Aggies next coach

centex1

Who are the early stand out canidates for this job. I have heard a hot candidate could be Diaz from Texas . But knowing the aggies they like to go alumni too so will they able to land one? I know east Texas has a hot up and coming aggie alum but can the aggs lure Jamie salter away from his current position?

Who are the early stand out canidates for this job. I have heard a hot candidate could be Diaz from Texas . But knowing the aggies they like to go alumni too so will they able to land one? I know east Texas has a hot up and coming aggie alum but can the aggs lure Jamie salter away from his current position?

Wrong forum buddy

Why Sumlin?

He has 3 winning seasons out of 4 coaching. The 1 losing was without Case Keenum

Why not Sumlin?

He is still relatively new in building a program.

Why?

He has an established recruiting base in Texas

Why not?

He has not really landed the big names and players at Houston. Can it transfer?

Why?

Young and brings new excitement to the school

Why not?

You are moving to the SEC. Excitement ends after 1 loss.

Why Sumlin?

He has 3 winning seasons out of 4 coaching. The 1 losing was without Case Keenum

Why not Sumlin?

He is still relatively new in building a program.

Why?

He has an established recruiting base in Texas

Why not?

He has not really landed the big names and players at Houston. Can it transfer?

Why?

Young and brings new excitement to the school

Why not?

You are moving to the SEC. Excitement ends after 1 loss.

He's unproven.

I'm hearing that this will not be a rushed decision. President Loftin is more less making the hire seeing as how Byrne is no his way out of the door. Here are the four guys being looked at and some info on each of them. FWIW, I like smart or strong.

KEVIN SUMLIN

Currently:

Head Coach, University of Houston

Resume:

Head Coach - Houston (2008-Present)

Offensive Coordinator - Oklahoma (2006-2007)

Special Teams Coordinator/ Tight Ends Coach - Oklahoma (2003-2005)

Wide Receivers Coach/Offensive Coordinator - Texas A&M (2001-2002)

Career Record:

35-16 (.686)

Interest in A&M Position:

High

The Bottom Line:

A former assistant under R.C. Slocum in College Station, Sumlin's profile has skyrocketed this season as the 11-0 Cougars fight for a BCS berth. Sumlin has helped build UH into the elite team in Conference USA and a potential Big East winner in the coming years in spite of the location of UH and the facilities it possesses. Sumlin has also been offered the head coaching job at Arizona State.

KIRBY SMART

Currently:

Defensive Coordinator, University of Alabama

Resume:

Defensive Coordinator - Alabama (2008-Present)

Secondary Coach - Alabama (2007-2008)

Safeties Coach - Miami Dolphins (2006-2007)

Running Backs Coach - Georgia (2005-2006)

Defensive Backs Coach - LSU (2004-2005)

High

The Bottom Line:

A true Nick Saban disciple, Smart has become one of the hottest assistants in the nation through his ability to develop a strong defense and his outstanding recruiting ability. He was the 2009 winner of the Broyles Award for the nation's top assistant, and coached the nation's top-rated defense in 2008.

CHARLIE STRONG

Currently:

Head Coach, Louisville

Resume:

Head Coach - Louisville (2010-2011)

Defensive Coordinator - Florida (2003-2010)

Defensive Coordinator - South Carolina (1999-2002)

Career Record:

14-11 (.560)

High

The Bottom Line:

It took 27 years in the business for Strong to get his first head coaching gig, but he's on the short list of several schools right now. While Louisville has been average during his tenure, he has made them strong defensively -- a hallmark that has carried over from his days at Florida, where he developed powerful defenses under Steve Spurrier, Ron Zook and Urban Meyer. He was a driving force behind UF having multiple top-5 recruiting classes, including Rivals' No. 1 class in 2007.

LARRY FEDORA

Currently:

Head Coach, Southern Miss

Resume:

Head Coach - Southern Miss (2009-2011)

Offensive Coordinator - Oklahoma State (2006-2009)

Run Game Coordinator/Perimeter Game Coordinator/Offensive Coordinator - Florida (2002-2002)

Career Record:

32-19 (.627)

High

The Bottom Line:

Best known to the Aggie faithful as the guy who helped revitalize Oklahoma State's offense, he's helped USM become one of Conference USA's best programs in his three years in Hattiesburg. A native of College Station with a brother coaching at Navasota High School, Fedora would unquestionably jump at the opportunity to take the A&M job.

