nacogdoches AD QUITS

nacdragon07

I never said they would be kicked off forever I said for the year. In the case of a senior it would be forever. Banning them for a full year is not giving them much of a chance to redeem themselves for making a stupid mistake. So I believe your post is totally discredited since you can't comprehend what I wrote

You said kids deserve a second chance meaning that the old policy does not give them a second chance...it doesn't matter if that second chance is a year letter....that is still a second chance. A senior should know better. If they are that age and they still don't know right from wrong they deserve to be removed because they are worthless.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you would have me to believe that you were perfect as a senior. I'm sure that there are numerous "worthless" people as you call them that went on to do great things. Suspending them from sports for 30 days would be a proper punishment but taking something away for a full year is not giving them a second chance. Sports is what most of these kids live for and if it is taken away from them for such a long period of time then they are more likely to fall further down the rabbit hole

They are worthless to their program, not themselves. 30 days suspension might as well be a full year. Missing a full 30 days of a football season or basketball or baseball? When they come back they will need a few weeks to get back in shape....by then the season is over. Worthless to your team.

NACOGDOCHES, Texas (KTRE) -

Rocco confirms three senior athletes, including the son of a booster officer, were suspended for showing up drunk at a homecoming dance. He said prior to the event one of the three were guests at his home. Rocco said there was no alcohol at his house. The district's stand is kids should be given a chance to correct their mistakes.

Drinking is one thing but showing up DRUNK at a school function is another. If the kids want to drink at home with their friends out of sight out of mind then thats on the kid and the kid's parents, but making a public appearance with school personnel present is stupid. If I witnessed one of my players "under the influence," they would be done regardless of what the policy was.

Dr. Hayes is a stand up guy. He is very sharp and does what is right for kids. I know I am going to be the odd man out of this one way conversation, but why don't some of you share your schools policy on here.

Use this scenario: 17 year old gets issued MIP for being at a party where alcohol was available. 17 year old was not drinking, but had just walked in the door when the cops arrived right behind him. A couple of other athletes were there as well, but had been there for an hour or two longer. They were also served MIP's.

Coach Tom Foolery has copies of the tickets from local law enforcement proving the allegations. What are his schools policies????? Do his policies allow for flexibility? Does the student who says he wasn't drinking deserve any lesser punishment? May sound easy to all of you Judge Roy Beans, but think about your responses, and if it were your kid, and are there any legalities involved?

It is easy for all of you to throw the Dr. Hayes under the bus, but I am just curious as to your schools policy? Do you even know? I bet that there are not many that suspend for an ENTIRE year?

I knew Fred when he and his family was in Tyler. Went to church with them and you are right, he is a stand up guy and typically has the kids interest at the top of his list; however, based on everything I've heard I recognize a coach that is doing everything he can to get kids to open their eyes and see the consequences of what drugs and alcohol will do to them not only in the present but also the future. It can, will, and often does ruin their lives and the lives of others. That calls for some significant punishment if you break the rules. Someone has to stand up and say this is enough. If the parents won't parent then you live by the rules I set forth. I think the AD/Coach has it exactly right. You get caught doing things that are going to harm you and potentially others then you are going to pay the price.

First of all, I don't condone minors drinking or using drugs under any circumstances and I agree that they should be punished. Suspended from sports for a full year is rather harsh especially for a first offense. What bothers me is the fact that many who are commenting on here act like they've never done anything like that. Believe it or not kids do deserve second chances.

They also deserve to know that making serious decisions gain serious consequences when the decision is wrong and breaks rules that they are knowledgeable of.

This situation goes beyond the arena of athletics, as outlined by the Texas Education Code of Conduct concerning students under the influence of drugs or alcohol at a school sponsored activity. These guidelines are set up for equality of punishment for "ALL" students and never mentions the word athlete in it's writing. They are a student first and an athlete second, would we be hearing about this if it involved a random student without certain connections? The answer is no. I am also curious to know if Nacogdoches Athletic Department has the students and parents sign a Code of Conduct acknowledging consequences for particular actions. If this document is signed by athlete and parents, then they made their bed and need to lie in it.

So you would have me to believe that you were perfect as a senior. I'm sure that there are numerous "worthless" people as you call them that went on to do great things. Suspending them from sports for 30 days would be a proper punishment but taking something away for a full year is not giving them a second chance. Sports is what most of these kids live for and if it is taken away from them for such a long period of time then they are more likely to fall further down the rabbit hole

What if they do this in the off season. It is like no pass no play, some kids put more effort during the season to stay eligible and when the season is over the grades drop. Kid plays football only and in Jan. gets caught. What good is the 30 days. He is not missing anything. The kids need to think of the consequences year around and not just during the season.

