Athens Hornets @ Gladewater Bears

HORNET4LIFE

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will Athens Hornets beat the undefeated Gladewater Bears

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So true, but you also know that it really doesn't matter where a team is pick before the season, it matters where they finish!! The Bears were picked 6th in their district...we will see how that works out!!

I have never said that the Bears have this game one....I am not that stupid!! I said, after reading your post that I felt better about our chances of coming away with the win!! Also after reading another thread on the Hornet's first two games, I got the same impression. Personally, I believe it will come down to how good your OL & DL play. And for the Bears I think it comes down to having no turnovers that stop drives or give the Hornets good field possession. At Daingerfield the Bears played with a lead all night and didn't let up. Last Friday the Bears came back to defeat Pittsburg in the last 2:00 minutes of the game. Neither game did the Bears believe the game was over and let up. Two years ago the Bears couldn't finish games because of a lack of conditioning. Last year that wasn't the case. Win or lose they finished every game strong. That's a great thing toward improving a program for years to come!!

Looks like, from reading all the post, that both the Hornets and the Bears love to run the ball, but will throw at times. We will just have to wait and see which defense steps up and makes the big stops, but if I were a betting person, I would put my money on the Bear's defense!!

Yeup, I was thinking the same thing it'll be the defense that will win this game.

Ill be rooting for Athens Hornets and ill put my money on them any game.

Don't get so defensive, he was only kidding about the stadium!! Everyone knows the Bears have a GREAT stadium!!!

Finally we can agree on something..lol only about having a stadium. Idk about having a "great" stadium cause I've never seen it.

You can tell this kids been loosing for a long time...2-0 way to go

Lol

Js 2-0 is better than 1-1 so he's got no room to talk.

He has as much right to talk as you do!! You can't compare 2-0 to 1-1 to determine who has the better team. It's not that simple. You have to take into account strength of opponents. I still say that Prestonwood is better than either team the Bears have beaten!!!!!

1347368862[/url]' post='1765053']

Like i said good job your 2-0.....lol....what u got against the Buxs......lol......beside getting wooped by them all the time.........Do You Play

RealGtown is a freshman in high school, don't take his enthusiasm too personal..... On a football note, this is a better G'water Bear football team. I watched them against my D'field Tigers and came away impressed, so impressed that I attended their next game with Pitt. While they do have some obvious weaknesses, they are leaps and bounds ahead of last years team. Their run game is legit, and their front seven on defense is pretty salty..... What really stands out though, is how they are playing together and with more discipline than previous years. Coach Baugh is starting to put his stamp on this program, and I see good things ahead. Their number of players are not on the level with the district 16 3a opponents, so it will be interesting to see if they can handle the depth issue. Athens is a well coached ball club with depth, so it should be a good be a challenge.

RealGtown is a freshman in high school, don't take his enthusiasm too personal..... On a football note, this is a better G'water Bear football team. I watched them against my D'field Tigers and came away impressed, so impressed that I attended their next game with Pitt. While they do have some obvious weaknesses, they are leaps and bounds ahead of last years team. Their run game is legit, and their front seven on defense is pretty salty..... What really stands out though, is how they are playing together and with more discipline than previous years. Coach Baugh is starting to put his stamp on this program, and I see good things ahead. Their number of players are not on the level with the district 16 3a opponents, so it will be interesting to see if they can handle the depth issue. Athens is a well coached ball club with depth, so it should be a good be a challenge.

I think the depth problem will only be an issue if the Bears have any injuries. They improved greatly last year through their conditioning and were finishing games strong, which was something they have had problems with in the past. In the past they would get very tired going into the 4th quarter. That was totally not an issue last year. The boys put the work in, on and off the field, to get stronger and better.

If Gladewater is to able break through the defense and make sure they are out of there once they break then every play they do will be a scoring drive.

Idk how good gladewater is in passing/receiving but Athens defense has the pass coverage settled and that QB Better let go of that ball quick cause

that defensive coach is doing a good job is teaching these linebackers to there job very well.

1347411179[/url]' post='1765541']

I think the depth problem will only be an issue if the Bears have any injuries. They improved greatly last year through their conditioning and were finishing games strong, which was something they have had problems with in the past. In the past they would get very tired going into the 4th quarter. That was totally not an issue last year. The boys put the work in, on and off the field, to get stronger and better.

Yes ma'am, I agree about their conditioning, but I am talking about depth from the standpoint of numbers only...... Teams like Kilgore and Gilmer cycle in players with little to no fall off in production, and even the most fit athlete will wear down under those circumstances. I didn't notice any Bears going both ways so that's a plus, just not many bodies on the sideline.

Yes ma'am, I agree about their conditioning, but I am talking about depth from the standpoint of numbers only...... Teams like Kilgore and Gilmer cycle in players with little to no fall off in production, and even the most fit athlete will wear down under those circumstances. I didn't notice any Bears going both ways so that's a plus, just not many bodies on the sideline.

In theory you are right, but I still don't think the numbers will be an issue, except, as I said, if the Bears sustain any injuries. I don't think the cycling in of other teams will hurt the Bears, but that being said,they might struggle against physically bigger and stronger teams. Even if you match number for number, if your team is bigger, stronger & quicker, then you will easily wear down the other team, but even if you have the numbers on your side, if you are slower, smaller & weaker, it doesn't matter how many guys you substitute in, it won't wear the other team out.

All I am saying is that I have seen the Bears in the last few years grow stronger and improve drastically their conditioning. I have seen them finish games strong, win or lose, more than they have in many, many years.