USC question...

WETSU

I've been looking into USC being a legit contender for the MNC next year and it got me thinking. They finished the season at 10-2 this year and bring back 19 of 22 starters including probably the Heisman favorite in Barkley.

What I was found is that this team looked scary good at times but young and also had motivation issues in some games.

My question is, does entering a season knowing you have no shot at a conference title or MNC because of violations make it harder to "get up" for games? How much could that be a factor in USC and their results the last 2 seasons?

My question is, does entering a season knowing you have no shot at a conference title or MNC because of violations make it harder to "get up" for games? How much could that be a factor in USC and their results the last 2 seasons?

Having played sports all my life, if you have any self respect, it should be a factor. Regardless of what limitations, no athlete likes to lose. So my opinion, a team like USC didn't lose games because they didn't "get up." Perhaps it was adjusting to a new coach, Lane is no Pete.

I just don't think someone goes to USC if they aren't a competitor.

Having played sports all my life, if you have any self respect, it should be a factor. Regardless of what limitations, no athlete likes to lose. So my opinion, a team like USC didn't lose games because they didn't "get up." Perhaps it was adjusting to a new coach, Lane is no Pete.

I just don't think someone goes to USC if they aren't a competitor.

I completely agree with what your saying, but it's like a team that gets knocked out of the playoff picture with 2-3 games left in district play... I've seen decent teams lose to far worse teams because their season was in a way over. The players just weren't as motivated. Im not saying this was the only reason for USC losses this year, I just thought it could have been a factor. I think that some athletes don't have the drive others do despite having the talent all these guys have. It's hard to stay focused at times when you don't have that championship hopes to work towards. It's like working for free for a year...

I'm not saying that I think it's right or agree it should be happening, I just thought this would be a good debate question.

I completely agree with what your saying, but it's like a team that gets knocked out of the playoff picture with 2-3 games left in district play... I've seen decent teams lose to far worse teams because their season was in a way over. The players just weren't as motivated.

I can agree with that, but like A&M did to Texas so many times in the Big 12 south, even if you can't advance yourself, it's an accomplishment to keep your rivals from advancing.

I can agree with that, but like A&M did to Texas so many times in the Big 12 south, even if you can't advance yourself, it's an accomplishment to keep your rivals from advancing.

I can see the logic in that theory as well... USC beat ucla like 49-0 this year lol. Kept ucla out of a bowl.

It's also different when playing at the big time collegiate level. If you're starting at USC, you have a chance to play in the NFL = $$$/Career. High school is not the case. The studs that get the full scholarships will still get the offers whereas FBS college players can always improve or drop their value. RGIII is a perfect example. Very few people outstide of Waco, TX ever saw RGIII winning a Heismen Trophy. Now he will be a Top pick in the NFL draft after taking some meaningless beatings at Baylor earlier in his career.

The thread about the combine is basically the same thing. We all know about the Top 10/15 guys, but it's the 2nd round and up players busting their butts at the combine to make some noise. Yes, you can hurt your draft stock at the combine, but not a whole lot. Not if you had a great season. What you can do is go from a nobody to a draft pick or move up the boards quickly with showing of speed and power.

It was 50-0. I think USC will win the NC next year, not just because I'm a huge SC fan, but because they all have experience. The secondary was the worst part of the team last year and they all return next year including the back-ups. They also add the number 1 juco corner in the nation. Hopefully this time next year I will be wearing an SC national championship shirt.

It was 50-0. I think USC will win the NC next year, not just because I'm a huge SC fan, but because they all have experience. The secondary was the worst part of the team last year and they all return next year including the back-ups. They also add the number 1 juco corner in the nation. Hopefully this time next year I will be wearing an SC national championship shirt.

I don't see USC winning it all next yr. The loss of scholarships is going to catch up to you with limited depth at different positions. Good players are leaving left and right from USC also. I know your talented but your not that talented that its not going to affect you on the field.