Bearcat AD

WorkOx51

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes me think ole Doomer might know more than some give him credit. I wish the new HC/AD good luck and hope that he can get things going in a positive direction.

+10

Don't sell Doomer short, it's those who are too immature or too dumb to understand what he is saying that throw rocks.

+10

Don't sell Doomer short, it's those who are too immature or too dumb to understand what he is saying that throw rocks.

Not sure why people believe folks from "across the river" (DEADWOOD) are uneduacated, brainless, yoyos??? True Doomer has his own unique way of spelling. I figured it was his "socagee" shorthand he used for texting. I think people don't really understand the true history of those folks from "across the river".

Prior to the World War II, which many recognized as inevitable, Dwight D. Eisenhower and George Patton established headquarters in Deadwood and ran exercises in the nearby Sabine River bottoms. In the days of World War II, several local young men were called to duty.

In its heyday, Deadwood supported 3 general stores, a café, a barber shop and a dance hall. However, after World War II, returning service men trained under the GI Bill, gave up farming for more lucrative city jobs. Also, at this time, the local cotton crops were hit hard by the boll weevil infestation and Deadwood shrunk in population. Today, a popular sign states that Deadwood has 108 happy people—and one old grouch.

(Not for sure who the old grouch is!)

Their community has a very rich history and they are a very close group of neighbors always willing to help one another. Because they can't have a pizza delieverd to their house has nothing to do with their intelligence!!! Some of the smartest people I have ever known have come from "across the river".

Stop the hate....let me try to help! Since we are having a hard time with our attempts maybe the hiring process should consist of the questions on the issues that are important such as what we don't need in a AD/HC! 1. Failing to plan, or poor planning. It is imperative to set up timelines and use "To Do Lists." The development of organizational skills is essential. 2. Procrastinating. Putting off difficult or unpleasant tasks while deadlines are approaching. 3. Lacking professional courtesy. Make sure that you return phone and e-mail messages. 4. Taking action before thinking things through. Always consider alternatives and potential outcomes. 5. Failing to keep your word. If you promise to do something, do it. Trust and respect are based upon your ability to follow through. 6. Thinking that you have all of the answers. There will always be something new to learn. 7. Being afraid or too stubborn to ask for help. 8. Trying to be liked. Someone will usually be unhappy with some or many of our decisions. 9. Assuming that everyone understands. When elucidating a responsibility or reasons surrounding a decision. 10. Worrying about things that are out of your control. Find out if these issues are a possibility when hiring AD that is my advice. And advice for our new applicants on AD/HC position. One very important question you should never forget to ask while interviewing.......don't forget to ask the ones hiring......ARE YOU HAPPY? Hope this helps men!

Should not be long before it is announced. The suspense is killing me. If we are taking beats, put me down for $100 on the Carthage Coach.

Yall should get a side bet going.......some bet on who will be announced as the new AD and some can bet on the possiblitity of the board announcing that the decision will be announced at a later date.......would it surprise anyone?

I'll take that bet and raise you another $100. I'm going with door number 4. An un-named finalist is lifted from the pile and offered the job. The other would just be to easy.

Maybe instead of wagering on who gets, we should bet on who is the next one to turn it down.

Should not be long before it is announced. The suspense is killing me. If we are taking beats, put me down for $100 on the Carthage Coach.

Im gowin with LilEagle own this call, i bet $100 wortha cornshyne on Koach ®!

Iam aslo wilin to call playz frum the trak for any hc/ad who needz me.Tru storie.

BISD Board to consider three remaining candidates todayBy John KruegerOnline EditorFriday, May 11, 2012beckvillesportslogoleadweb.jpg?1336742896BECKVILLE, Tx - After being offered the job of Beckville ISD Director of Athletics and head football coach, Aubrey High School offensive coordinator and defensive backs coach Mike Segleski, Jr. verbally committed to the dual position on April 27 and then had a change of heart and elected not to show up for work on Monday.

After receiving a short email from Segleski on Monday morning telling him that he had changed his mind, Beckville Superintendent of Schools Devin Tate contacted his Board of Trustees and scheduled another meeting, which will be held today at 12-noon.

