Hughes Springs vs. Centerville

Horns85

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to observing HS' version of the Slot-T ....

Coming up as a young coach, I worked for a prominent member of the Texas Slot-T cult. As an old guy now, I still like to watch the offense run - particularly what changes different coaches have found it necessary to do out of the original mold. In the old days it took a secret handshake to share any information and you were virtually laughed at if you even suggested the need for a change or addition - believing the 100, 200, and 300 Series were quite sufficient. People who ran it, identified with it and eventually it identified them. Any variations were almost sacrilegious to the legacy. It doesn't take long to identify them either as their jargon is virtually all the same. I, A (with two versions of TB motion: Dead-T or I), O, and X; with each potentially mixed with doubles ... 236, 228, 243TT, 249 - 332, 324, 328, 319 …and with, of course, the dreaded Eight Hole Reverse and Peanut Play.

Over the years, I had the opportunity to spend time visiting with some of the originators and so an interest in the pedigree was a natural curiosity of mine. Some people believe it was a merging of Sammy Baugh's Slot-T at Hardin-Simmons and the Dead-T and Split-T groups out of Central and West Texas in the Fifties. Although the Single Wing most certainly led to the Wing-T, most old coaches will tell you that the West Texas Wing-T also evolved from this mix.

It is generally widely recognized that the Texas brand of Slot-T can be traced back directly to Doug Etheridge. From there, it kind of split into different geographical regions and variations. Etheridge coached in West Texas before going to Hobbs, NM in the mid-to-late Sixties and becoming very successful with the offense - however, some people argue on whether the development there can be traced partially to L.G. Henderson who also was very successful with the Slot-T in New Mexico at the same time. Etheridge returned to Texas taking the Port Neches-Groves job in the mid-Seventies and on that end, the rest was history. Meanwhile, Henderson eventually brought his version to Texas, taking the Alice job it the late '70s. Some versions in the South and West are ablending of the two.

At that point in the late Seventies, the split occurred. Bruce Bush, an assistant of Etheridge's at PNG, took the offense to Dimmit for a year and Livingston for a few years, before going to South Texas - PSJA, Alice, Gregory-Portland, Donna, and San Marcos, and a few other such exotic places. After retiring at San Marcos, he came out of retirement to return to PSJA North -where he has just announced he is retiring again after five seasons, this time with over 270 wins. A long list of Bush's assistants became head coaches themselves and spread the offense toother points around the state.

Meanwhile, Etheridge left PNG for Round Rock, but there was a contingency of coaches in the Golden Triangle that retained and remained true to Etheridge's Slot-T and this in turn produced coaches that moved on to points north and east. This is where I think the northeast Texas version evolved from. More recently, a Central Texas version has emerged with the success of Liberty Hill, Taylor, and Livingston, all headed by former Bush assistants. There is also a version posed by a whole host of people have adapted to a Wing T/Nasty Slot One-Back alternative. Each version is slightly different and it is interesting to try to determine why the evolution went that way.

It is also interesting that it has survived long enough to become in vogue again - and somewhat of an advantage in a shotgun spread world since that 4-2-5 or 3-3 DC's have been using all year to deal with the space of the spread don't hold much water when you suddenly become faced with the compression of the Slot-T. Most people who run it love its simplicity and most people who face it complain about dealing with its versatility. As a DC, if you really understand the nuances, it is really pretty simple to get a handle on - which is why the finer points are never written down and most coaches who are associated with it are a rather tight-lipped fraternity. There are things that the Texas Slot-T does and doesn't do - and understanding this can work to an opponent's advantage.

Although I did not run it in its pure form in later years, the Multiple-I that we ran for years was very definitely based around Slot-T theory and philosophy. I have not seen a whole lot of the Northeast Texas version, but they have made adjustments. Set backs are generally a little tighter to the LOS and the Nasty Slot feature is aligned vertically a little tighter. There is also a fullback dive and option series to the slot side that was not in the original version.

Not really sure what the future holds for the TexasSlot-T gang. While I certainly can't say that its popularity is waning, I can point out that its use seems to be anchored primarily in the lower classifications … and I can't really offer a single explanation as to why this is so. Most people see it as a "three yards and a cloud ofdust" throwback, but it is really much more than that. Its compressionary features tend to lead one to believe that it is an inside-oriented offense, but nothing could be further from the truth - it is a perimeter attack, plain and simple. Very few plays target the inside gaps and its strength is found off-tackle and wider. In that way, it is not much different in theory from the spread concept which attempts to stretch the defense to open up the seams in between - the Slot-T attempts to compress the defense into a small area, thus opening space and soft points on the edge and wider.

