Best Baseball Coach in East Texas

BobcatDad

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with threejs that Pirtle at Lee has to be in the conversation. But, I think you also have to look at the talent he has to choose from every year. There have been teams in the last 5 years that went deep into the playoffs but never made it to the State Tournament. In many programs, with that kind of talent nothing less than making it to the State Tournament would be acceptable.

I know this thread was started to get a shout out to the hard working coaches that are over shadowed by their "football reigns supreme" brethren in Texas but seriously. Give me three stud pitchers and 12 kids that grew up playing tournament ball and I would be in this convesation and I know enough about baseball to be dangerous. I give kudos to anyone that gives their life to help young men to be better old men regardless of the sport. Some guys get to coach in pools of talent and others don't you can't judge a coach by the number of wins they get, a good coach gets every ounce of talent out of the kids he has. You cant make the assumption that the coach at Carthage (just an example of a tradition rich baseball team, i dont know the coach) is better than the coach at (insert crapy baseball team here) school. Baseball is so individualized its not fair to compare. Just saying Everyone can continue now.

I know this thread was started to get a shout out to the hard working coaches that are over shadowed by their "football reigns supreme" brethren in Texas but seriously. Give me three stud pitchers and 12 kids that grew up playing tournament ball and I would be in this convesation and I know enough about baseball to be dangerous. I give kudos to anyone that gives their life to help young men to be better old men regardless of the sport. Some guys get to coach in pools of talent and others don't you can't judge a coach by the number of wins they get, a good coach gets every ounce of talent out of the kids he has. You cant make the assumption that the coach at Carthage (just an example of a tradition rich baseball team, i dont know the coach) is better than the coach at (insert crapy baseball team here) school. Baseball is so individualized its not fair to compare. Just saying Everyone can continue now.

Well said.

Got to be Keith McKinley at Ore City, does more with less than any coach I know!!

Coach Depriest had nothing to work with as a team there in tatum. 0-5 then 5-0 and beating one of the " hands down coach" Jackie Lloyd in harleton, who is actually a great coach. Tatum play in to the playoffs, has to put coach Depriest as best this year. Everyone else named are good coaches but all they have to do is manage their teams.

Coach Depriest had nothing to work with as a team there in tatum. 0-5 then 5-0 and beating one of the " hands down coach" Jackie Lloyd in harleton, who is actually a great coach. Tatum play in to the playoffs, has to put coach Depriest as best this year. Everyone else named are good coaches but all they have to do is manage their teams.

+1

In college our team won alot of games and as a player I remember winning some because of luck...i remember winning a game by one run and the other team had the bases loaded with no outs with their 3 4 5 up and we got out of the situation with a strikeout and a double play ball by the 4 hole hitter who had hit a homerun earlier that game. The ball that was hit chopped right over 2nd and our shortstop caught the ball touching second and threw it to first for the win...it was lucky how the ball just fell for us...

That same criteria would seem to eliminate Mauldin from the conversation. He threw a #4 in game 1 of a best of 3 playoff series. They got swept.

If I had any more kids this is who I would want them to play for, in no particular order.

Hector - he won before he got to SH with mostly football players who played baseball. Now he has baseball players.

Jones from Pleasant Grove. His playoff success speaks for itself. I also like how his team goes about their business.

Pirtle from Lee. He has ticked off more LL All-star daddy's than I can count and wins every year. They have had a sub-par year this year, but still may win district.

Zach James - first base coach from Crockett. I know he doesn't belong in this thread, but if he gets a head coaching job and makes a career of it, it won't be long before his name is in the conversation.

What makes this assistant coach at Crockett so good that you put him on this list? No bashing just wanting to know for personal knowledge.

What makes this assistant coach at Crockett so good that you put him on this list? No bashing just wanting to know for personal knowledge.

Just to be clear, I stated that he didn't belong on this thread, but I could see it happening down the road. I don't want to derail the thread so check your U2U.

Isn't he the coach who pitched his #3 pitcher against his toughest district opponent...and lost?

I think I'll have to vote for Coach Goldman at Carthage. When they played their toughest district opponent (Spring Hill), he threw his #1 pitcher...and won. That's pretty good coaching in my book.

This was discussed in another "thread"...SH had PItt, Carthage, and Henderson all in a row....so you pick your posion in this district. If you look at the scores Carthage even had some "scares". As for the #3 that is laughable-- SH has a senior pitcher who is very talented and basically the #1, the two kids who did the majority of picthing(split evenly or close) behind Brown were dead even in my opinion and if you talk to anyone form both towns they will tell you it was 3-1 final-but 1-1 going to the sixth. SO the kid lost, who know, we could've pitched Brown and still lost--it's baseball......and judging by how much trouble the Dawgs had that night against the SH kid I suspect Hector threw him for that very reason.......My opinion is Goldman is one of the best in Texas(he proved that beating SH two years ago in Region Finals-he made ALL the right moves and they worked, mainly he had their kids knowing they could win) ..and the rest is history. Hector has always been able to get more out of kids than anyone else and he knows the game--

This was discussed in another "thread"...SH had PItt, Carthage, and Henderson all in a row....so you pick your posion in this district. If you look at the scores Carthage even had some "scares". As for the #3 that is laughable-- SH has a senior pitcher who is very talented and basically the #1, the two kids who did the majority of picthing(split evenly or close) behind Brown were dead even in my opinion and if you talk to anyone form both towns they will tell you it was 3-1 final-but 1-1 going to the sixth. SO the kid lost, who know, we could've pitched Brown and still lost--it's baseball......and judging by how much trouble the Dawgs had that night against the SH kid I suspect Hector threw him for that very reason.......My opinion is Goldman is one of the best in Texas(he proved that beating SH two years ago in Region Finals-he made ALL the right moves and they worked, mainly he had their kids knowing they could win) ..and the rest is history. Hector has always been able to get more out of kids than anyone else and he knows the game--

Yes, on another thread the poster who wrote that Spring Hill pitched its #3 against Carthage in the 1st round retracted that statement last week. We sure had a lot of fun with it until he did!

Jackie Lloyd and Joey Hector.

2 of the best.

Lloyd gets it done every year in Harleton, even in the 'rebuilding' years, they just keep winning. I'm sure Hector will bring that to SH as well.

Yes, on another thread the poster who wrote that Spring Hill pitched its #3 against Carthage in the 1st round retracted that statement last week. We sure had a lot of fun with it until he did!

Hey Bev are you gonna make their first playoff game? I hope you can.