nacogdoches AD QUITS

nacdragon07

NACOGDOCHES, Texas (KTRE) -

Nacogdoches High School Athletic Director and head soccer coach Farshid Niroumand is retiring from the school after 30 years after he said he was offered a job reassignment.

The coach was made athletic director two years ago, primarily due to his leadership skills on the soccer field, a position he kept as A.D. Now the thirty plus years of shaping the lives of students is ending over philosophical differences.

Superintendent Dr. Fred Hayes spoke to us from Tyler where he was for a family matter.

"The challenges I had with him had to deal with the management of people, specifically coaches that work with him and then the issue of response of consequences," said Hayes.

Administrators, board members, players and parents agree the coach adheres to a firm, strict discipline policy. A policy Niroumand was asked to write when he was hired as A.D. said if any player involved in a drug or alcohol related incident would be kicked off the team for a year.

"That's far above what most school districts do," said Hayes.

The coach abided by, but didn't agree with a new policy that gives students more chances.

NISD Board president Matt Rocco spoke to us from a Tyler hospital where he's recovering from back surgery. "Kids are kids. They're going to make mistakes. We're not in any means are we condoning or encouraging them to make these mistakes," said Rocco.

Rather than take a reassignment and enforce a policy he doesn't believe in Coach Farshid, as called by everyone who knows him, is retiring.

Just six weeks before the soccer season begins the coach said, "I love and care for the kids. I met with them and told them the basic reasons. Obviously, I feel in my heart and mind that I've shortchanged the kids, but I got to go with my conscience and principals." The coach plans to appear before the school board next week to explain his actions.

Soon afterwards, a Support Coach Farshid Facebook page surfaced. It's now followed by hundreds of supporters, including World Cup soccer champion Clint Dempsey.

"The rules applied to everybody. Not one person, not one group," said Jennifer Weems, a former NHS student and poster to the Facebook page. "He never made a disinclination and that's probably why he had so much respect."

Rocco objects to some of the postings saying they're based on rumors and not fact. "They're trashing Dr. Fred Hayes, who is working so very hard to rebuild this district toward something good."

Rocco confirms three senior athletes, including the son of a booster officer, were suspended for showing up drunk at a homecoming dance. He said prior to the event one of the three were guests at his home. Rocco said there was no alcohol at his house. The district's stand is kids should be given a chance to correct their mistakes.

"Throwing them in DAP (NISD correctional facility) where they do nothing is not placing kids in a chance where they can win. The new policy allows students to return to school after a suspension, be monitored for drug use and undergo a rehabilitation program.

Hayes choice for A.D. is Dr. Dennis Parker, a former athletic director and coach with two Texas state high school championships. He authored a character building curriculum for NISD.

"We wanted to keep Dr. Parker's expertise for NISD. We also wanted a place for Coach Fashid where he could contribute greatly, " said Rocco. The coach was asked to become director of health and physical education.

Coach Farshid voluntarily turned the keys over to Parker, but remains at work. His last call of duty in his words is "to take care of the kids." He's reserving hotel rooms, organizing meals and coaching the assistant who will fill a position held by a man respected for so many years.

In what appears to be an unrelated move, the school district has announced that head baseball coach Nicholus Wiggins is on paid administrative leave, pending an investigation into violations of school policy. He will be fired at the same meeting. Nacogdoches police are investigating matters that pertain to students and personnel.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like there are plenty of reasons why they have not had much athletic success, the sad part is that in today's world discipline is frowned upon, we wonder why kids act the way they do and it is because there are no consequences for their actions

Well as with any story, it sounds like there are two sides to this one as well. But just the fact that this issue has been brought to the forefront is a shame. But I am familiar with dr. Parkers work that was mentioned, and it is truly a huge step in the right direction.

Personally, yes I believe in second chances, but when kids can't stay away from drugs or alcohol long enough to complete a season, they don't deserve to be a part of the team, especially if they know the consequences up front. Keeping them out for a year would give them plenty of time to reflect on their mistakes. Giving countless chances does in fact condone their actions. But I'm not sure exactly what their "new policy" calls for, so I can't say whether or not it will be effective. I'm sure others would disagree, but that's my take on it...

