Dist. 20- 2A Baseball.

Yellowjackets

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did they come out of la too?

I assume you are talking about the guys playing basketball that moved over from Shreveport, since this is their first year here and they played a little football so I assume they can play a little baseball to, but we will see.

I assume you are talking about the guys playing basketball that moved over from Shreveport, since this is their first year here and they played a little football so I assume they can play a little baseball to, but we will see.

Not to sure about all that.

Seen plenty of good footballers struggle in baseball.. But also have seen some that excelled in both.

I haven't followed Waskom Baseball in years but Waskom has not competed well in baseball since their little league and pony league shut down. There is talk of starting a dixie league in Waskom which would be good, but without that early training Waskom has not produced many good baseball players and if you don't play baseball in your early years you are not going to be very good just walking out on the diamond and picking up a glove.

This district is one that is hard to decide.. You have Harleton who did lose their top 2 pitchers and centerfielder and power hitters but they do have Coach Llyod who always finds a way to reload. Waskom is always a scrappy team and can beat anyone on any given night. Tatum has the Broussard kid who was the offensive player of the year this year and a couple of young guys who should be better with a year and playoff series under their belt. Elysian Fields was pretty young last year and they are well coached and should be solid team. The Rams of Joaquin have a very good team with alot of young power arms and put the ball in play and force you to play solid D. Then there is Jefferson who last year battled Joaquin and Tatum for 2nd/3rd. This year they their entire infield and 2 outfielders, they have 3 good arms. This district should be a great one to watch over the year and the young district of last year is now growing and producing good players. Good Luck to all and who is everyone's frist scrimmage.

Jefferson vs. Ore City

This district is one that is hard to decide.. You have Harleton who did lose their top 2 pitchers and centerfielder and power hitters but they do have Coach Llyod who always finds a way to reload. Waskom is always a scrappy team and can beat anyone on any given night. Tatum has the Broussard kid who was the offensive player of the year this year and a couple of young guys who should be better with a year and playoff series under their belt. Elysian Fields was pretty young last year and they are well coached and should be solid team. The Rams of Joaquin have a very good team with alot of young power arms and put the ball in play and force you to play solid D. Then there is Jefferson who last year battled Joaquin and Tatum for 2nd/3rd. This year they their entire infield and 2 outfielders, they have 3 good arms. This district should be a great one to watch over the year and the young district of last year is now growing and producing good players. Good Luck to all and who is everyone's frist scrimmage.

Jefferson vs. Ore City

Tatum's first scrimmage is with Sabine.

I haven't followed Waskom Baseball in years but Waskom has not competed well in baseball since their little league and pony league shut down. There is talk of starting a dixie league in Waskom which would be good, but without that early training Waskom has not produced many good baseball players and if you don't play baseball in your early years you are not going to be very good just walking out on the diamond and picking up a glove.

I have been involved in Marshall Dixie baseball since EF shut down thier Dixie league that played in Carthage. Waskom has quite a few players that have been playing in Marshall. I know they should have a pretty decent group of freshman this year. A lot of the Marshall all-stars were from Waskom & EF.

Jefferson vs. Ore City

First scrimmage White Oak @ Elysian Fields on Feb. 7

I have been involved in Marshall Dixie baseball since EF shut down thier Dixie league that played in Carthage. Waskom has quite a few players that have been playing in Marshall. I know they should have a pretty decent group of freshman this year. A lot of the Marshall all-stars were from Waskom & EF.

I didn't know that, I knew of one or two boys that played in Marshall, if would be good in my view if Waskom & EF could start their own dixie league three teams from EF and three teams from Waskom if they could put together that many who would want to play. In the old days Waskom had three little teams its self, one from EF from Bethany and one from Greenwood to make up 6 teams. Dixie League I think is older boys. I don't know how many pony league teams there was but I think 4. I think kids now days have other actives like the INTERNET and game stations where they don't have to move so much so the interest is not what it was.

I didn't know that, I knew of one or two boys that played in Marshall, if would be good in my view if Waskom & EF could start their own dixie league three teams from EF and three teams from Waskom if they could put together that many who would want to play. In the old days Waskom had three little teams its self, one from EF from Bethany and one from Greenwood to make up 6 teams. Dixie League I think is older boys. I don't know how many pony league teams there was but I think 4. I think kids now days have other actives like the INTERNET and game stations where they don't have to move so much so the interest is not what it was.

Carthage used to allow EF to bring teams to play in thier Dixie league, for some reason they stopped. Marshall wanted everyone to go into a league wide draft so that ended EF's Dixie league. Marshall has good facilities and allows area kids to paticipate. I know they had kids from Tatum, EF, Waskom, Harleton, and Jefferson, etc. Seems like a lot of kids quit playing baseball (and football) when they go into the 9th grade for some reason. All I can think of is that it starts getting a lot more serious and a lot of kids nowadays won't make that comentment. I agree W74, I think all the electronic's certainly have a lot to do with it, kids are not near as active as they used to be.