Supposedly there is no rush and all four will be intwrviewed and get serious looks. I personally think you have to go with a defensive minded coach who has sec experience and this are Smart and Strong. Sumlin would probably recruit well and brings fire, but I'm not sold on him in the sec. If the Aggies were still in the big 12, sumlin is hired without even interviewing anyone else.

My pick is Smart. He is only 35, has sec experience, has learned from saban, and might enter as the best recruiter tamu has ever had from day 1. He understands that it takes athletes on defense to win in the sec and his name is highly respected among recruits in sec country already. I think he is the clear choice, but I'll be happy with Strong. I like sumlin as well, but Only if he runs a pro style offense like he did at tamu and OU before. If he brings the Houston offense I will be highly disappointed.

Supposedly there is no rush and all four will be intwrviewed and get serious looks. I personally think you have to go with a defensive minded coach who has sec experience and this are Smart and Strong. Sumlin would probably recruit well and brings fire, but I'm not sold on him in the sec. If the Aggies were still in the big 12, sumlin is hired without even interviewing anyone else.

My pick is Smart. He is only 35, has sec experience, has learned from saban, and might enter as the best recruiter tamu has ever had from day 1. He understands that it takes athletes on defense to win in the sec and his name is highly respected among recruits in sec country already. I think he is the clear choice, but I'll be happy with Strong. I like sumlin as well, but Only if he runs a pro style offense like he did at tamu and OU before. If he brings the Houston offense I will be highly disappointed.

4 pretty good candidates. Strong and Smart should be the top 2 choices. Most aggies I've seen want Sumlin, which I think would be a big mistake for the Aggies.

The D needs help in a big way.

4 pretty good candidates. Strong and Smart should be the top 2 choices. Most aggies I've seen want Sumlin, which I think would be a big mistake for the Aggies.

The D needs help in a big way.

I think it all depends which Aggies you talk to. Most of the ones I know, including myself, want Smart or Strong before Sumlin. Many of the Houston area Ags want sumlin. It's really almost 50/50 from a fan perspective so far.

Here is what I will say about the situation though, it was President Loftin, gene stallings and Jackie sherill leading the charge for a head coaching change. They were the ones who rallied the donars to buy out Sherman. Byrne and RC Slocum were supporters of keeping Sherman and they rallied their donars. As we know, Loftin won that battle. Now, Stallings and Sherill met with Kirby smart Wednesday morning. He seems to be their guy. RC and byrne are currently pushing for sumlin. Strong and fedora are getting brought up as well but more because they put their name in the convo. They will still get looks though...

My point is, Loftin won the first battle and I expect whoever he backs to win the job. There is clearly going to be a process and whoever he feels is the best candidate will get the job. I've got no problems with sumlin getting it if they are all interviewed and he wins. I just don't want to see another situation like Sherman where he is the only guy even called about the job.

Watching Sherman's press conference, I'm actually very disappointed this had to happen this way. He is the kind of coach I want my son to play for. A truly great man. His downfall as a coach is his game managing abilities. He would thrive in a bill parcells type roll.

I dont think you have to hire someone who runs a "SEC offense" or "SEC defense" Spurrier didnt and neither did Auburn. You have to bring in someone with a plan and has a good track record of recruiting to the style of his plan. SEC is known for defense, but high powered offenses can win here with enough defense.

Aggies cant even fire anyone correctly. Sent the guy recruiting and then call him in the kids driveway?

Seems to me that Byrne was forced to call him because it was leaked and he had no other options but to tell him immediately. He was positive towards Byrne throughout the presser. He's a great guy and he'll land a good job in the NFL I'm sure.

WETSU, that's a darn fine post. You're right on target, again.

He pulled off of a heck of a season last year. This year's blunders were just too much I guess. Do you think tamu will go after Joe Pa?

Obsession noted Minerva. Owned again. SMU folks probally will not like you masqurerading as a Pony. Man up, be bold be a Bear, no matter how many times you are banned.