Sounds like there are plenty of reasons why they have not had much athletic success, the sad part is that in today's world discipline is frowned upon, we wonder why kids act the way they do and it is because there are no consequences for their actions

the school board in nac is by far the worst in the state.

NISD Board president Matt Rocco spoke to us from a Tyler hospital where he's recovering from back surgery. "Kids are kids. They're going to make mistakes.

Pretty sad. In today's society, the belief is just enable those kids to keep making those mistakes. Eventually you'll see their names listed in the paper under indictments or the obituaries. But "kids are kids".

NISD Board president Matt Rocco spoke to us from a Tyler hospital where he's recovering from back surgery. "Kids are kids. They're going to make mistakes.

Pretty sad. In today's society, the belief is just enable those kids to keep making those mistakes. Eventually you'll see their names listed in the paper under indictments or the obituaries. But "kids are kids".

Since this whole argument pertains to drugs and alcohol, I'm assuming his comment about "mistakes" does too. It's too bad that life doesn't view it this way. In life and in particular the society we live in, just one "mistake" can cost you your life or life's liberties, but hey.... kids are kids, and they are going to accidentally do drugs and drink alcohol. right????? My kids will not go to Nac!!!

Well as with any story, it sounds like there are two sides to this one as well. But just the fact that this issue has been brought to the forefront is a shame. But I am familiar with dr. Parkers work that was mentioned, and it is truly a huge step in the right direction.

Personally, yes I believe in second chances, but when kids can't stay away from drugs or alcohol long enough to complete a season, they don't deserve to be a part of the team, especially if they know the consequences up front. Keeping them out for a year would give them plenty of time to reflect on their mistakes. Giving countless chances does in fact condone their actions. But I'm not sure exactly what their "new policy" calls for, so I can't say whether or not it will be effective. I'm sure others would disagree, but that's my take on it...

They will get a 2nd chance....."NEXT YEAR"

Agree!!!

It sounds like the Superintendent just came up with some type of excuse to get rid of the AD because he has a friend who needs a job. A booster officer's son gets suspended because of drugs and then all of a sudden the AD is reassigned. REALLY? So they were OK with the policy until one of the GOOD OLE BOYS were effected. The AD is reassigned and quits in the matter of a day or so and the Super ALREADY has his replacement?? This is why Nac will never be good at anything. They just need to tear down the school and build another chicken plant. Thats where they are all going to end up anyway with the NEW drug policy that has no consequences.

Hayes and Rocco are so typical of the spineless, gutless, and determintal administrators who have ruined public education. The are nothing more than government beaurocrats who do the bidding of the behind the scences "lobbyist." They have no honor. Hayes now has a school that probably does what most schools in Texas do, be nothing more than glorified babysitters. Nac. you are a disgrace to education.

They will get a 2nd chance....."NEXT YEAR"

for sure. it should be that way. and if they commit this "mistake" during their senior year, then they obviously never learned their lesson the previous years, and don't deserve to be on the fields or courts with their classmates.

Dr. Hayes is a stand up guy. He is very sharp and does what is right for kids. I know I am going to be the odd man out of this one way conversation, but why don't some of you share your schools policy on here.

Use this scenario: 17 year old gets issued MIP for being at a party where alcohol was available. 17 year old was not drinking, but had just walked in the door when the cops arrived right behind him. A couple of other athletes were there as well, but had been there for an hour or two longer. They were also served MIP's.

Coach Tom Foolery has copies of the tickets from local law enforcement proving the allegations. What are his schools policies????? Do his policies allow for flexibility? Does the student who says he wasn't drinking deserve any lesser punishment? May sound easy to all of you Judge Roy Beans, but think about your responses, and if it were your kid, and are there any legalities involved?

It is easy for all of you to throw the Dr. Hayes under the bus, but I am just curious as to your schools policy? Do you even know? I bet that there are not many that suspend for an ENTIRE year?

