Waskom to forfeit 7-wins

Smoaky

Waskom head football coach Whitney Keeling confirms his program will forfeit their seven wins this season due to a birth certificate issue involving a student-athlete.

The District Executive Committee rules a student-athlete could not prove the relationship with a father who is not listed on his birth certificate. The student-athlete has been living with his father since he was four-months old, but the mother, who lives in Shreveport is the only one listed on the birth certificate.

When asked how he was doing, Coach Keeling said, "How do think? It's been tough day, and although there's no doubt in our mind the student-athlete is living with his father, we can't truly prove that on the necessary paperwork required by the U.I.L." Keeling added, "It's very frustrating, and this issue came about when a parent turned in an issue on another eligibility issue, and then we found this issue as well."

Keeling also said Waskom I.S.D. didn't appear to have any appeal available because the birth certificate speaks for itself.

Waskom closes out their regular season against District Champion Hughes Springs this weekend.

Stay tuned...

New District 9-2A, Division II Standings Following Ruling:

Hughes Springs (9-0)(6-0)

Elysian Fields (6-3)(5-1)

Paul Pewitt (4-5)(4-2)

DeKalb (4-5)(4-2)

New Diana (5-4)(3-3)

Linden-Kildare (1-8)(1-5)

Ore City (1-8)(1-5)

Waskom (0-9)(0-6)

Previous District 9-2A, Division II Standings "Before Ruling"

Hughes Springs (9-0)(6-0)

Elysian Fields (6-3)(5-1)

Waskom (7-2)(4-2)

New Diana (5-4)(3-3)

Paul Pewitt (3-6)(3-3)

DeKalb (3-6)(3-3)

Linden-Kildare (0-9)(0-6)

Ore City (0-9)(0-6)

David Smoak

This is such bull! As soon as waskom has success, sombody destroys it! It's unfair to the kids who busted their tails everyday to be successful, it's unfair to the coaches who work countless hours to make the program succesful and give up so much of their time to helping these kids be successful, and it's unfair to the dedicated fans who have bought into the program and supported the wildcats every week and throughout the year! This is a terrible tragedy to a succesful program, great coaches, and outstanding student athletes who worked hard to achieve a goal! Whoever is responsible for taking away from these boys season, I'd keep myself anonymous unless you want to be hated by many!

The Waskom Wildcats are 7-2 in my book even still, and they earned every bit of success they achieved!!

This is sad to hear. And it changes a few things in the district by putting Pewitt in the playoff hunt. Also, changes things for Diana even though the record stays the same. Assuming EF beats Pewitt, ND will have to win by 11 over DeKalb for a post season appearance. Pewitt must beat EF and they are in regardless of the outcome of ND/ Dekalb game.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Doesn't sound like this is the kid's, coaches', or school's fault. Sometimes the UIL needs to take this into consideration instead of ALWAYS following the rule to the letter. These rules were put into place to keep people from cheating and I understand that, but sometimes no one is trying to cheat and it is just bad circumstances. Kids can't help their home situation. Sad!!

Keeps LK and or Ore City from going 0-10. About the only good thing from this.

One of them will have 2 wins after Friday night. The sad thing to me is its not even a "big deal". Its not like it's the Spygate scandal, a student-athlete taking anabolic steroids, or an in-eligble move-in. Jus the fact that the proper paperwork could not be provided. Prayers go out to everyone involved. Like Jethro said, its not fair to the players and coaches that have worked hard all season to achieve a winning record, nor to the parents and fans who have supported all year long. Best of luck against Hughes Springs.

This is sad to hear. And it changes a few things in the district by putting Pewitt in the playoff hunt. Also, changes things for Diana even though the record stays the same. Assuming EF beats Pewitt, ND will have to win by 11 over DeKalb for a post season appearance. Pewitt must beat EF and they are in regardless of the outcome of ND/ Dekalb game.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

if DeKalb wins they are in regardless of the outcome of the PP/EF game because they beat PP in the head to head match.

We are hearing that it was more than one kid. Word out of the district is that there are four kids found guilty not just one! Still more to the story than putting out!

I also hear that it was not just 1 player. Does this mean they played basketball last year and basketball will also be forfeiting games? Didnt they make the playoffs in hoop last year? Wow!! When the UIL starts sniffing that usually means there are some wrinkles in some things.

I hate to hear that this happened to Waskom, however, if this rule wasn't in place a lot of kids would be going to live with their "daddy's". This is just a situation that sounds like the father was trying to do the right thing. So does the UIL require every athletes birth certificate to be correct for eligibility? If so do they check every kid in the state?

I think there are several schools in east Texas like this. I think they do not do enough to check this matter out.What is even worse is when a coach tells you to transfer to another school for athletic purposes. Coaches and school officials have to know it is strange when you receive 5 transfer from another school in one year.

If I understand everything correctly (and I probably don't!) If OPP beats EF their head to head loss to dekalb won't matter. OPP will take second and EF will take third.

If Paul Pewitt and DeKalb both win this week...........the "new/updated" records would be

Paul Pewitt 4-2

E. F 4-2

DeKalb 4-2

and with that, you go to the "points" tiebreaker........DeKalb is locked in with a big negative number(if the district uses plus 18 as the largest margin of victory, then DeKalb would be (-14)............P.P. and E.F. would advance to the playoffs

We are hearing that it was more than one kid. Word out of the district is that there are four kids found guilty not just one! Still more to the story than putting out!

Let me know if I am right or wrong! But if they were here the whole season last year then they are eligible this year! Waskom only has two new kids this year so it wouldn't even be possible to be more than two kids?! Also whatever kid the whole ordeal is about will be eligible next year correct? Don't know Uil rules just trying to figure out

Waskom was the most unsportsmanlike team OC has faced all year and that's saying a lot after they played EF at their house. When the karma bus gets you, it hits you hard. I hate it for the athletes that don't run their heads and have good sportsmanship but for those other athletes and some of the coaches I think it's just karma coming around.

Waskom was the most unsportsmanlike team OC has faced all year and that's saying a lot after they played EF at their house. When the karma bus gets you, it hits you hard. I hate it for the athletes that don't run their heads and have good sportsmanship but for those other athletes and some of the coaches I think it's just karma coming around.

Ur an idiot!

i guess oc knows about karma going from a playoff team to 0-9 o wait they have a win now lol the onlything that is unsportsmanlike in ore city is the athletic program haha

i guess oc knows about karma going from a playoff team to 0-9 o wait they have a win now lol the onlything that is unsportsmanlike in ore city is the athletic program haha

Now who is the Idiot Is it the one who talks about Karma or the one who retaliates against a whole program

Now now.

Both sides need to take a chill pill.

If he expressed an opinion you disagree with, whether it is or is not true, do not defend the issue with a sophmoric response. Not only is it against the TOS, it doesn't make your point valid, in fact it detracts from it.

I do not know the program, but I knew the AD while he was here. I do not see him as having a team that played in an unsporting manner, he is not that kind of man to tolerate it.

Maybe Mr BGR has a personal opinion based on something he thinks is valid, but I view things from the outside as probably sour grapes, knowing the coach.

That said, it seens Waskom had a bad situation come out of something less than what others have done worse for.less or no penalty.

If things are as I read them, it is unforunate, to say the least.