Tate said, in all likelihood, the Board will consider a candidate from the remaining three individuals that they interviewed on April 24 and 26. Those were the final candidates the district site-based committee referred to BISD leaders after interviewing 11 candidates they had previously brought to campus.

Tate said the Board could offer the job to one of the remaining candidates at today's meeting or possibly wait until Monday night's regularly scheduled monthly meeting, which will be held at the district's administration building at 6:30 p.m.

The other three finalists for the position, in addition to Segleski, included Carthage's Eric Robinson, Grand Saline's Mike Ludlow and Callisburg's Kevin Hayes.

Tate also said it's possible the Board of Trustees could not choose any of the three finalists and go in another direction. He said that would be a decision that would be up to the Board.

The position of Athletics Director and head football coach became vacant last month when Jason Ballenger resigned. After posting the position, the site-based committee interviewed 11 of the top candidates for the job and referred four of them to the district's Board, Tate explained.

"The board took the four finalists from the district site-based committee and spent two evenings - April 24 and 26 - interviewing them," Tate said on Thursday. "The board came back on April 27 and we called Mike Segleski and offered him the job. He verbally accepted."

Tate, who is in his seventh year as superintendent of the Beckville ISD, said the two sides briefly discussed the contract at that day and Segleski indicated that his first day on the position would be this past Monday, May 7.

Tate said that in his email to him, Segleski stated, "I'm writing to say that, through much prayer and council, I have decided to turn down the opportunity to become athletic director and head football coach at Beckville ISD," the superintendent read from the letter. "It has nothing to do with the school or the community, I just believe God is leading me in a different direction."

Tate said he made several attempts to contact Segleski by phone on Monday, but has yet to reach him or to have the Aubrey coach return his calls.

The superintendent said Friday's special called meeting is not only to discuss the athletic department position, but also to present the Board with a recommendation for the Band Director position with the district.

Tate went on to say that since the Board has a regularly scheduled meeting on Monday it might decide to wait until then to make an offer to another candidate.

"We have a couple of options," Tate concluded. "I anticipate we'll name a band director and discuss (the AD/HC) position. There might be a motion to hire one. But we have a Board meeting on Monday, so hopefully we can secure a candidate and offer him a job."

Tate said although the current situation is unfortunate, he was glad it happened now and not 'down the road'. He said the Board of Trustees had several goals in mind, with the main one being to secure a candidate who was committed to steadily improving the complete athletics program from grades 7th through 12.

"We want an athletic director essentially from elementary P.E. to our seniors finishing up their careers," Tate expressed. "That's a big goal for us.

"We want somebody with great football knowledge and (teams) that are going to be competitive as he makes football a priority. On the other side, we want somebody that'll jump into all our programs, whether it's volleyball, basketball, powerlifting or whatever, and work with the programs at the high school and junior high.

"We really want to give attention to the junior high program because if we're going to have a first-rate (high school) program, it's going to start (at the junior high level). We've got to continue to feed our high school from the junior high programs."

There are three other coaching positions still currently open with the district for the 2012-13 school year. Tate stated that Dan Lloyd, who taught business and was the offensive coordinator in football and coached basketball and assisted with track and baseball, was not returning, along with head track coach and assistant basketball and volleyball coach Amanda Crump. A third coach, Josh chase, who teaches at the Beckville Middle School and finished up the year as the Bearcats' football defensive coordinator and helps with track and works at the junior high, was also not returning.

Tate said he feels whomever the district brings in as head football coach/AD and in the other positions is coming to a district with a great opportunity.

"I think it's a great opportunity," he stated. "I don't think we're just a football school or any one sport or area. We're leading the way in technology and curriculum. We have over 100 kids in FFA and we're going to have a new band director this year.

"We recently passed a bond and not only put artificial turf on the (football) field, but built a $3 million wing on the high school. We want good programs for our kids, but we want all our kids to reach their potential in everything they're taking a part of."

Beckville high school athletics has excelled during the 2011-12 year, with varsity teams advancing to the postseason in volleyball, girls basketball, baseball and softball. There was also a number of athletes who advanced to the Class 1A Region III Track & Field Meet last month.