Band Director changes

I was at the Board meeting just to sit in and listen, it was very interesting i will say. 1st. i think your transfer figures are wrong, I could be wrong but i doubt that there are that many. The Band Crazies as you refer to them as i feel has a point, it is sad that there was so much attention at this meeting to the band supporting what they feel is inportant to them and NOT A SOLE was there complainting or fighting for the coaches and teachers that lost their jobs. If i was a coach or teacher at this school i would really feel bad that not one person stood up for me being its about budget cuts or not. I would have to say out of the approx. 300 people at the meeting i would guess 200 were there for the support of the bands leader. I noticed how the board had sat their table so that each board member faced each other rather than face the addience and the people who signed up to speak to the board was stationed towards the addience instead of the board members. I heard 2 people speak on behalf of the Band and the other 4 were against the band, wow i would rather say BASHED the supporters of the band. I have seen figures of the administrations payroll budget with it being in the mid $400,000. range, Athletics being in the mid $500,000 range and the band being in the lower $200,000 range which includes 1 music teacher at their primary school. Other facts that i have seen on paper are that the 3 band directors have approx. 250 students among them to where the athletic side has approx. 9 or 10 coaches with approx. 200 students amongst them, some of those coaches teach also. The Asst. Athletic Director makes approx. $74000. and is only certified to teach PE. The Head Band Director makes approx. $70,000. I have heard that all the coaches get a clothing allowance as well, not sure if this for sure or not. There is a cd of a meeting with the Superintent Mr. Barnwell, 1 Board member and several other attendents asking question and its very interesting to listen too. you can hear some lady mentioned that The Band leader was awarded The Educator of the Year by the Atlanta City, Not 1 person from the QC School Board showed up for the award presentation, the 1 Board member stated he didn't know about it, she said she gave the inventation to Barnwell, they go back and forth with not appologie what so ever and he all of sudden ended the meeting. It is sad that this group of supporters and leader of their Great most decerative activity of the QCISD school history is treated this way. I would have to end this by saying that if i was in his shoes then i would have to leave as well just because of the way that this school is being run by their superintendent and the school board, it appears that Mr. Barnwell gets what he wants and when he wants it and a school board who can't say NO or show me more facts. I think the community of QUEEN CITY being Band or Athletics and school teachers should demand that their leaders and educators be saved and to ask questions on the money spent or budgeted, get facts on paper and not just their words... you would be amazed at what some administrators and other postions make money wise because i was!!!!

my book is done now

So the 4 people who spoke were band bashers?? Really? According to the Gazette 1 was neutral and 3 supported the school board and admin. So that makes them band bashers. By your logic, if a person showed up to support the SCHOOL at that board meeting you would have been labeled a band basher. If I understand correctly a couple of the non band individuals who spoke aimed some of their comments at people (band crazies) who have made hateful, derogatory, and slanderous comments against teachers, coaches, school board members, and the superintendent. Did that not happen?? It did happen and people got fed up with it. Even put a full page ad in the paper full of exaggerated half truths if not outright lies. Then you ask why the superintendent or board members were no shows at band events - gee whiz with all that hate who would be that stupid to attend. Did the band crazies think they were gonna win any brownie points with the the school board or admin the way they acted?? You couldn't pay me enough to be an administrator at any school. They should give ours a pay raise for having to deal with people like you.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to end this by saying that if i was in his shoes then i would have to leave as well just because of the way that this school is being run by their superintendent and the school board, it appears that Mr. Barnwell gets what he wants and when he wants it and a school board who can't say NO or show me more facts. I think the community of QUEEN CITY being Band or Athletics and school teachers should demand that their leaders and educators be saved and to ask questions on the money spent or budgeted, get facts on paper and not just their words... you would be amazed at what some administrators and other postions make money wise because i was!!!!

QC must just not be managing its money as good as its neighbor Atlanta.

Despite all the loss of revenue, cutbacks in programs, and predictions of gloom and doom, Atlanta's superintendent is on a "business trip" to Palm Springs, California, this week.