Call this one a homer pick if you want, but here goes:

1. Joaquin, they only have to replace the catcher and 3rd baseman, and they have two sophomores who may be better than the ones who graduated.

2. Harleton, always a solid program with a good coach, they are tough to beat.

3. Tatum, great youth league program brings plenty of talent to the high school program.

4. Jefferson

5. EF

6. Waskom

Also, Joaquin has upgraded their facilities at the baseball/ softball park. Completely replaced the grass on the baseball field and releveled the infield. Should eliminate all of those weird hops!

Call this one a homer pick if you want, but here goes:

1. Joaquin, they only have to replace the catcher and 3rd baseman, and they have two sophomores who may be better than the ones who graduated.

2. Harleton, always a solid program with a good coach, they are tough to beat.

3. Tatum, great youth league program brings plenty of talent to the high school program.

4. Jefferson

5. EF

6. Waskom

Also, Joaquin has upgraded their facilities at the baseball/ softball park. Completely replaced the grass on the baseball field and releveled the infield. Should eliminate all of those weird hops!

Joaquin will only have to replace the catcher, a RF and a DH who hit for that RF. So they return 7 of their 9 bats and all of their pitching from last year. Does anyone know what Harleton will have to throw for them this year? I also think that EF will be in a playoff spot by the end of the year, to much tradition, experience, and good coaching not to.

My picks are:

1. Joaquin- They have 7 of 9 coming back and I suspect Vaughn, Lawson and Yates will be able to keep runs off the board when there on the hill. Feel like Lawson and Vaughn will also have big years at the plate. Also have a couple of very athletic kids coming out that can help the rams a good bit who did not play last year.

2. EF - Have everybody coming back, from a team that was really close to getting over the hump last season.

3. Harleton - Have a ton of tradition and coach will find a way for them to pull out W's. Could move up or down from this spot depending on how good their pitching turns out to be.

4. Jefferson - Also return a lot and were right on the edge of getting in.

5. Tatum - Have playoff experience and got extremely hot the 2nd half of district, but feel they will have to be more consistent throughout district to get back in this year. Which I think they are very capable of doing so.

6. Waskom - Young, but I can see them pulling off some costly upsets.

Can see this district coming down once again to some coin flips and playoff games to get back into the playoffs.

Joaquin will only have to replace the catcher, a RF and a DH who hit for that RF. So they return 7 of their 9 bats and all of their pitching from last year. Does anyone know what Harleton will have to throw for them this year? I also think that EF will be in a playoff spot by the end of the year, to much tradition, experience, and good coaching not to.

My picks are:

1. Joaquin- They have 7 of 9 coming back and I suspect Vaughn, Lawson and Yates will be able to keep runs off the board when there on the hill. Feel like Lawson and Vaughn will also have big years at the plate. Also have a couple of very athletic kids coming out that can help the rams a good bit who did not play last year.

2. EF - Have everybody coming back, from a team that was really close to getting over the hump last season.

3. Harleton - Have a ton of tradition and coach will find a way for them to pull out W's. Could move up or down from this spot depending on how good their pitching turns out to be.

4. Jefferson - Also return a lot and were right on the edge of getting in.

5. Tatum - Have playoff experience and got extremely hot the 2nd half of district, but feel they will have to be more consistent throughout district to get back in this year. Which I think they are very capable of doing so.

6. Waskom - Young, but I can see them pulling off some costly upsets.

Can see this district coming down once again to some coin flips and playoff games to get back into the playoffs.

Well done, for a first post I would say you hit it outa tha park. lol.

Overview of Jefferson is as follows:

Finished tied for 2nd in the district last year and should have been in the playoffs with a weird and explosive offensive output from Tatum in the last at bat which I feel kindled the Eagle fire last year. Jefferson losses 2nd, CF, and LF. Lost 1 pitcher that most thought was the ace but ended up being injured and not a factor in the end. They return the entire infield and the ace of the staff as well as 2 others that are powerful which brings alot of promise to the mound. Their offense is one with speed through out the line up lead off hitter, who hit .450 last year with 6 others who were in the line up through out the year. I feel that at the end district you might hear these names Bode, Fratangelo, Clements, Varnell along with Broussard of Tatum, and Vaughn, Lawson, Yates, of Joaquin, Llyod, and the catcher from Harleton, the SS and P from EF. This district can be one again that comes down to the last game.

Prediction: Any of the 1st three could be flipped.

1. Jefferson- (Homer Pick)

2. Joaquin

3. Harleton

4. EF

5. Tatum

6. Waskom

I feel that at the end district you might hear these names Bode, Fratangelo, Clements, Varnell along with Broussard of Tatum, and Vaughn, Lawson, Yates, of Joaquin, Llyod, and the catcher from Harleton, the SS and P from EF.

Add Gage Belrose in there with the names from Joaquin. Kid is an excellent athlete and he's been playing on select tournament teams since he was 8. He's a sophomore.