I don't condone drug or alcohol abuse in any way, shape, or form....I also think that guidelines should be in the Athletic Code of Conduct. But I also am dang glad that my coaches didn't look at things as harshly as you guys and this policy does. Because I would probably never became the man I am today if I would've been suspended for a year for drinking. I was caught and punished pretty harshly in high school, and the fact that I still got to be around the team, the coaches, and the guidance that gave me it allowed me to overcome my mistake and use it as a growing experience.

That is why an AD should always add this to the Code of Conduct: "Punishment varies with the severity of the infraction." Nothing is black and white. Repeated offenders need stricter consequences. First time offenders need harsh, but not career-ending consequences. I think the problem comes when you write yourself into a virtual corner and have no way out but to enforce an unfair rule in a situation that wasn't accounted for in the first place.

enforce an unfair rule in a situation that wasn't accounted for in the first place.

The AD's policies has to be approved by his immediate supervisor which would be the Superintendent and in most districts also the board. Therefore the rule was accounted for. It was never a problem until the board president was allowing students to drink at his house.

If it's what these kids "live for" and is so important to them, why throw their future of playing in limbo by making a bad decision? I think this has potential to be a case of, "Dad and the Superintendent said we could drink at the house then THEY would drive us to the dance so we wouldn't drink and drive. Why are we being punished if they said we could?" Then the AD stuck to his guns/beliefs and I admire him for that, but the Sup and booster officer didn't want it to go down like that. Booster tells Sup he will not donate again unless it's fixed.

Bad situation all around and I'm sure there's multiple sides to the story. I still admire the AD for doing what he did.

In what appears to be an unrelated move, the school district has announced that head baseball coach Nicholus Wiggins is on paid administrative leave, pending an investigation into violations of school policy. He will be fired at the same meeting. Nacogdoches police are investigating matters that pertain to students and personnel.

What happen to the baseball coach?

Highly unusual for a Superintendent and a School Board President to be so open with school personnel issues.

thats true. while i was reading the article, i just kept waiting to read "we are not at liberty to discuss this matter in any more detail," or something to that effect. and after i finished reading it, i would think the superintendent and school board president would have WANTED to keep this under wraps...

I honestly believe that this is a big enough story to be on CNN and maybe even ESPN. This has nothing to do with people's opinion about the policy, just the fact that everyone was fine with the policy that was in place until it personally effected the board president and the booster's sun. How can the policy be OK one minute and then all of a sudden it's not OK the next? How can you already have a public recommendation for a new AD when the old AD as not even officially resigned?

Athletics is a privelege, not a right.

Whether we agree with the rule or not, the athletes knew about the rule prior to drinking and chose to ignore it knowing what the consequences were. I would be willing to bet that this has happened to other athletes at NHS but because their parents weren't influential nothing was ever done.

And should we be teaching young people that they always deserve a second chance for the mistakes they make.

"I know I got drunk and crashed into your son's car and killed him. It was my first time though . . . I deserve a second chance."

These clowns keep opening up their mouths and stupid stuff keeps coming out:

"Let's see what happens when a kid that doesn't have a support base gets in trouble are they going to throw the book at them and say he's not no good and throw them in DAC," Rocco said.

REALLY? You are the board president and you don't even know how to speak?? It sounds like he must have had one too many to drink before he did the interview.

Hayes said, "A revised policy gives a student multiple chances to play straight with the rules."

Multiple chances??? REALLY?

This statement right here sums it all up: "Three students from influential families were the first to be punished under the new policy."

This is getting more and more ridiculous by the day.

These clowns keep opening up their mouths and stupid stuff keeps coming out:

"Let's see what happens when a kid that doesn't have a support base gets in trouble are they going to throw the book at them and say he's not no good and throw them in DAC," Rocco said.

REALLY? You are the board president and you don't even know how to speak?? It sounds like he must have had one too many to drink before he did the interview.

Hayes said, "A revised policy gives a student multiple chances to play straight with the rules."

Multiple chances??? REALLY?

This statement right here sums it all up: "Three students from influential families were the first to be punished under the new policy."

This is getting more and more ridiculous by the day.

yea that last quote tells me that they made the new policy simply to accomodate these three students from influential families...

We are witness to the reason public education in America is a joke today. Life may give you multiple chances, it may not. You cannot legislate that, trying to do so only enforces more bad decisions. The greatest teacher of experience is the accountability we are held to, and when adults, administrators, who should know better try to run interference and lessen the natural accountability that comes with decision makeing, you get what we see daily.