Why are so many of them worried about what happens in ATLISD? Why are they so worried about losing transfer students back to ATLISD?

There's a fairly unique situation here, in that the two schools are only a couple of miles apart. It's extremely easy to transfer without even having to change residences.

Of course, this entire unfortunate thing is all about money. And every student that leaves Queen City costs the district some $4,000 a year in lost state funding.

For a district that's obviously having money trouble, sounds like a good reason to worry.

• 3 weeks later...

So a significant number of the kids in the Queen City Band are transfers from other schools, huh?

In the very unlikely situation that this is true, that would make the band a major source of income for QCISD.

Voters get easily turned on for causes. Look at Atlanta - they seem to have difficulty hiring and appointing administrators. Within the last few years they've had several who have been terminated for cause and/or relieved of their duties.

And at the last Atlanta school board election - a 21 year veteran board member was NOT reelected. Who would have thought that could happen?

Never underestimate what a few determined people can do with a cause.

Well it seems to be working in their favor. They got voters to come out and elect a new school board member, voting out the incumbent that had been on the board for years.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does the UIL transfer rules not apply for band also about 20 students have left QC to move over to ATL for their State year?

Eligibility for Music Contests

• meet all the requirements above, and
  • have not changed schools for the purpose of participating in a UIL music contest.

Eligibility for Athletic Contests

• meet all the requirements above,
  • are less than 19 years old on September 1 preceding the contest or have been granted eligibility based on a disability that delayed their education by at least one year,
  • live with their parents inside the school district attendance zone their first year of attendance (see your school administrator for exceptions),
  • have not moved or changed schools for athletic purposes,
  • have not violated the athletic amateur rule, and
  • were eligible according to the fifteen day rule and the residence rule prior to district certification.

Does the UIL transfer rules not apply for band also about 20 students have left QC to move over to ATL for their State year?

Eligibility for Music Contests

• meet all the requirements above, and
  • have not changed schools for the purpose of participating in a UIL music contest.

Eligibility for Athletic Contests

• meet all the requirements above,
  • are less than 19 years old on September 1 preceding the contest or have been granted eligibility based on a disability that delayed their education by at least one year,
  • live with their parents inside the school district attendance zone their first year of attendance (see your school administrator for exceptions),
  • have not moved or changed schools for athletic purposes,
  • have not violated the athletic amateur rule, and
  • were eligible according to the fifteen day rule and the residence rule prior to district certification.

Atlanta's band can easily survive and succeed without 20 kids from QC. Atlanta's band goes to state & places either way.

But can QC's band survive without them? The QC superintendent and school board essentially said that they just wanted a band to play at half time during the football games -

Looks like that's what they got.

Atlanta's band can easily survive and succeed without 20 kids from QC. Atlanta's band goes to state & places either way.

But can QC's band survive without them? The QC superintendent and school board essentially said that they just wanted a band to play at half time during the football games -

Looks like that's what they got.

That is false. Let's not get too far into the real backstory again, but to say that's all the admin wanted is just not true. QC band is doing fine without the transfers. The 70 remaining kids will still make up a strong band program at QC. They ones that only wanted to play for the old director I wouldn't want around anyway. I always thought you played for the pride of the school anyway. As far as the kids moving to Atlanta, I would assume the same transfer rules apply. Hopefully someone will check and keep them from participating, they CLEARLY moved for participation purposes. I am sure Atlanta would continue to do very well at competitions if they didn't transfer. Didn't Atlanta already beat QC in some competitions this last year?

That is false. Let's not get too far into the real backstory again, but to say that's all the admin wanted is just not true. QC band is doing fine without the transfers. The 70 remaining kids will still make up a strong band program at QC. They ones that only wanted to play for the old director I wouldn't want around anyway. I always thought you played for the pride of the school anyway. As far as the kids moving to Atlanta, I would assume the same transfer rules apply. Hopefully someone will check and keep them from participating, they CLEARLY moved for participation purposes. I am sure Atlanta would continue to do very well at competitions if they didn't transfer. Didn't Atlanta already beat QC in some competitions this last year?

