Tatum QB Jalen Overstreet Committs to UT

Eagle8

He received an offer just a few days ago and it didnt take long for him to make a decision. As a Texas fan, I'm very excited to see this young man in burnt orange.

I'm glad to see UT get this young man, as I think he will be a great addition to Harsins' offensive scheme. However, here's my question. Do you think he will the opportunity to play QB, or do you think he will be used at some other position? I ask this because Connor Brewer is on his way to UT,and the continued development of Ash. ( I have a feeling Case McCoy will be transfering due to the fact his father may be becoming a hinderance to the coaching staff)

In any case, I wish the young man well and HOOK'EM !

Overstreet will get his chance at QB. Mack Brown is known for giving a player a shot at position they were recruited. I would say that they let him practice and take a few snaps in the first couple of years. If he shines, then he plays or possibly starts. If not, then they redshirt him a year and fit him in at defense. Either way he should be able to have a good career in football and get a great education. It really will be up to him how well he does. If he puts in the hard work and learns the system, with his size and speed the sky is the limit.

Harsin is very high on Overstreet and I believe that he thinks that Overstreet is going to be that diamond in the rough. If he can live up to the hype, it is an incredible pick by him and UT. I have a feeling that you will see him behind the center sometime in the next couple of years.

I actually get a chance to interview Overtsreet tonight for KGAS radio and if anyone has a question for him, let me know before 2:00 this afternoon.

Very sad to hear but good for him. SAW EM OFF

Come on Lion70, him signing at UT has to be the best thing for you. If they had picked Barnes, then you would have a problem rooting for him at UT.

Hope you enjoy the SEC where the Aggies will get plenty of T.V. time getting whipped like a red-headed stepchild. Good luck with that. lol

Congratulations to jalen and his family. I've heard nothing but great things about this young man and having watched him play, he is the real deal. A Vince young type QB for the longhorns.

Hey now easy on the vy comparison! I dont think overstreet is at that level atleast not yet

Just a list of a few names...

Eddie Jones

Vondrel McGee

Traylon Shead

Chris Jones

All staters' all Americans that went to UT And got lost...

Eddie Jones played and started, McGee was never in college whay he was in high school and shead might still play but doubtful over Malcolm brown and incoming Jonathan grey

People are fast to say that if Overstreet doesn't make quarterback, he'll play defense. If he's not behind center, I would have him playing WR. He would be your Dez Bryant or T.O. type. He's hard to bring down and throws a mean stiff arm. Regardless, just getting an offer from U.T. is an accomplishment in itself.

Congrats Jalen, I know your Mom and Dad are proud. Keep your focus and work your tail off and show everyone what you can do.

Eddie Jones played and started, McGee was never in college whay he was in high school and shead might still play but doubtful over Malcolm brown and incoming Jonathan grey

I mean I'm happy for young man...any schooling paid for is excellent! But I thk some kids fall in love with the "name" of the school. That's just my opinion. Not saying that's wat Jalen did but UT tends to over-recruit.

My personal thoughts......

Due to Ash and with highly rated Brewer coming in this class as well. I see Overstreet pulling a redshirt his first year. Meanwhile, getting worked out at QB his redshirt year. At the end of that year 1 of 3 things will happen. He'll become a QB, he goes to WR, or he suits up at Saftey. No matter how ya look at it though........Tatum's first player to become a horn. Congrats to Overstreet and his family.

However Mack Brown aint scared to play freshmen........he may see early time at WR/S and depending on how well the others play....maybe at QB as well.

I mean I'm happy for young man...any schooling paid for is excellent! But I thk some kids fall in love with the "name" of the school. That's just my opinion. Not saying that's wat Jalen did but UT tends to over-recruit.

How so? Every college recruits extra at all positions for several reasons. Some don't pan out (GG), some transfer due to not meeting the coaches expectations and not getting the playing time they desire ( attrition), grades may get a few, the off field situations that could get one in trouble, and of course, injuries. You never can tell what is going to happen when they get to college. Isn't it the job of the coaches to go after the best kids that they think will help the program and then the responsibility of the athlete to prove themselves worthy of playing time?

I may be missing your point, but please enlighten me as to why you believe UT "over-recruits". ( No sarcasm or trying to be a wise guy)

On a side note, according to another web site I peruse Traylon was listed as another player who may be leaving UT. Pure speculation and hearsay but worth taking note of.

Hey now easy on the vy comparison! I dont think overstreet is at that level atleast not yet

Well you're probably right on the comparisons but watching him that's who he reminded me of. I remember watch Vince with Texas and It didn't seem like he was moving very fast. Kind of seemed like he was in slow motion. Watching jalen I see the same thing.

Eddie Jones plays in the NFL.........and he had many shoulder sugeries while in college