Tatum vs Melissa

Eagleborn

They seed the state tournament game by records. The worst record will play the best record. So Tatum you pretty much know your playing Melissa first game

Another real smart move by the UIL. Team like Tatum got 6 of those loses with only one starter. Rest were still playing football

Team could schedule teams they know rhat can beat like some colleges that schedule pooduck U

others . or schedule games against 4 or 5A know one of the losses was to Marshall in Dec.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another real smart move by the UIL. Team like Tatum got 6 of those loses with only one starter. Rest were still playing football

Team could schedule teams they know rhat can beat like some colleges that schedule pooduck U

others .

I agree its dumb to see them this way...what if the team with the most losses came against 3A or 4A teams. Like WO who lost 5 games one to a 3A one to a 4A...in this situation Tatum is going to be chosen as the worst team because their football team was good.

I agree its dumb to see them this way...what if the team with the most losses came against 3A or 4A teams. Like WO who lost 5 games one to a 3A one to a 4A...in this situation Tatum is going to be chosen as the worst team because their football team was good.

White Oak lost 4 games. Not 5.

I give credit to Tatum for playing Basketball games with a lot of their players still playing football. A number of programs would (and have) cancelled their games till football was over.

WO please no complaining about loosing to a bigger school. Melissa played (3) 5A schools, (4) 4A schools and (5) 3A schools and won them all.

Why all the whining about seeding? If you're good enough to win it, you're good enough to win it. This is the way they've always done it Fans want to see the teams with the two best records have a chance to meet in the finals.

Agreed. Regardless.......the best team will win it all, there's no way around it. It doesn't matter to me and ya'll played ball once, from experience you know it doesn't matter to the kids....they just wanna play.

To make it to the final four is an amazing feature. No matter what happens from this point on....Tatum has blown any expectations away that any east texas fan had and I for one am as proud as ever for these kids. Big thumbs up to these special athletes and coach Carr for getting them here. I was lucky enough to witness the last trip to Austin because it was still in my high school era. Wont be able to make it to this one but I'll be listening and rootin all the way.

Everybody said these football players on the court would crumble when they came up against a "real" basketball team because the pure art of RUNNING the court would die against shooters in a true offense. But truth shows speed can be a very effective weapon just as it did with Bradley, Hill, Greenwood, Stoker, Garrett, Spruille, and the rest of the gang in 03. Go stand up for your town boys......Tatum is proud of you.

Agreed. Regardless.......the best team will win it all, there's no way around it. It doesn't matter to me and ya'll played ball once, from experience you know it doesn't matter to the kids....they just wanna play.

To make it to the final four is an amazing feature. No matter what happens from this point on....Tatum has blown any expectations away that any east texas fan had and I for one am as proud as ever for these kids. Big thumbs up to these special athletes and coach Carr for getting them here. I was lucky enough to witness the last trip to Austin because it was still in my high school era. Wont be able to make it to this one but I'll be listening and rootin all the way.

Everybody said these football players on the court would crumble when they came up against a "real" basketball team because the pure art of RUNNING the court would die against shooters in a true offense. But truth shows speed can be a very effective weapon just as it did with Bradley, Hill, Greenwood, Stoker, Garrett, Spruille, and the rest of the gang in 03. Go stand up for your town boys......Tatum is proud of you.

Congrats on Tatum to making it to Austin. A lot of teams want to be there. But "pure art of RUNNING the court"? What is that? What "real" basketball teams have you guys played?

I give credit to Tatum for playing Basketball games with a lot of their players still playing football. A number of programs would (and have) cancelled their games till football was over.

WO please no complaining about loosing to a bigger school. Melissa played (3) 5A schools, (4) 4A schools and (5) 3A schools and won them all.

They lost to a 4A team....

Yes you are correct I apologize. I forgot they played Wilson, who went three rounds in the 4A playoffs, in a warm up game.

Good team... Should be favored...

Hopefully the UIL will let the teams play instead of handing Melissa the gold...

Good team... Should be favored...

Hopefully the UIL will let the teams play instead of handing Melissa the gold...

With all the budget problems the state is having, it might be cheaper to do that. Either way the result will be the same.

But "pure art of RUNNING the court"? What is that?

Just reffering to running full blast, wide open for four quarters. Tatum's speed and relentless "mugging style" defense has put them in Austin. Teams like Crockett were supposed to be too much for Tatum...or thats what most people thought. I'm not trying to make an argument.....just saying, Tatum's wide open game plan with the amount of speed they have is pretty nasty.

The last time Tatum went to Austin they met up with Everman who had a real growth spurt. They won it all and moved to 4A the next year. Notice Melissa city population has increased 123% just wonder what the school population is, and have they had the same growth rate.

I dunno...

Has anyone seem Melissa play?

Cayuga played Melissa at the American Airlines Center 2nd game of the season. If one of the Melissa fans had told me Hondo was their best player I would've bet $100.00 that we would win by 20 before the game started. He doesn't look like much (to me anyway) but the kid can flat out play basketball. I would venture to guess that Tatum will have more "athletes" on the floor, but Melissa will have more basketball players. You can win it all with great athletes, look at Cayuga's team last year. But it's hard to beat a team full of basketball players who play hard for 4 full quarters.

Cayuga played Melissa at the American Airlines Center 2nd game of the season. If one of the Melissa fans had told me Hondo was their best player I would've bet $100.00 that we would win by 20 before the game started. He doesn't look like much (to me anyway) but the kid can flat out play basketball. I would venture to guess that Tatum will have more "athletes" on the floor, but Melissa will have more basketball players. You can win it all with great athletes, look at Cayuga's team last year. But it's hard to beat a team full of basketball players who play hard for 4 full quarters.

Well said. The first time I saw Melissa play they were already ranked #1. I saw them warm and couldn't believe they were ranked so high. But as soon as the ball was tipped they took it to another level. Man it is fun to watch.

Webb looks more like a linebacker than a point guard.

Is it safe to bet that from what everyone is posting regarding Tatum and Melissa, that whoever wins this game should win it all? I know Idalou is pretty salty but I hear Halletsville has some athletes to the likes of Tatum too?

Either way, this years state tournament should be a great one!

Be interesting to watch the different styles of play this weekend. See how the run and gun works against a well balanced team. Melissa can also run.