Well put !!

As far as the kids moving to Atlanta, I would assume the same transfer rules apply. Hopefully someone will check and keep them from participating, they CLEARLY moved for participation purposes.

Doubt that anyone really knows, or can prove, the reasons kids transfer from one school to another.

You can speculate - but that's all it is.

The 70 remaining kids will still make up a strong band program at QC.

Keep close tabs on your numbers.

Just because kids don't transfer from QC doesn't mean they'll continue in band.

Feel sorry that the entire QC situation happened. It's the kids who will suffer.

Doubt that anyone really knows, or can prove, the reasons kids transfer from one school to another.

You can speculate - but that's all it is.

If you live in Queen City , TX and have transfered to ATL and are playing in the band. Then there is nothing to prove. If that is not the reason to transfer then why play in the band when you have went to QC from k-11 grade. Rules are the rules.

Here is the information: Let them decide.

Contact Music

Mailing Address

University Interscholastic League

P.O. Box 8028

Austin, Texas, 78713

Street Address

1701 Manor Road

Austin, Texas, 78722

Phone

(512) 471-5883

Fax

Fax: (512) 471-5908

Fax for Orders Only: (512) 232-6471

Department Email

[email protected]

Music Staff

NameTitleContact EmailRichard FloydMusic Director[email protected] George StricklandMusic Assistant[email protected] Patty EsfandiariMusic Assistant[email protected] UNIVERSITY INTERSCHOLASTIC LEAGUE

1701 Manor Road, Austin, TX 78722

Tel: (512) 471-5883 | Fax: (512) 471-5908

Of the 40% of kids in band I would say that 30% to 35% of those students are transfers

If 30-35% of QC's band is composed of transfers into the district, looks like QC is the school that should be worried about UIL violations.

How's that been working?

You all might want to get your facts straight before sticking your hand in Atlanta's business...I know one of the ATL directors..there are not 20 kids that have transferred from QC and are in the AHS band, of the 130 the've only gotten like 4 or 5 like kids that left QC for academic and personal reasons...20 kids is just laughable.

Also, the Atlanta band has been rockin' and rollin' without the help of transfers...the same can't be said for QC...the entire district survives and thrives thanks to kids that transfer over.

Thirdly, how in the wide world of sports do you plan on proving that a kid transferred just for band? It's going to take more than bitterness because of your own situation and assumption...

If you QCGold people want to continue tearing down your own band program that's fine...but you need to keep to your own business because the people of Atlanta and AISD won't stand for any of your foolishness.

You all might want to get your facts straight before sticking your hand in Atlanta's business...I know one of the ATL directors..there are not 20 kids that have transferred from QC and are in the AHS band, of the 130 there are only 5 (one of them transferred last year for football reasons because QC has the worst team in the state of Texas) kids that left QC for academic and personal reasons...20 kids is just laughable.

Also, the Atlanta band has been rockin' and rollin' without the help of transfers since 2006...the same can't be said for QC...the entire district survives and thrives thanks to kids that transfer over.

Thirdly, how in the wide world of sports do you plan on proving that a kid transferred just for band? It's going to take more than bitterness because of your own situation and assumption...

If you QCGold people want to continue tearing down your own band program that's fine...but you need to keep to your own business because the people of Atlanta and AISD won't stand for any of your foolishness.

So you are saying the kid transfered for Athletic reasons? Not speculating you are saying that... Wow !!! are you a person there in authority that is over looking this situation?

(one of them transferred last year for football reasons because QC has the worst team in the state of Texas)

So you are saying the kid transfered for Athletic reasons? Not speculating you are saying that... Wow !!! are you a person there in authority that is over looking this situation?

(one of them transferred last year for football reasons because QC has the worst team in the state of Texas)

No I am not in authority. I'm pretty sure everyone associated with the Atlanta and QC athletic programs can ASSUME why he transferred. Especially QC because they have the worst football program in the state of Texas. This was last fall. The kid played nvarsity and abided by UIL rules which prohibit a student from transferring schools plus he and his family live in Atlanta now.