The art of tackling

BigRedFan

I think the kids of today are softer than of the past.. I think alot of them are scared to hit and try to arm tackle and that is leading to misses.. Then you got some that loves to hit(falling in love with the sound instead of the tackle) but wont wrap up so you hear the big pop but the ball carrier keeps going.. i just think that alot of coaches are just happy to have a job and to have kids show up that wont did it right but stay on the team is alright with the coach..

I think the kids of today are softer than of the past.. I think alot of them are scared to hit and try to arm tackle and that is leading to misses.. Then you got some that loves to hit(falling in love with the sound instead of the tackle) but wont wrap up so you hear the big pop but the ball carrier keeps going.. i just think that alot of coaches are just happy to have a job and to have kids show up that wont did it right but stay on the team is alright with the coach..

Well said.

Tackling is overated......

funny.. if u can tackle them every time they touch the ball and keep them out of the endzone u will win WAY more then u lose.. if u think tackling is overated as u call it than try to win when the other team gets the ball and u cant tackle and they score.. u wont have a job to long and the crowd will let u hear it.. teach them how to play the game RIGHT and good things will happen..

The rules on contact have changed in just the last few years. When I was playing ball 20+ years ago (under a very, very good fundamentals coach), we were taught how to tackle. The rule was: lead with your head, but see what you hit. In other words, don't lead with the crown of your helmet, lead with the forehead. Most linebackers of that era would have to change out their facemask a couple of times per year because they scraped all of the rubber coating off of them. I was watching a college game recently, (I believe it was LSU), and saw a safety make what looked to me to be a textbook tackle on a running back. He led with his head, but hit with the forehead and top of his facemask. It drew a flag that was explained as "helmet to helmet contact." Personal foul, 15 yards, automatic first down, for a hit that my high school coach would use as a teaching tool. I understand that some of the new rules are in place for player safety, and I'm not discounting the danger of concussions. I do know that this is trickling down from the NFL. Some of what we get from the NFL is good, like the horse-collar tackle rule. I'm not certain that this is all about safety though. The NFL is all about one thing: $$$$$$$$$$. They have spent a ton of it researching their fanbase and TV audience, and they know this: OFFENSE SELLS! Your average NFL fan knows who all of the offensive playmakers for his team are, but doesn't have a clue who the defensive players are. They are only interested in seeing big plays, long passes and highlight reel catches. The NFL knows this, and if they can make rules changes to give the fans more of it while saying it is in the interest of player safety, they are going to do it. NFL players and coaches are having a tough time adapting to this, it only makes sense that the high school level would too. It is very frustrating for a football fan like myself, who grew up loving to watch big hits and great tackles, to watch kids miss tackles or have ball carriers run throught their attempts at arm tackles. Keep in mind, back in the day, coaches were allowed to keep their kids at practice longer. I can remember practicing until 7:30 on a school night. How many programs are doing that now? UIL is cutting back the number of 2-a-days that will be allowed next year, so they will have less time to work on fundamentals. Most of the time is spent working on schemes and gameplans, and at smaller schools where kids go both ways, they are very limited on the time allowed to work on the fundamentals. Just my two-cents worth!

i know my two oldest were usually at the top of leading tacklers on their teams in junior high/jv and were terrible tacklers. i showed them(very limited knowledge) more in our living room and in our yard than they learned in junior high. once they got to varsity it didn't matter as much cause they were fullbacks with some special teams thrown in.

The rules on contact have changed in just the last few years.

Excellent thoughts ... I do think rules changes have created a "gap" in the teaching of the technique ... no one is really 100% sure how to teach the skill anymore.

I have been out of coaching now for about twenty years and as I think back to all the terms and phrases we used to teach the skill now would be looked down at.

Terms like "head across the bow", "facemask on the football", "forehead in the sternum", all these appear outdated. As rules have changed to keep up with the injury concerns (as they should), I think officials are also facing a similar dilemma with not knowing exactly what is legal contact and what is not. Being a serious student of the game and its history, I have always maintained that techniques change, but fundamentals always stay the same. I still believe that to be true, but in this case I believe the technique is lagging behind - not because of the lack of expertise or the ability to teach skills, but because of concerns over teaching the wrong things. There are many things I miss about coaching, and a few I don't. #1 on my don't miss list is seeing kids injured - not those little ouchies, but being injured. How we teach the game is definitely affected by that fear. I never want to do anything that endangers a kid. That being said - we have spent a lot of time talking about the issue, but no one has ever specifically said - YOU NEED TO DO IT THIS WAY. Over the years, technique teaching has been a trickle down commodity from professional and college coaches. I have seen little indication that they have any more answers or solutions than we do.

At least part of it is the more softer -gentler and more sportmanship based football they play now. It's safer for the kids but back when we could punish the QB and RB's more they became much easier to bring down as the game progressed. I remember all the D-line and LB's used to wear those pads on their arms so they could give the ol forearm shiver (chicken -wing). And alot of folks wore the neckrolls cause we could go headgear to headgear alot more. You could also spear someone as long as they weren't on the ground and the whistle hadn't blown.

