House Bill Would Limit UIL Athletic Programs

Guest 4to3

Any teacher that "has to grade papers at night" isn't doing their job efficiently.

I'm not a teacher but I'll take this one.... Are you kidding me ????? I know too many Teachers that not only have to grade papers at home. They have 6 classes a day a conference time. they have to supervise the halls entrances, exits before and after the bell. There is no time left I figure the ones that don't grade papers at home stay in thier classrooms until late and do it there. But whether in the classroom late or at home they are "Off The Clock". Now add Coaching to it add about 4 more hours a day +some time on Sat & Sundays.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought better of you Eagleborn. So your telling me that volunteer coaches would be just as good as what we have now? Forgive me but "pretty darn good job" doesn't cut it. I don't think I'm alone here.

I am a vol coach in the state of Ark, where you have to take several test and do CPR test etc you have to get a background check and skin test and so on.. i havent missed a single practice or game all year i work for free, i use my own gas to go game etc. So dont tell people on this board that volunteers wouldnt do a good job because i take job as serious as if i made a million dollars a semester... only reason i had to go to ark is because its illegal in TX, so it would be a great rule change...

Your post sounds like an Arkansas teenager's 2nd date in the summer with their 1st cousin......(doesn't make sense and it's not a good thing). I can't believe anything is illegal in Arkansas. You are supposed to be at practices and games, you don't get an atta boy for that, full time coaches don't drive their vehicles to games (they ride or drive the bus), coaches take the job seriously not because of the money, but because we are all freaking competitors and love "Winning"!! - Charlie S. So good luck in AreKansass.

I am a vol coach in the state of Ark, where you have to take several test and do CPR test etc you have to get a background check and skin test and so on.. i havent missed a single practice or game all year i work for free, i use my own gas to go game etc. So dont tell people on this board that volunteers wouldnt do a good job because i take job as serious as if i made a million dollars a semester... only reason i had to go to ark is because its illegal in TX, so it would be a great rule change...

.....and this is why volunteer coaches are a BAD idea!

Your post sounds like an Arkansas teenager's 2nd date in the summer with their 1st cousin......(doesn't make sense and it's not a good thing). I can't believe anything is illegal in Arkansas. You are supposed to be at practices and games, you don't get an atta boy for that, full time coaches don't drive their vehicles to games (they ride or drive the bus), coaches take the job seriously not because of the money, but because we are all freaking competitors and love "Winning"!! - Charlie S. So good luck in AreKansass.

### first you say vol coaches are a bad thing because they want show up to practice and that because they work free they want take anything serious then you say its not about the money??? a) its very illegal in ark, trinity lost every conf game last year because they were reported and their head coach who is vol didnt do all his paperwork.. and if you knew anything you knew that in ark, softball and baseball travel together so you have 45 kids and 4 coaches on one bus with two different teams equiment theres kids in the floor, no room for vol coaches.. i use my own gas to drive to games and practice, so dont say its because of the money because its not coming out your pocket

Mavgrad99 did you teah a class at Marshall?

Despite me getting a teaching certification, and asking to teach Sports Medicine I & II it was denied both times by the Athletic Administration. Although if they would have allowed me to, the state would have picked up most of my salary, taking it off of the ISD's administrative pay.

So you got admin pay and didn't teach classes? So what did you during the day when there was not an athletic period? I bet you wanted to teach because there is only so mush tv you can watch during the day. 65 hours? How many of those were selling honey buns to the kids?

So you got admin pay and didn't teach classes? So what did you during the day when there was not an athletic period? I bet you wanted to teach because there is only so mush tv you can watch during the day. 65 hours? How many of those were selling honey buns to the kids?
Well, since you obviously know me, I watched ALOT of TV when there was not insurance paperwork to be done. You know that I kept a clean training room and worked when there were kids to be seen. I was only allowed an hour for lunch. I beat you to work most days and left after you most days. So by lunchtime, I had Sportscenter memorized word for word, towels washed, whirlpools cleaned, coolers cleaned, and tables cleaned while you had something to do, like teach a class. There was also other responsibilities that you would have never understood because I did them so you wouldn't have to. The same responsibilities the athletic trainers have there now. Wonder why you never had to forfeit a game b/c you failed to get the proper paperwork in from your athletes? It's because we chased the kids down, tracked their paperwork, and called their parents if necessary. So the point I am making is that I would have loved to have taught a class to take up the 3-4 periods there was not athletics. It would make the position a bit more meaningful and justified for Marshall ISD. I would love to show you my calendar that I kept during football season with the hours I worked. Not quite sure why you choose to attack me, but I can say this. I couldn't do what you do. But you sure as heck can't do what I can do. The only difference is that you would have to go back to school to do what I do, while all I have to do is find an idiot AD to hire me as a coach. And that AD would be an idiot if he let me coach any sport.

I have a question for the coaches on here regarding track and expenses. Why are some of the districts holding their district track meets on two weekdays? Where prelims are ran on one day and finals on the other. What happened to track meets on Saturday? Wouldn't it be cheaper to have the meet on Saturday so you only had to travel once?

On the contrary. BTW, you help make my point when you talk about safety. If you never played the game, how do you teach the safety mechanics of the game?

I'm sure part of the certification process would be a study in player safety. The bigger issue is, as was mentioned before, liability. In our lawsuit happy society, volunteers would have to be protected by the school system from frivolous lawsuits by angry parents if their kid is hurt participating in said activity. I am not sure if that is done at places where volunteers assist, because the liability is probably shifted to the head coach who is employed by the school.

Never thought I would even come close to saying something such as this was a good idea ... but I'm there. Yes, it goes back to 2006 - that should be where the changes are but it's apparent that is not an option based on the choices of those who are in Austin - so something else has to give. Teachers are losing their jobs and the effect of that on our economy is going to be horrendous, not to mention the effect on the quality of education our students are receiving. I have always been a great supporter of athletics - for many students it is the only reason they stay in school and are able to attend college - they will be OK - they would still be able to take their skills to a higher level. However, if they are not prepared in the classroom ... their skils won't matter. I am not going to say "I told you so", but please ... make informed and responsible voting a priority in the next election. For the present ... contact the powers that be and let them know how you feel.