Best basketball team to ever come out of East Texas?

AllRRV

The 77 DF team had South Oak Cliff beat until the last minute of the Marshall tournament. They went on to win the Big School State title.

If you start a list of the best BB coaches and do not put Homer Young on it you do not have a list.

Pat Mahomes went pro in baseball out of hs but ask anyone that saw him play hoops at Lindale and they will tell ya he is one of the best ever..He had a full ride offer to go to Arkansas and would have been on the team with Mayberry,Thurman and company. He had an offer to play football at Stanford as well. Amazing hs athlete.

Actually Mahomes signed with Zero U for basketball but was drafted by the Twins in the first round and signed with them.He averaged about 30 ppg

I'll agree with Terry Teagle being the best I ever saw play in East Texas.he was an All American at Baylor, 1st round draft pick of the Rockets and an outstanding player for Golden State and the Lakers.

Only one choice for best girl and that's Teresa Weatherspoon from West Sabine.She was a 3 time All American at LA Tech,Olympic team captain, 8 years a pro for New York,5 times 1st team All League and 2 times Defensive Player of the Year.

Greg Powell of Shelbyville holds the Texas High School record for season scoring average of 43.8 points per game his senior year and his junior year average ranks 6th all time.

For 3A and below the 2005 state champ Van team was pretty salty. No team came any closer than 10 points in the playoffs. No huge stars on the team but as far as TEAMS go they were one of the best.

Got to agree with that. I think that Van team was probably the best 3A I've ever personally seen.

For 3A and below the 2005 state champ Van team was pretty salty. No team came any closer than 10 points in the playoffs. No huge stars on the team but as far as TEAMS go they were one of the best.

I thought Brandon Roberts was a pretty big star for you guys personally, but the entire team was solid. Brandon was one of the best PG's I'd ever gotten to see play at the 3A level, great vision. Him and Troy Alexander reminded me a lot of each other from Highland Park.

1992 Longview Lobos

5A State Champions

6 players went on to play college basketball (not counting a guy named Bobby Taylor who was 5A player of the year but chose another route)

Think about that for a minute. This team had 2 guys on the bench at all times that were good enough to play in college but weren't good enough to start for their high school team.

This. The best balanced team that I have ever seen. If I remember right, Around 8 out of the 12 players were 6'3 or taller and could jump out of the gym. The best player on the team went to The Irish to play football after being named the best basketball player in Texas. The were fun to watch during pregame.

1985 Grapeland Sandies boys team, beat every 4a and 5a around, won Rice tourney in Waco, beat DFW 4a and 5a also, only losses to bball rival at the time Trinity

+1

Could have won the title in multiple divisions with their speed, size, and athleticism.

They beat that year both 4A and 5A teams from around the state that went very deep in the playoffs, warm ups and games were a show, dunks of every kind by every player but I believe one, only one player i believe got bball scholarship, several got football scholarships, and one got both plus track.

+1

Could have won the title in multiple divisions with their speed, size, and athleticism.

Guest JORR2CAR

In 2a I got to go with the Troup Tigers in the early 90's. With big Gregg Austin and many others. Won a couple of state chamionships. If I can remember right they also had a chance to 3 pt. But lost. Beat many 4a and 5a teams in those years.

The Sabine Cardinal teams of the early '80's. In a four year span from '79-'80 season to the '82-'83 season, the Cardinals won two state championships, one of which they went 34-0, another final four appearance, and a regional final. In that four year span, the Cardinals were 126-8 which included a 54 game win streak, an 82 game home winning streak, and a 78 district game win streak that had started a couple of years before the four year run. During this run the Cardinals had beaten 4A and 5A schools on a regular basis. The highlight of beating the bigger schools was in '82 when Tyler Lee was the #1 ranked 5A team in Texas with Charles Young and Sabine was the #1 ranked team in Texas in 2A. Sabine led by 17 going into the 4th quarter and held on for a three point win. The only loss to a 4A or 5A school during those years was to 4A 4th ranked A&M Consolidated and it went down to the wire. Lots of talent on those teams with somewhere around 12-15 kids going on to play college ball. One kid played in the CBA for about eight years. He went to six different NBA camps but couldn't ever make a final cut. Another kid played in Europe for 10 or 12 years.

• 8 years later...
On 11/22/2011 at 11:08 PM, your-my-boy-blue! said:

The Sabine Cardinal teams of the early '80's. In a four year span from '79-'80 season to the '82-'83 season, the Cardinals won two state championships, one of which they went 34-0, another final four appearance, and a regional final. In that four year span, the Cardinals were 126-8 which included a 54 game win streak, an 82 game home winning streak, and a 78 district game win streak that had started a couple of years before the four year run. During this run the Cardinals had beaten 4A and 5A schools on a regular basis. The highlight of beating the bigger schools was in '82 when Tyler Lee was the #1 ranked 5A team in Texas with Charles Young and Sabine was the #1 ranked team in Texas in 2A. Sabine led by 17 going into the 4th quarter and held on for a three point win. The only loss to a 4A or 5A school during those years was to 4A 4th ranked A&M Consolidated and it went down to the wire. Lots of talent on those teams with somewhere around 12-15 kids going on to play college ball. One kid played in the CBA for about eight years. He went to six different NBA camps but couldn't ever make a final cut. Another kid played in Europe for 10 or 12 years.

Great team. I was there in Huntsville when little tiny Shelbyville ended their run in the regional final..  It was truly a David vs. Goliath matchup but we came out on top and finished the season with a state championship. 

We had a nice run ourselves from 81 to 84. Winning about 125 games with about 8 losses. A 33-0 season in 84, 32-1 in 82. A 50+ game win streak, two state championships, and 4 straight regional appearances. 

The streak continued into 85 with a win streak ending at near 50. . Changes to the eligibility rules in regards to grades sabotaged the tradition through 89 (one teacher) but we still managed 2 more regional finals appearances with both of those seasons ending with one loss. . Those were 1987 and 1989. 

Then take it back a little further Terry Teagle and Broaddus beat us out in 77 and 78. Then 79 and 80 we played up in 3a and still managed a district championship. 

From about 77 to 89 Shelbyville was about as good as any small school around. Several players went on to college but none really had much luck. Partly because Shelbyville is so tiny and primitive the kids just didn't have much culture. . Jeff Chumbley was probably the next best player behind Terry Teagle to come out of the area. . As a sophomore he won the battle down low against two all state Sabine players and he also absolutely dominated Carlton McKinney and Patrick William's in the state championship games in 82 and 84. Both players went on to be successful D1 players.

Chumbley had trouble adjusting in a few stops at D1 colleges. He was a player though! Should have made the NBA.

On 11/21/2011 at 10:14 PM, Guest JORR2CAR said:

In 2a I got to go with the Troup Tigers in the early 90's. With big Gregg Austin and many others. Won a couple of state chamionships. If I can remember right they also had a chance to 3 pt. But lost. Beat many 4a and 5a teams in those years.

Remember this post j2c?  Lol