Overton at Maud

Mr. P

Overton (5-3, 2-0) at Maud (4-4, 2-0)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes this one?

7uaxn.gif

I've got kinfolk from up around Maud area and I've told them that I think this is one of our most "underrated" rivalries… mostly due to a refreshing lack of rancor.

Overton-Maud has made for some thrilling battles on the diamond as well as on the gridiron, and I think Friday's game is just the latest example. For a couple schools who are nowhere near each other on the map, we sure play like we're crosstown rivals.

Going back to 1996 the series is tied 4-4. Maud won 32-0 in 1996 but Overton came back the next year to blank the Cardinals 14-0. In 2000 Overton left Maud with a 43-14 rout, only to have the Cards return the favor in 2001 with a 41-0 shutout. Since 2002 the scores have remained rather close, with Maud edging Overton 35-24 that year and the 'Stangs taking it 28-25 in 2003. 2010 saw the series continue after a seven-year hiatus and a thrilling 49-37 win by the Mustangs in Maud. Once again, Maud returned the favor last year by coming into our house and taking advantage of an extremely lackluster performance by Overton, winning 28-12.

It seems the home team has never won this match-up, which is strange considering how long the visiting team has to drive. But for whatever reason it's never affected the outcome. Since 1996 the "away" team is 8-0.

But like another commentator put it, throw away the numbers and forget about the records. This one's gonna be a doozy.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7uaxn.gif

I've got kinfolk from up around Maud area and I've told them that I think this is one of our most "underrated" rivalries… mostly due to a refreshing lack of rancor.

Overton-Maud has made for some thrilling battles on the diamond as well as on the gridiron, and I think Friday's game is just the latest example. For a couple schools who are nowhere near each other on the map, we sure play like we're crosstown rivals.

Going back to 1996 the series is tied 4-4. Maud won 32-0 in 1996 but Overton came back the next year to blank the Cardinals 14-0. In 2000 Overton left Maud with a 43-14 rout, only to have the Cards return the favor in 2001 with a 41-0 shutout. Since 2002 the scores have remained rather close, with Maud edging Overton 35-24 that year and the 'Stangs taking it 28-25 in 2003. 2010 saw the series continue after a seven-year hiatus and a thrilling 49-37 win by the Mustangs in Maud. Once again, Maud returned the favor last year by coming into our house and taking advantage of an extremely lackluster performance by Overton, winning 28-12.

It seems the home team has never won this match-up, which is strange considering how long the visiting team has to drive. But for whatever reason it's never affected the outcome. Since 1996 the "away" team is 8-0.

But like another commentator put it, throw away the numbers and forget about the records. This one's gonna be a doozy.

do you or anyone know what happened to the running back overton had back in 2010. i think he was either a freshman or sophmore back then. he looked to be the real deal, but hadn't heard much from him since. is he still around.

Still around and doing great, in fact, he's our leading tackler...

do you or anyone know what happened to the running back overton had back in 2010. i think he was either a freshman or sophmore back then. he looked to be the real deal, but hadn't heard much from him since. is he still around.

Broke his hand earlier this year. Just got cast off last week. Ran hard. Had a 40-45 yard td called back on a hold.

Broke his hand earlier this year. Just got cast off last week. Ran hard. Had a 40-45 yard td called back on a hold.

Heh heh heh, yeah, that mustangmania is quite a kidder ain't he? Don't worry about ol' #32 on offense, he's purely a defensive standout. Yep, doubt he'll get many carries. Yep... <_<

mustangmania! SHHHH!!! ;)

Heh heh heh, yeah, that mustangmania is quite a kidder ain't he? Don't worry about ol' #32 on offense, he's purely a defensive standout. Yep, doubt he'll get many carries. Yep... dry.gif

mustangmania! SHHHH!!! ;)

i didn't figure he would be a factor on offense............RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure: Is he a junior this year?

i saw him as a freshman and i was very impressed. i remember him and a lineman that was a sophmore. he was a beast also. guess he should be a senior this year.

The lineman is still a beast... has played about 5 or 6 different positions on defense and excelled at all of them. Is being recruited as a lineman and a linebacker. I'm not gonna say by who but they're good schools.

The lineman is still a beast... has played about 5 or 6 different positions on defense and excelled at all of them. Is being recruited as a lineman and a linebacker. I'm not gonna say by who but they're good schools.

i believe it is gonna be a great game and i hope everyone comes out injury free. best of luck to ya'll, but overton better get their wins in now if they can cause maud has alot of good days ahead. we have some really good classes coming up....

i believe it is gonna be a great game and i hope everyone comes out injury free. best of luck to ya'll, but overton better get their wins in now if they can cause maud has alot of good days ahead. we have some really good classes coming up....

I hear you, but Overton does as well. A lot of raw talent in our JV, especially on the o-line, and our coaching staff hasn't even had a full year yet. I can't imagine how much sharper we're gonna look after they actually have a proper Spring practice.

A lot of talented kids in middle school also, kids who're used to winning and playing in big games. Speed and size. Backfield depth. It's exciting to see the talent and know we've got a staff who can help our kids realize their potential.

This year is just the beginning. Overton's return to prominence is underway.

Not trying to contridict anyone but when was Overtons Prominence exactly?? Just wondering when their hayday was?

We've had several, but the most recent occurred during the better part of the 80s and 90s...

I hear you, but Overton does as well. A lot of raw talent in our JV, especially on the o-line, and our coaching staff hasn't even had a full year yet. I can't imagine how much sharper we're gonna look after they actually have a proper Spring practice.

A lot of talented kids in middle school also, kids who're used to winning and playing in big games. Speed and size. Backfield depth. It's exciting to see the talent and know we've got a staff who can help our kids realize their potential.

This year is just the beginning. Overton's return to prominence is underway.

looks like these are two programs that are gonna have alot of good battles ahead. our lower classes are very talented with size and speed also. we have yet to have a complete off season under our new coach so it will be very interesting. looks like these post will only heat up more over time then.