Kirby Smart might be the guy. Given Mark Richt's success this year at Georgia, I believe he is safe for the next year or two as the HC at Georgia...has a great class of recruits coming in as well. Smart (I believe) has been the man most mentioned to be Richt's replacement at Georgia. He played DB at Georgia and is from Georgia. So kinda like a coach in waiting, he might be tired of waiting and may go to A&M - but beware, if that Georgia job opens, he might scoot on short notice after a few years in Aggieland.

I'm hearing that this will not be a rushed decision. President Loftin is more less making the hire seeing as how Byrne is no his way out of the door. Here are the four guys being looked at and some info on each of them. FWIW, I like smart or strong.

KEVIN SUMLIN

Currently:

Resume:

Career Record:

35-16 (.686)

High

The Bottom Line:

A former assistant under R.C. Slocum in College Station, Sumlin's profile has skyrocketed this season as the 11-0 Cougars fight for a BCS berth. Sumlin has helped build UH into the elite team in Conference USA and a potential Big East winner in the coming years in spite of the location of UH and the facilities it possesses. Sumlin has also been offered the head coaching job at Arizona State.

KIRBY SMART

Currently:

Resume:

High

The Bottom Line:

A true Nick Saban disciple, Smart has become one of the hottest assistants in the nation through his ability to develop a strong defense and his outstanding recruiting ability. He was the 2009 winner of the Broyles Award for the nation's top assistant, and coached the nation's top-rated defense in 2008.

CHARLIE STRONG

Currently:

Head Coach, Louisville

Resume:

Career Record:

14-11 (.560)

High

The Bottom Line:

It took 27 years in the business for Strong to get his first head coaching gig, but he's on the short list of several schools right now. While Louisville has been average during his tenure, he has made them strong defensively -- a hallmark that has carried over from his days at Florida, where he developed powerful defenses under Steve Spurrier, Ron Zook and Urban Meyer. He was a driving force behind UF having multiple top-5 recruiting classes, including Rivals' No. 1 class in 2007.

LARRY FEDORA

Currently:

Resume:

Run Game Coordinator/Perimeter Game Coordinator/Offensive Coordinator - Florida (2002-2002)

Career Record:

32-19 (.627)

High

The Bottom Line:

Best known to the Aggie faithful as the guy who helped revitalize Oklahoma State's offense, he's helped USM become one of Conference USA's best programs in his three years in Hattiesburg. A native of College Station with a brother coaching at Navasota High School, Fedora would unquestionably jump at the opportunity to take the A&M job.

This is the most comprehensive yet simple breakdown I have seen.. no other talk... i was thinking maybe Briles or Patterson might get in the mix?

I think Sumlin and fedora are both exciting canidates but strong and smart make the most sense. They have seen the SEC first hand and proven they can recruit and win in the conference with defense which is what it takes to win there. I mean look at Arkansas they have an average defense and an a great offense and they can't even win the west because Alabama and LSU's defenses are so good. I say hire a Defensive minded coach your not in the Big 12 anymore Aggs.

KEVIN SUMLIN

Currently:

Resume:

Career Record:

35-16 (.686)

High

The Bottom Line:

KIRBY SMART

Currently:

Resume:

High

The Bottom Line:

CHARLIE STRONG

Currently:

Head Coach, Louisville

Resume:

Career Record:

14-11 (.560)

High

The Bottom Line:

LARRY FEDORA

Currently:

Resume:

Career Record:

32-19 (.627)

High

The Bottom Line:

I think Sumlin and fedora are both exciting canidates but strong and smart make the most sense. They have seen the SEC first hand and proven they can recruit and win in the conference with defense which is what it takes to win there. I mean look at Arkansas they have an average defense and an a great offense and they can't even win the west because Alabama and LSU's defenses are so good. I say hire a Defensive minded coach your not in the Big 12 anymore Aggs.

KEVIN SUMLIN

Currently:

Resume:

Career Record:

35-16 (.686)

High

The Bottom Line:

KIRBY SMART

Currently:

Resume:

High

The Bottom Line:

CHARLIE STRONG

Currently:

Head Coach, Louisville

Resume:

Career Record:

14-11 (.560)

High

The Bottom Line:

LARRY FEDORA

Currently:

Resume:

Career Record:

32-19 (.627)

High

The Bottom Line: