State tournament moved to Garland

goparishpanthers2015

The UIL announced Thursday that the state volleyball tournament will be held in Garland, Nov. 15-17. Good for north Texas volleyball fans since the tourney has been in San Marcos since 2000.

And In Austin for many years before San Marcos.

Man, watch all 150 fans flock to the mecca of state-level high school sports = Garland.

No one will ever accuse me of being a volleyball fan, but what a let down for those kids. Long hours of practice, travel, and academics. All for the right to go to.......Garland.

Let's have the state football games played in Texas City and the state basketball tournament moved to Seguin.

Yes I know, there are hotel conflicts in San Marcos.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, watch all 150 fans flock to the mecca of state-level high school sports = Garland.

No one will ever accuse me of being a volleyball fan, but what a let down for those kids. Long hours of practice, travel, and academics. All for the right to go to.......Garland.

Let's have the state football games played in Texas City and the state basketball tournament moved to Seguin.

Yes I know, there are hotel conflicts in San Marcos.

My point is that football coaches get to talk to their teams (when appropriate talent exists) about playing at JerryWorld. Basketball coaches have been talking about "getting to Austin" or "playing in The Drum" for years. Baseball gets to play at Dell Diamond or Disch-Falk Field. Playing the Final Four in VB at the Garland Events Center just doesn't have the same ring, does it?

It may be "nice," but I bet it won't be too special for a kid. We as adults know that playing at the state level is special, but many kids would rather play on a college campus, I bet. I could be wrong.

My point is that football coaches get to talk to their teams (when appropriate talent exists) about playing at JerryWorld. Basketball coaches have been talking about "getting to Austin" or "playing in The Drum" for years. Baseball gets to play at Dell Diamond or Disch-Falk Field. Playing the Final Four in VB at the Garland Events Center just doesn't have the same ring, does it?

It may be "nice," but I bet it won't be too special for a kid. We as adults know that playing at the state level is special, but many kids would rather play on a college campus, I bet. I could be wrong.

So what about before there was a "Jerry's World"?

Centex, I do understand where you are coming from. Evidently, holding the state volleyball tournament in Garland must be good for the UIL. They will be benefitting somehow. I wish all state championships would be held in Austin for obvious reasons. Roundrock is not Austin nor is San Marcos. The state cc championships were held in Georgetown several years back. Back when I was in HS we ran in the state cc meet at Townlake in Austin. I know it's probably not practical but it would be nice to have all state championships in the state's capitol. Play volleyball in Gregory gym and play all football games in Memorial Stadium! Like I said, probably not practical.

• 2 weeks later...

Centex, I do understand where you are coming from. Evidently, holding the state volleyball tournament in Garland must be good for the UIL. They will be benefitting somehow. I wish all state championships would be held in Austin for obvious reasons. Roundrock is not Austin nor is San Marcos. The state cc championships were held in Georgetown several years back. Back when I was in HS we ran in the state cc meet at Townlake in Austin. I know it's probably not practical but it would be nice to have all state championships in the state's capitol. Play volleyball in Gregory gym and play all football games in Memorial Stadium! Like I said, probably not practical.

I scouted the special events center last year at regionals. Nice place but San Marcos is a little homier. I'm sure M O N E Y had something to do with it.

playing for a state title will be a special memory for every kid involved if you play the game at the Garland ISD Pre-K center...