eagles with 22 points, with Kendall Bell scoring 14 of his 17 points in the second quarter.

In the win over Clarksville, Fite had 15 points, Dylan Starling 14 and Brandon Woodard 13.

Daingerfield finished as the second seed out of District 19-2A behind White Oak. The Tigers lost to White Oak 76-59 on Jan. 11 and defeated the Roughnecks 81-70 on Feb. 2. The two teams met again to decide the league’s top spot and White Oak earned a 65-50 win.

Daingerfield opened the playoffs with a 77-58 win over Jefferson and knocked off Grand Saline 63-56 in the area round.

“We just need to play good, smart basketball,” Lewis said. “We’re not as deep as they are. We have to play smart and not turn the ball over and get them in the halfcourt.”

Tonight’s winner will meet East Chambers or New Waverly at 3 p.m. Friday at SFA. The other regional semifinal is set for 5 p.m., with the championship scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday.

64-60 Tatum with 30 seconds left

Does that stud linebacker from Daingerfield play basketball? I thought I heard his name on the broadcast, but wasn't for sure. I'd be really surprised if Mack Brown allowed him to play basketball, so was just checking.

BTW, who won? Have mixed feelings. Don't want either team to win.

yes the linebacker did play. and was a force in the paint, but the big man ran out of gas. he wasn't ready for Tatum run an gun. and refuse to shake hands after the game. Mack will work on that, you think??

Yea as long as it ain't happening in the classroom. UT players don't spend much time in there I hear. J/K. It's good to see kids play more than 1 sport in days where specialization happens in every sport at every school.

Yea as long as it ain't happening in the classroom. UT players don't spend much time in there I hear. J/K. It's good to see kids play more than 1 sport in days where specialization happens in every sport at every school.

He is also a pretty good shot put thrower