Best basketball team to ever come out of East Texas?

AllRRV

3 hours ago, 68Hornet said:

Nobody mentioned so far is better than Lufkin when they had 6-9 twins and won the 5A state championship when they were freshmen or sophomores, I can't remember. I believe they both grew another inch or two.

Wasn’t that the year Lufkin’s left handed guard kissed one off the glass to win it?  Almost remembered his name???

On 11/16/2011 at 12:28 PM, Reddog92 said:

That right.. I always heard if you put a 20 dollar bill on the top of the backboard, Teagle could get it down and give you change. He definantly scored more in the NBA than any one else from East Texas. Not to bad for 1A Broddus . Benford Williams out of Silsbee was no sloutch either.

Williams was not from Silsbee.

Terry Teagle is far and away the best from East Texas

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, longhorncrazy said:

Williams was not from Silsbee.

Terry Teagle is far and away the best from East Texas

May be the best but not far and away.......John Beasley,Linden-Kildare, starred at Texas A&M and played 8 or 9 seasons in the ABA. And several others from East Texas not far behind Terry in regards to high school ball. 

On 11/20/2011 at 6:27 PM, lobo1982 said:

This. The best balanced team that I have ever seen. If I remember right, Around 8 out of the 12 players were 6'3 or taller and could jump out of the gym. The best player on the team went to The Irish to play football after being named the best basketball player in Texas. The were fun to watch during pregame.

They are undoubtedly the best team to ever come out of East Texas but I disagree that Bobby was the best player on the team. He was the most known but a sophomore name Toby Bush was the best player. And if you were to ask Bobby or anybody on that team they would prolly say the same

• 2 years later...

Terry Teagle and the Braoddus Bulldogs were one of the best high school basketball teams ever in the state of Texas . Teagle had the ability to jump out of any gym and was bad to the bone . He was just simply great . It was unfortunate that tiny Shelbyville was in the same district as tiny Broaddus . During 1977 and 1978 Shelbyville and Broaddus could have beat any team in the state A  AA  AAA or AAAA . Broaddus knew to win State they had to beat Shelbyville . Not only that , two of the best players in the state were in the same district. Shelbyville had a player that should have played NBA ball . He was just that good . I watched this kid drop 46 points by halftime in a game (no 3 pointer back then ) . I remember us trying to bully him in high school games . His demeanor would never change . The only was to slow him down was to try and kill him . Shelbyville was not in the same district as us however we played them twice yearly , normally 2 weeks after the season started . Day 1 of pratice our coach had us running drills on how to stop John Garrett (14 days prior to the game) . If there are any questoins about John Garrett's basketball skills ask Terry Teagle and the Broaddus Bulldogs from 1975 - 1978 . It was sad to know that he was attacked by a player with a steel chair to his knees in Tenaha Texas H.S. basketball game. Hats off to the 1st round 16th pick in the 1982 NBA draft Terry Teagle.