Great Coaches

wildchild

Just thinking about the coaching staff at Paul Pewitt and wondering what do you guys think makes a great coach?

First of all I think we are blessed to have the coaches we have at PP!

I believe Great coaches lead by example on and off the field, genuinely care about their athletes and look to unselfishly serve.

What's it going to be for YOU?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm Coach Surratt Of Carthage:

First Year In Carthage Went 9-3 Lost To Liberty Hill and They went on to Win State

They Next three years Carthage won state 3 times and the W-L record over that time was 44-4

This Year Carthage Has Been the Underdog alot we are 8-3 now in the second round Trying to get this 4 peat

GOOD LUCK DAWGS

I think the main issue is CHARACTER. The coach himself or herself must have character first. The whole team, school and community can follow such a coach. So I know there are many great coaches and I do not think the original post was for specific names, but since they are being listed, I will be mentioning Mike Maddox at Grace. Numbers are not the main criteria but the coach will get the numbers if the team buys into what the coach is implementing.

Those are two GREAT choices homegrown. Either of those would be a GREAT hire. ;)

Was just naming 2 coaches close to my area that I think is a fine example of what a coach suppose to be.. Not talking about hiring them becauseTeague has already had that chance..

Oh I was just messing around. I know we have had the chance and didn't take advantage of it. They are both outstanding coaches though.

Was just naming 2 coaches close to my area that I think is a fine example of what a coach suppose to be.. Not talking about hiring them becauseTeague has already had that chance..

You guys in Teague need to count your blessings. Getting a new AD each year will never get you anywhere. Keep what you got and give them a chance. I KNOW he is good and cares. You won't find anyone like him to care for the kids of your town. Trust me! Don't find out the hard way!

Everyone has the right to their opinion.

You guys in Teague need to count your blessings. Getting a new AD each year will never get you anywhere. Keep what you got and give them a chance. I KNOW he is good and cares. You won't find anyone like him to care for the kids of your town. Trust me! Don't find out the hard way!

To have Bullard where they are you have to put Shannon Wilsons name in here. This man has taken a very small Bullard team farther than the school has ever been with a team that is 75 percent juniors. He has also surrounded himself with great assistant coaches. Thank you very much coach......

Just thinking about the coaching staff at Paul Pewitt and wondering what do you guys think makes a great coach?

First of all I think we are blessed to have the coaches we have at PP!

I believe Great coaches lead by example on and off the field, genuinely care about their athletes and look to unselfishly serve.

What's it going to be for YOU?

I hope more people would appreciate those guys. They get bashed all the time by our own fans. I played for the current coaches at Pewitt. They were more than coaches, they were mentors, they were my 2nd Dad. They werent always easy to play for, but I look back and love them for what they did for me. I carry a little of Kumrow, Sib, and Cartwright with me everyday.

I hope more people would appreciate those guys. They get bashed all the time by our own fans. I played for the current coaches at Pewitt. They were more than coaches, they were mentors, they were my 2nd Dad. They werent always easy to play for, but I look back and love them for what they did for me. I carry a little of Kumrow, Sib, and Cartwright with me everyday.

I have a son that would agree with you those guys are more than coaches I could even add a couple more names to the list...

I think the main issue is CHARACTER. The coach himself or herself must have character first. The whole team, school and community can follow such a coach. So I know there are many great coaches and I do not think the original post was for specific names, but since they are being listed, I will be mentioning Mike Maddox at Grace. Numbers are not the main criteria but the coach will get the numbers if the team buys into what the coach is implementing.

your right on target "CHARACTER" and Maddox is a Great one as well!

All programs need consistency. You cannot have 4 head coaches in 4 years and get that. Any new head coach needs about 3 or 4 years, then you see where the overall program is at that point.

Just to clear the air and set the record straight.. Teague has not fired these coaches and is not the reason why it has been 4 head coaches in 4 years.. Coach Hayes was there 15+ years and left right before 2adays so Coach Harris was given the interm lable,, The job was posted and Coach Josh Finney was selected and did an outstanding job but he did something that the higher ppl didnt like so him and them didnt see eye to eye no more so he left.. Coach Coffman(was Finney OC) was given the job but wouldnt take it without getting a 2 year deal and was given that so he took the job.. Now alot of ppl n Teague is not happy with what they seen with the way the program is going not only on the field but off as well so they are letting it be known that they want a change.. I have said we need to give Coach Coffman more time to see how or if he can get this thing turned around but alot of ppl are saying the more time he gets the more time our program will be behind because he is not gonna make it here in Teague.. They understand that we have had 4 head coaches in 4 years but they have said lets go ahead and get the right man for the job in here that will be here for the long haul so he can get started on his way because we have TONS of talent coming up over the next 5 years.. I LOVE my Lions and want to see this thing settled one way or the other so I can get back to seeing them n the playoffs on regular..