Tackling is definitely a lost art. TrueBlue pretty much said exactly what I was going to say..... you can't make a good tackle now a days without getting a penalty.

I understand that there is a risk of getting hurt and everyone is just trying to be safe...... but last time I checked, it's FOOTBALL. Some rules should be implemented such as "dirty" hits, and facemask...etc..... but my lord.... Troy Aikman had like what? 15-20 concussions???? and they've just recently started REALLY implementing all these rules. What a tackle is now is running towards the guy with the ball, throwing your body at him, and pray that the ball carrier falls down. There's no more "wrapping up" or "put your head in somebody".......

basically what it comes down to is this: It's football. You're going to get hit. You're going to get hit hard. If you don't want to get hit or get hurt................. don't play.

that's what chess is for.

Mark my words: Football will become flag football. There will be no more contact sports. Don't be surprised if this all happens relatively soon.

Tackling is definitely a lost art. TrueBlue pretty much said exactly what I was going to say..... you can't make a good tackle now a days without getting a penalty.

I understand that there is a risk of getting hurt and everyone is just trying to be safe...... but last time I checked, it's FOOTBALL. Some rules should be implemented such as "dirty" hits, and facemask...etc..... but my lord.... Troy Aikman had like what? 15-20 concussions???? and they've just recently started REALLY implementing all these rules. What a tackle is now is running towards the guy with the ball, throwing your body at him, and pray that the ball carrier falls down. There's no more "wrapping up" or "put your head in somebody".......

basically what it comes down to is this: It's football. You're going to get hit. You're going to get hit hard. If you don't want to get hit or get hurt................. don't play.

that's what chess is for.

Mark my words: Football will become flag football. There will be no more contact sports. Don't be surprised if this all happens relatively soon.

Get real dude, flag football relatively soon? Come onnnnnnnn man

Get real dude, flag football relatively soon? Come onnnnnnnn man

might as well! it's getting to the point to where you'll have to wear some sort of steel armor to not get penalized for tackling or they'll just do away with contact all together.

I mean at least we have the Madden games right?!

Teams do not tackle during two-a-days now. Most of the time spend in helmets and shorts. Then shoulder pads and shorts. Defenders are not allowed to bring offense to the ground. They are not allowed to tackle low, etc., There are no bloody ally, Oklahoma drills, etc. It just isn't done.

And, you wonder why kids can't tackle when they get in the game.

Teams do not tackle during two-a-days now. Most of the time spend in helmets and shorts. Then shoulder pads and shorts. Defenders are not allowed to bring offense to the ground. They are not allowed to tackle low, etc., There are no bloody ally, Oklahoma drills, etc. It just isn't done.

And, you wonder why kids can't tackle when they get in the game.

Why isn't it done? In your expert opinion?

over the last 8 yrs n Teague youth sports we have teach how to tackle and it is paying off really well.. We have taking these kids thru blood ally, Oklahoma and even bull n the ring(dont do this no more) for many hours.. we have had some parents complain about us being to tough but we told them if they want their kid to be the best ball player then let him stay and learn.. It has to be in the kid to want to tackle but if they have been hitting hard and learning to wrap up for yrs it will come easier to them as they get older.. I coach the Teague Srs 10-12 yrs old team and we aint the biggest or fastest but we hit hard and aint scared to tackle anyone and it has payed off with us making it to the Superbowl this saturday over some really good big and fast teams.. i just think the kids of today feed off their coach and alot of coaches r to scared to be to tough on these kids for fear of losing their job..

Why isn't it done? In your expert opinion?

Lol, I'm not a coach so definitely not an expert. But, I believe it's the fear of getting players hurt. That seems to be the answer from the coaches I've spoken with.

But, why was that not a concern back in the day?

I don't remember many players getting hurt in two-a-days or practice during the season. We tackled every day except Thursday. Didn't seem to be any more injuries back then.

over the last 8 yrs n Teague youth sports we have teach how to tackle and it is paying off really well.. We have taking these kids thru blood ally, Oklahoma and even bull n the ring(dont do this no more) for many hours.. we have had some parents complain about us being to tough but we told them if they want their kid to be the best ball player then let him stay and learn.. It has to be in the kid to want to tackle but if they have been hitting hard and learning to wrap up for yrs it will come easier to them as they get older.. I coach the Teague Srs 10-12 yrs old team and we aint the biggest or fastest but we hit hard and aint scared to tackle anyone and it has payed off with us making it to the Superbowl this saturday over some really good big and fast teams.. i just think the kids of today feed off their coach and alot of coaches r to scared to be to tough on these kids for fear of losing their job..

Thank god the don't teach English in the Teague Youth Sports Assoc.