Dr. Hayes is a stand up guy. He is very sharp and does what is right for kids. I know I am going to be the odd man out of this one way conversation, but why don't some of you share your schools policy on here.

Use this scenario: 17 year old gets issued MIP for being at a party where alcohol was available. 17 year old was not drinking, but had just walked in the door when the cops arrived right behind him. A couple of other athletes were there as well, but had been there for an hour or two longer. They were also served MIP's.

Coach Tom Foolery has copies of the tickets from local law enforcement proving the allegations. What are his schools policies????? Do his policies allow for flexibility? Does the student who says he wasn't drinking deserve any lesser punishment? May sound easy to all of you Judge Roy Beans, but think about your responses, and if it were your kid, and are there any legalities involved?

It is easy for all of you to throw the Dr. Hayes under the bus, but I am just curious as to your schools policy? Do you even know? I bet that there are not many that suspend for an ENTIRE year?

i see where you're coming from. but the ones that actually were guilty should have the guts to stand up for the kid that was innocent in the matter, and not drag him down with them. this would be where flexibility would have to be a factor though, as you mentioned. and i realize not ALL sitatuions are alike...

When this policy was put into place for the Nacogdoches ISD Athletic Policy, was the Superintendent and Head Coaches of all sports aware of it? Did they sign off on it at the time? If the answer is yes, and they do not agree with it, then why wait until it comes into play to deem it too harsh? I will not argue the policy as being appropriate or too harsh, but I do think the situation was handled improperly if they knew the consequences for this particular scenario. When rules and guidelines are established and set in action, then it is always bad diplomacy to change mid-stream to fit a particular player or group of players. To me if they adopted the policy then it should have been adhered to the letter and reviewed or amended it at the close of the 2012 school year. These situations will always be second guessed, but I respect the Athletic Director for not backing down for what was written in their Athletic Code of Conduct.

Administrators have a Student Code of Conduct and / or an Athletic Code of Conduct to follow that is voted on by the Board at the beginning of each school year. It would be interesting to know when the policy "changed ". It would take Board action for the new Supt. to change policy in mid-year. I know many of the Board members and I'm not sure they were all behind this decision, maybe only four, and that is all it takes. But I do know one that found out about it " after the fact".

I have known Coach Niromaund for many, many years. His life story is almost extrardinary as the man himself. You will not find a better, person, man, mentor or Coach.

I know that he is a " Pillar " of the community and most importantly, Nacogdoches High School. When you start tearing down " pillars ", things around it begin to crumble.

First of all, I don't condone minors drinking or using drugs under any circumstances and I agree that they should be punished. Suspended from sports for a full year is rather harsh especially for a first offense. What bothers me is the fact that many who are commenting on here act like they've never done anything like that. Believe it or not kids do deserve second chances.

The kids are getting a second chance under the old AD's policy. Please tell me where his policy says that the student will be removed from the program forever? It doesn't, which totally discredits your post.

It sounds like the Superintendent just came up with some type of excuse to get rid of the AD because he has a friend who needs a job. A booster officer's son gets suspended because of drugs and then all of a sudden the AD is reassigned. REALLY? So they were OK with the policy until one of the GOOD OLE BOYS were effected. The AD is reassigned and quits in the matter of a day or so and the Super ALREADY has his replacement?? This is why Nac will never be good at anything. They just need to tear down the school and build another chicken plant. Thats where they are all going to end up anyway with the NEW drug policy that has no consequences.

BINGO - Key information in this entire incident include "drunk kid was at the School Board President's house" and "booster officer's son was involved."

They wanted to make sure the AD - past and future - know who runs the show.

NACOGDOCHES, Texas (KTRE) -

Rocco confirms three senior athletes, including the son of a booster officer, were suspended for showing up drunk at a homecoming dance. He said prior to the event one of the three were guests at his home. Rocco said there was no alcohol at his house. The district's stand is kids should be given a chance to correct their mistakes.

Dad to School Board Pres Rocco "You better get this fixed Matt or we will tell authorities where the liquor came from!"

Rocco to Dad "I got it covered Dad - Little Johnny will be on the field next year, trust me."