To those that say, athletics are what many of these kids live for, well then shame on us. High schools with million dollar stadiums, athletes getting new uniforms just for the playoffs, real teachers losing jobs while every resource is given to athletics. Just look at how out of balance sports has become in this nation. We have players, people who play basketball, baseball, football for a living, that make millions of dollars for playing a game, and they go on strike for more money. Disgusting. Well if we allow them to live for this "game" we are letting them set themselves up for failure. Athletics should be nothing more than an additive for real life. Unless we are in the job of teaching kids to strive for the statistically unobtainable. So Screaming Eagle, your reasons and justifications are one of the main "ideas" that lead to such nonsense. No accounability. What kids live for, give me a break. The job of parents and teachers is to guide young kids to what life requires and how to make good decisions.

As for it being a career ending decision or whatever Coach H is trying to say, well for 98% of high school athletes they will not make careers out of sports. To those that might, just might, have the skills to do so, well just look at the ones who did make it, and see how their decisions are. Look at the news daily and see how some babied, pampered, and irresponsible "athlete" is throwing a fit. Even those who make it should have been given better decision making skills. Bottom line, in this out of wack nation, if he can help us win, that is all that matters, being a good person, doesn't matter. Win baby win. And we wonder why things are so messed up.

Ask yourself this, why would one man, doing what is right, standing up for his beliefs, standing on principle and values make the news? Because very few do that today and when we have one try, you have idiot administrators, further breaking down and devaluing values and standards. Godd job Hayes/Rocco. Classy. This shouldn't even make news, it should be expected that every teacher has such high standards.

Sorry for the long rant. Hard to witness such lack of common sense.

We are witness to the reason public education in America is a joke today. Life may give you multiple chances, it may not. You cannot legislate that, trying to do so only enforces more bad decisions. The greatest teacher of experience is the accountability we are held to, and when adults, administrators, who should know better try to run interference and lessen the natural accountability that comes with decision makeing, you get what we see daily.

To those that say, athletics are what many of these kids live for, well then shame on us. High schools with million dollar stadiums, athletes getting new uniforms just for the playoffs, real teachers losing jobs while every resource is given to athletics. Just look at how out of balance sports has become in this nation. We have players, people who play basketball, baseball, football for a living, that make millions of dollars for playing a game, and they go on strike for more money. Disgusting. Well if we allow them to live for this "game" we are letting them set themselves up for failure. Athletics should be nothing more than an additive for real life. Unless we are in the job of teaching kids to strive for the statistically unobtainable. So Screaming Eagle, your reasons and justifications are one of the main "ideas" that lead to such nonsense. No accounability. What kids live for, give me a break. The job of parents and teachers is to guide young kids to what life requires and how to make good decisions.

As for it being a career ending decision or whatever Coach H is trying to say, well for 98% of high school athletes they will not make careers out of sports. To those that might, just might, have the skills to do so, well just look at the ones who did make it, and see how their decisions are. Look at the news daily and see how some babied, pampered, and irresponsible "athlete" is throwing a fit. Even those who make it should have been given better decision making skills. Bottom line, in this out of wack nation, if he can help us win, that is all that matters, being a good person, doesn't matter. Win baby win. And we wonder why things are so messed up.

Ask yourself this, why would one man, doing what is right, standing up for his beliefs, standing on principle and values make the news? Because very few do that today and when we have one try, you have idiot administrators, further breaking down and devaluing values and standards. Godd job Hayes/Rocco. Classy. This shouldn't even make news, it should be expected that every teacher has such high standards.

GREAT post!

What do you think ? Locutus for school board!

People should not be allowed to run for school board if they have kids in school......I have been in this business for a long time, and I have seen some fine, educated,and respected people turn to "goof ####" when they get on the school board. I have seen doctors, lawyers, and other "educated" professionals make some of the most ignorant comments and decisions once they are in a position of power and their kids are involved. It is human nature to protect your own, and in this case, that parental instict seems to have went too far. The best board members I have been involved with over my career have been people who didn't have children in school, and didn't let their emotions and parental instinct get in the way of making intelligent decisions. It's not an easy job, but when you have children involved, it gets a whole lot tougher. I, as well as most educators, have story upon story about the kind of situation that is mentioned above. Just food for thought........

GAME, SET, MATCH.

We have players, people who play basketball, baseball, football for a living, that make millions of dollars for playing a game, and they go on strike for more money. Disgusting.

They were locked out, actually, in order to leverage them into taking less money than they were previously getting.