Calallen and Flour Bluff's Head Coaches issuing a challenge to Refugio in 2012

RHSBobcat93

I think it would probably turn out to be a lot better game that most would think. You can only put 11 guys on the field at any given time (and yes I do understand that you can have lots of depth and backup on the sidelines). The fact of the matter is that every team puts their best 11 out there everytime and if they are able execute better than the other 11 out there that is what really decides football games.

I think it would probably turn out to be a lot better game that most would think. You can only put 11 guys on the field at any given time (and yes I do understand that you can have lots of depth and backup on the sidelines). The fact of the matter is that every team puts their best 11 out there everytime and if they are able execute better than the other 11 out there that is what really decides football games.

you got that last part right, but when the line averages 50 lbs more and the running backs are bigger than the linebackers theyre facing and faster than the secondary theyre facing, then theres definitely a huge advantage there, whether they execute better or not. not to mention the receivers who could be a foot taller and can run a 4.5 40 as opposed to the 4.7 cornerback covering him. im not saying this would be the case here. i know refugio is known all over texas for having solid football teams, but when the numbers are that much different, the chances of an even matchup are not very likely unless its a 4a school with just a small football program.

you got that last part right, but when the line averages 50 lbs more and the running backs are bigger than the linebackers theyre facing and faster than the secondary theyre facing, then theres definitely a huge advantage there, whether they execute better or not. not to mention the receivers who could be a foot taller and can run a 4.5 40 as opposed to the 4.7 cornerback covering him. im not saying this would be the case here. i know refugio is known all over texas for having solid football teams, but when the numbers are that much different, the chances of an even matchup are not very likely unless its a 4a school with just a small football program.

Honestly the only real difference is going to be like you said, the overall speed and weight of the bigger school. I understand that some school's have some really tall kids but just because you are a 2A, 4A, whatever that doesn't mean that because you have more A's that your players are going to 7+ feet tall or something. Back when I played our line averaged about 275 lbs on the line with the biggest guy being 6'5" 310lbs. They all had good speed (for linemen). That was at a tiny 2A that was a 1A the next year. Bigger schools have the better odds for getting the prototypical football players but if a small school can luck into a solid crew for both sides of the ball they can compete with almost (and I stress almost) anyone. With that said I am not making the argument that Refugio would beat either of those teams or would lose to either of those teams I am just saying that the number of A's you have doesn't guarantee anything win or lose.

I think Refugio needs to step its schedule. They won't ever get better till they get tougher and its hard to when your playing teams you can beat 91-6. Just saying they may get pretty good that way and it would be a smart choice by the Refugio staff to step up to a stronger schedule. I wish them the best of luck the first year though staying healthy. It takes atleast one year to get the kids used to playing better teams. All in all I think that is the way to go. As far as who these two choices are well.....Refugio might be on the other end of that 91-6 score if the coaches want to press the issue lol...but mostly I think it will be good for thier team to learn to play up and not down

You have to know South Texas Football. Refugio top skill kids would match up fairly well. There top RB came from Calallen and brother was on the team that took Calallen to state. Most lineman are small but fight thier butt off. I think the real challenge would be conditioning. Late in the 4th. But last time I talked to people down there. Almost every boy in the school played football. Refugio has good numbers.

Honestly the only real difference is going to be like you said, the overall speed and weight of the bigger school. I understand that some school's have some really tall kids but just because you are a 2A, 4A, whatever that doesn't mean that because you have more A's that your players are going to 7+ feet tall or something. Back when I played our line averaged about 275 lbs on the line with the biggest guy being 6'5" 310lbs. They all had good speed (for linemen). That was at a tiny 2A that was a 1A the next year. Bigger schools have the better odds for getting the prototypical football players but if a small school can luck into a solid crew for both sides of the ball they can compete with almost (and I stress almost) anyone. With that said I am not making the argument that Refugio would beat either of those teams or would lose to either of those teams I am just saying that the number of A's you have doesn't guarantee anything win or lose.

all good points. but MOST small schools like that dont have linemen that average 275. plus they would wear down a lot quicker due to the fact that most of those guys at small schools play both ways whereas the bigger schools can afford to only play those guys on one side of the ball. but im with you- im not making a prediction either way in this case, because you never know what might happen. sure would be embarrasing though for calallen if they got beat by lil ole refugio. id sure be rootin for em to knock em off though. if calallen is arrogant enough to schedule a school like this for any reason OTHER than to improve their squad, then they probably need to be humbled a little bit.

I can't believe people think Refugio would ever be in the game. Maybe after the first kick-off or kick-off return. Calallen would dominate them, as they would any other 2A team in the state. You guys don't understand the difference in 4A and 2A...

You have to know South Texas Football. Refugio top skill kids would match up fairly well. There top RB came from Calallen and brother was on the team that took Calallen to state. Most lineman are small but fight thier butt off. I think the real challenge would be conditioning. Late in the 4th. But last time I talked to people down there. Almost every boy in the school played football. Refugio has good numbers.

lol South Texas Football? yeah, they're slower and meaner down there... South Texas won't match East Texas speed and an east texas 2A would struggle with Calallen...

i dont know... there have been some years in the recent past that im pretty sure ANYBODY could have beaten nacogdoches

I can't believe people think Refugio would ever be in the game. Maybe after the first kick-off or kick-off return. Calallen would dominate them, as they would any other 2A team in the state. You guys don't understand the difference in 4A and 2A...

We aren't talking about Nacodoches, this is CALALLEN. They're salty...

im well aware of that. and personally think calallen would beat refugio. i was just stating that simply being a 4a doesnt mean your entitled to a win over a 2a. so weaker teams like nacogdoches was a few years ago, and many others across the state may not be a bad matchup for a solid small school.

im well aware of that. and personally think calallen would beat refugio. i was just stating that simply being a 4a doesnt mean your entitled to a win over a 2a.

New Boston beat North Lamar in one of NL's last years in 4A. Of course grand canyon size difference between Calallen and NL.

the problem for any 4a school that plays a school that much smaller is this: theres very little they could gain from it, but so much they could lose (such as their reputation, pride, etc...). nothing to gain, but a lot to lose=not much incentive for big schools to play small schools. and the opposite is true of small schools. it wouldnt be that much of a surprise if they lose to a big school, but it would be all over the papers if they beat a big school.

the problem for any 4a school that plays a school that much smaller is this: theres very little they could gain from it, but so much they could lose (such as their reputation, pride, etc...). nothing to gain, but a lot to lose=not much incentive for big schools to play small schools. and the opposite is true of small schools. it wouldnt be that much of a surprise if they lose to a big school, but it would be all over the papers if they beat a big school.

Very true about nothing to gain but a lot to lose for big schools playing small schools.

all that is baloney...the only real difference is DEPTH....and the bigger lineman is a joke..the bigger the are, the easier it is to lay em out.