After 10-years, I can't say thank you enough...

Smoaky

After 10-years, I can't say thank you enough...

It was ten years ago today when we launched this website, Smoaky.com.

At the time, I had no idea what to expect, and the results have been overwhelming. But, it's not for me to decide the role this website has played in covering high school sports in this region, that's for you the membership.

I can't thank you the membership enough for your time, interest, loyalty and support.

I want to especially thank our original webmaster, Daffydd Morgan, who helped design the monster than has a heart-beat of its own, whether I'm involved or not.

There has been and continues to be a core of administrators and moderators who have the thankless job of making decisions that not many agree with or appreciate. They don't receive compensation, they get most of the grief, but their passion and loyalty to this website has been undying.

I would like to also thank my new staff of technical support, including CyberLynk (formerly Perfect Presence), Derek Tonkin, Dustin Hicks, Zach Burke, Paul Catalina, Jason Barringer, Jamie Garrett, and our incredible Interns, Brian Bauer, Casey Floyd and Leslie Horn.

I'll never forget that first summer when we began to build the historical section for approximately 100 high school football programs in greater East Texas. That number has nearly doubled in ten years, and we're on the verge of launching our newest section that will include greater Central Texas. I remember asking Craig, Jennifer and Cindy for their time and help in adding, revising and creating the program-by-program historical information that literally took hundreds upon hundreds of hours back in the summer of 2002. And, hundreds upon hundreds of additional hours keeping each program updated from year to year.

We have seen numerous websites come and go, and we've always tried to help them along the way. New websites are about to launch, if not already, and we welcome them to the family, because as one high school coach once told me a long time ago, "It's always supposed to be about the kids."

Yes, it is, so even with competition, the more the merrier.

I've appreciated and enjoyed the discussion, opinions, and information that has allowed this website to perhaps make a difference at times, and yes, sometimes be your biggest pain in the butt.

I love this website because it's allowed thousands upon thousands of players, coaches, and fans to meet up at their convenience to argue, digest, discuss and vent their emotions, feelings and passion of high school athletics. And, although they don't like to admit it, some high school administrators too!

But, along the way, Smoaky.com added other forum sections that are more than just high school football, and yes, even the ever-challenging "Political Forum!"

I honestly don't know what the future holds for Smoaky.com, but, we've made it through a full decade, a goal I never thought possible.

If you would like to add a comment about Smoaky.com, please feel free to email me and I'll add a link for comments on the homepage.

And, if you feel so inclined and I've tugged at your emotions enough, you can always go to the bottom of our homepage Smoaky.com and donate a dollar or twenty to our PayPal account.

Okay, I couldn't resist!

It's been a great journey into literally the "unknown" but it wouldn't be possible without you the membership.

I can't thank you enough and God Bless!

David Smoak

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Like 1

Smoaky, I like to thank you for this site. It was a great idea. Its without a question one of the best sites out there. So much historical info, and etc. I tell people all the time that you are the best sports broadcaster in the business. Those R.E.L. broadcast were better than some NFL broadcasts and many college ones as well. Thanks. Keep up the great work.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...