Pewitt vs Corsicana Mildred Friday 7:30 @ Lindale

GoBigBlue

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who advances Pewitt or Mildred?

What i think is mildred knows the beast they ARE facing this week and they know how to prepare pretty well for good teams. An with the bye week they just had it gave them a little more time to see u guys play and get better at what they are doing while you were focusing on another team

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not justifying it! Im saying it had nothing to do with the outcome of the game! If the roles had been reversed and pewitt had done it and we had walked off like yall the score still would have been 53-14 PP! Im not saying its right but personally i love it! Theres no better feeling than coming out on the field on a friday night! I have no resaon to justify because im sure no oppenent likes! Im just saying stop whinning about it,and lets talk football not pre-game!

You can dance, turn flips, flop on the ground and anything else you want but that doesn't help win games. There is nothing wrong with getting fired up and being excited about a football game. If you are not excited and fired up before a football game you might need to take up golf.

Nobody has a problem with players, coaches or fans being excited before, during or after the game but taunting is a different story. Taunting is not allowed at any level and is a penalty if the refs see it.

One kid taunted PP, and was highly repremanded by his SENIOR teammates. Thats all PP fans have to talk about because they know mildred is better this year!

BRAHMAS: WINNING WITH CLASS

by Johnny Green

Texarkana Gazette

For thos of you who, like me, detest the individual showboating that invariably occurs in practically every athletic arena at any level these days, allow me to make a suggestion: Attend a Paul Pewitt High School football game.

And hurry. The Brahmas will be on display only one more time this season when they play for Class 2A's Division II State Championship against Celina on Friday evening in Mesquite.

Showboating has become an art form in sports, particulary at the professional level where some individual athletes seem to try to outdo one another, several using various props such as cell phones and Sharpie pens to autograph footballs.

I guess they think it's cute, as apparently do the fans who applaud their efforts. To me, it's disgusting. That's why watching the kids from Paul Pewitt play is like a breath of fresh air.

So far I've watched the Brahmas annihilate five playoff opponents, and I've yet to see one of their players separate himself from his teamates with any sort of histrionics meant to draw the spotlight to him.

It's a tribute to the coaching staff, headed by Brian Huckabay, who believes that you can win just as easy with class as without it.

"You're not going to see us jump up and down and pound our chests or raise our hands in the air," Huckabay said. "Our philosphy is you did your job, and that is no reason to make a show. Go back to the huddle and get ready for the next play."

Such ethics are not easy to ingrain into the minds of impressionable youngsters influenced by what they see on television.

"That makes it difficult," Huckabay said. "I'm not a fan of professional sports, and if the Cowboys played on our field I wouldn't pass up a hunting trip to be there. I love high school sports, and I think it's one of the last areas we can teach kids the proper way to do things successfully and enjoy other people patting you on the back. You don't have to pat yourself on the back.

"What we teach is we don't accept anything that brings attentions to you as an individual. It's all about team, and we think that's what leads to success in life. It's tough today with what the kids see on television. They want to mimic what they see, but they realize they will be standing on the sidelines with me if tha't the kind of player they're going to be. But these kids would rather play."

Huckabay admits he's had teams that tested his way of doing things.

"I've had talented teams in the past where kids would express concern about the number of carries they were getting or how much we were throwing the ball and not getting the opportunity to showcase their talents," he said. "But there has not been an instance, not one inkling of that on this team."

The opportunity for grousing is certainly there. There is no question the team's best players are fullback Jessie Harrison and Teric Williams, two seniors who are by far the most publicized players on the team, and deservedly so.

Not only has the duo combined for more than 4,500 yards rushing and 66 touchdowns they are also the team's leading tacklers. Harrion has already been named the Defensive Player of the Year on the 2005 Associated Press All-State Team.

"Teric and Jessie get most of the pub, but there's no jealousy from the other guys," Huckabay said. "And those two have done a good job of reflecting the credit back to the team. They understand they wouldn't have all of the rushing numbers without the help of the offensive line, and also the defense is a team effort."

It's such an attitude that will make things easier to mold future Brahma teams in their image.

"These juniors and seniors are really good examples for the younger kids," Huckabay said. "Those starting football in the seventh and eighth grades may think the way to play the game is what they see on television, but our players help them. They understand these young kids look up to them and are their heroes.

"If they see Jessie Harrison make a good run, or Teric Williams make a flashy play, then hustle back to the huddle to do it again, I think that's a good example for them to follow."

For me, the entire Paul Pewitt team is an example of the way football is supposed to be played. Not only do the Brahmas win, they win with class.

Just wanted to share an article that was back from 2006 that someone put on my desk this past week. Our team isn't as rigid as it was back then but 95% of it still holds true.

As far as the game, and I couldn't agree more to getting to football, Pewitt will again attempt to pound it down the others team throat and slip in a sweep or two along the way. They then will try to catch the other team napping and throw the long ball. Our offense is led by Jr. QB Rustin McFarland, who will hand off to the same three headed monster of last year in bruisers Bam Finley and Justin Goforth and the homerun hitter Sedrick Johnson. Our line is mainly all back with the exception of a guard. We are bigger than last year. I haven't averaged the line but let's just say they haven't missed any meals lately.

Our Defense is better than last years in my opinion. It is highlighted by the LB'ers Goforth and Wright with Sedrick Johnson in the safety position. Any of the three could play at any level of ball. Our Ends are better than last year or let me rephrase are playing better, much better. We did lose an outstanding Noseguard to grauduation but an underclassman has filled in just nicely.

Overall we still run it 99% of the time with the trap and don't do anything fancy on the Defense.

Y'all talk about taunting and being respectful what do the PP fans consider all of this trash they are talking not only this yr and last year is that showing respect to your opponent? I don't think so, goes in the same boat as taunting just in a different way! Let the kids play and talk about the game not pre-game rituals. Who said Mildred does that anymore anyway? PP is obviously a football power and noone is denying that but I think Mildred respects PP and realizes this weeks game is an opportunity to put Mildred on the map in terms of football. Try to talk about something such as players to watch and stuff like that not something that happened in the past. All I have to say is watch out for #9 and #3 from Mildred they're very good football players! Can't wait until Friday!!!!

It was not running over my guys, nor will it ever. Easy to stop when you have the right scheme and players to do it. Not a whole lot of variation to that offense. Extremely predictable...

Predictiable eh? I can think of a lot of offences that were predictable and still unstoppable. The houston Oilers with Earl Campbell up the middle on every play. OU sooners running the option. The run and shoot teams of June Jones and Jack Pardee. The 72 Dolphins. The 85 Bears.

It really does matter if you know what is coming. What matters is can you stop it?

Y'all talk about taunting and being respectful what do the PP fans consider all of this trash they are talking not only this yr and last year is that showing respect to your opponent? I don't think so, goes in the same boat as taunting just in a different way! Let the kids play and talk about the game not pre-game rituals. Who said Mildred does that anymore anyway? PP is obviously a football power and noone is denying that but I think Mildred respects PP and realizes this weeks game is an opportunity to put Mildred on the map in terms of football. Try to talk about something such as players to watch and stuff like that not something that happened in the past. All I have to say is watch out for #9 and #3 from Mildred they're very good football players! Can't wait until Friday!!!!

Put Mildred on the map? This will be the first good football team Mildred has EVER beaten, if of course, Mildred does win...

I did that for a buddy who hates it being called Corscicana Mildred. Just like we hate Omaha Paul Pewitt. Omaha is the smaller of the two towns that make-up Pewitt. Omaha is used becasue it is alphabetically correct.

No actually, Omaha is the mailing address. That is the reason for Omaha being listed.