Just to clear the air and set the record straight.. Teague has not fired these coaches and is not the reason why it has been 4 head coaches in 4 years.. Coach Hayes was there 15+ years and left right before 2adays so Coach Harris was given the interm lable,, The job was posted and Coach Josh Finney was selected and did an outstanding job but he did something that the higher ppl didnt like so him and them didnt see eye to eye no more so he left.. Coach Coffman(was Finney OC) was given the job but wouldnt take it without getting a 2 year deal and was given that so he took the job.. Now alot of ppl n Teague is not happy with what they seen with the way the program is going not only on the field but off as well so they are letting it be known that they want a change.. I have said we need to give Coach Coffman more time to see how or if he can get this thing turned around but alot of ppl are saying the more time he gets the more time our program will be behind because he is not gonna make it here in Teague.. They understand that we have had 4 head coaches in 4 years but they have said lets go ahead and get the right man for the job in here that will be here for the long haul so he can get started on his way because we have TONS of talent coming up over the next 5 years.. I LOVE my Lions and want to see this thing settled one way or the other so I can get back to seeing them n the playoffs on regular..

What happened with Finney?

Im the best coach i've ever seen. I have never lost a game, it was always the palyers fault. When im watching sports, any sport, and regardless of the level, youth - pro, i always know and can say what the coach could have done to win. I guess it's just a gift. I also can be a "players coach" or "rigid and cold" just have that ability to reach people to push the right buttons. I should probably coach a lot more but i just can't find the time. If all the young coaches could just pattern themselves after me they would probably fly through the coaching ranks, win numerous titles and all be remembered as the 2nd best coach ever. I feel kind of bad about them not being able to be the best ever but I think they would be honored to mentioned in the same sentence with me. I'm also a great mentor. I always stress that character is more important than anything. People will forget the wins and losses but they always remember the type of person you are, but thats not an excuse to lose or anything. My main thing is atheletes today should be humble. It can't be all about you. They need to realize the value of their teammates and family. I always tell my players "there is no 'i' in team but there is an 'm' and 'e' so dont blow this for me and have fun but dont freaking lose"

Here's my take-

4 coaches in 4 years; maybe 5

You can say the people of Teague aren't to blame but I disagree.

When a proven coach gets his contract tabled in July which has happen with Hayes proven (87-71) (15 years) and Finney (45-16) (4 with Maud, 1 with Teague) and noone backs them or tries to get them to stay, yeah maybe friends do or parents with kids that are going to beneift from them, but community support- there was none on these 2 occurences so how can you explain a "great" coach and his staff to come in and try to stay for awhile and raise their families when you got business like that going on within your school district. If there is 1 mess up on the AD's behalf, is #### going to hit the fan??? If so, will he have community/administration support?? Whether your AD is having character issues or not, tableing contracts to proven winners is bad business no matter what. Either fire them or tell them you got their back no matter what. Why not wait to address the situation or problem in december/january instead of July for christ's sake instead of having a season of turmoil like they have had in 2009- (1-9) (underachieved) ,and 2011- (5-5) (underachieved) is what they have finished the 2 seasons in which what I call years they've done "bad business".. So the problem is pretty black and white. What I haven't quite understood was how Coach Coffman got a 2-year deal if Finney was being evaluated in January?? If Finney was going to be evaluated after this season if he chose to stay, why doesn't the program as a whole not get evaluated? Are all of the staff on the same page? Are the kids on the same page with the coaches? Some people are going to have to stand up to the adminstration if they want something done. Whether it be for Coach Coffman or for a new head coach, a decision needs to be made and needs to be made soon. This isn't fair to the athletes of Teague Jr./Sr. High or Coach Coffman his staff, and their families. Just too much limbo in my opinion. I pray and hope that the powers find a solution to this problem Teague is having. Personally i believe the right step for the Teague program starts with accountability and relentless work in the weightroom. Good luck to the officials, athletes, and coaches of Teague as they try to find a solution.