The thing I can say is that unlike the spread attack scoring machines, the Slot-T must be paired with a solid defensive counterpart. One of the reasons people shy away from the compressed philosophy is that it is not designed to be a come-from-behind offense. In the spread world, it is designed to present a turnover-reducing physically-structured system that takes time off the clock and keeps the other team's explosive spread offense on the sidelines. The feeling is that due to this fact, ample time must be spent on developing an alternate spread attack to handle situations when conditions are not favorable on the scoreboard. With this being the case, people ask why not run a spread attack to begin with. In response, you will find the Slot-T people still running the ball even when they are behind. Right or wrong, these people generally have a greater confidence in their running game than their passing game. Given that belief, it's hard to argue with their logic - however, their clientele in the stands may see it differently. But that was probably more than you wanted to know .... and the Slot-T gang will probably have a price on my head for discussing this much.

man that was good to read DOB....thanks man

Now you like the "newspaper" write-ups, I think you have actually learned some things this season from us old, long winded guys. DOB has seen a lot of football in his day and I enjoyed my visits (debates) with him in the fan section this season. It is always nice to sit with someone who can talk the game and not have to explain every rule to. Glad he and his are part of the Bulldog Nation, but it makes it hard to yell at the coach with him around. LOL!

Your an idiot....I just had someone that knows football seeing and saying the same thing I've been trying to get through your pipe fitting head!! Are you jealous that I was a part of something that you as well as no one in HS has experienced in high school? That's what it is!!! You were just a Piece of #### Greaser!! Have another Corndog!!

Actually the 98-2000 kids had alot of success only loosing to state semifinalist mart, and state champ mart. If in the weak small school then they could have cruised to play celina in state and be involved in that setting that pewitt has been in only a few times....The rest of the time they have been just a playoff team...like this yr hs team nothing to write home about.

Actually the 98-2000 kids had alot of success only loosing to state semifinalist mart, and state champ mart. If in the weak small school then they could have cruised to play celina in state and be involved in that setting that pewitt has been in only a few times....The rest of the time they have been just a playoff team...like this yr hs team nothing to write home about.

Huh? HS couldn't have played with the 98, 99, 05 teams in there respective years!! Pewitt has been to the state championship 3 times, semifinals 5 times and several quarterfinals one in 3A in 97 so just a playoff team is kinda misleading there Lucky!! The last four years Pewitt would have made it several rounds if they would have been playing in the weak region 3, but they lost to Pottsboro, Aubrey, and Mildred who all finished pretty high! Consider yourself Lucky to be where you are now!

Huh? HS couldn't have played with the 98, 99, 05 teams in there respective years!! Pewitt has been to the state championship 3 times, semifinals 5 times and several quarterfinals one in 3A in 97 so just a playoff team is kinda misleading there Lucky!! The last four years Pewitt would have made it several rounds if they would have been playing in the weak region 3, but they lost to Pottsboro, Aubrey, and Mildred who all finished pretty high! Consider yourself Lucky to be where you are now!

Dang you played varsity football for 8 yrs. Impressive, I didn't realize you could do that. Funny how pewitt did not go very far this year and all of the sudden the region is weak! Guess region 2 is weak also since clarksville is in the third round. You keep calling 88 stupid, thinks its time to look in the mirror.

Dang you played varsity football for 8 yrs. Impressive, I didn't realize you could do that. Funny how pewitt did not go very far this year and all of the sudden the region is weak! Guess region 2 is weak also since clarksville is in the third round. You keep calling 88 stupid, thinks its time to look in the mirror.

Who's calling who stupid? Where in the post did I say I played for eight years? They are in the third round because its watered down and the third round is the first time where two district champagne can play each other! In 2a football other than Tatum and Dfield who has won a state championship lately out of region 3?

@Lombardi

It must just eat away at your most inner core that Hughes Springs is doing good this year!! Dang man, don't be such a downer for a team that you should have a little alliegance to in the playoffs... HS would be pulling for you guys if ya'll were in the playoffs. There is a competition factor on the field i understand that, but enough with the OVER the TOP HS hating!!

Smile, its good for ya.!!!:rolleyes:

Now you like the "newspaper" write-ups, I think you have actually learned some things this season from us old, long winded guys. DOB has seen a lot of football in his day and I enjoyed my visits (debates) with him in the fan section this season. It is always nice to sit with someone who can talk the game and not have to explain every rule to. Glad he and his are part of the Bulldog Nation, but it makes it hard to yell at the coach with him around. LOL!

yes I do. and yes sir...these last 3 years thanks to Dale and many of you Bulldogs alumni I have learned a great deal about the game. You and DOB have always had my respect....I'm just a #### sometimes hahahahaha it's all good. I read just about everything you guys post even if you don't realize it.

Who's calling who stupid? Where in the post did I say I played for eight years? They are in the third round because its watered down and the third round is the first time where two district champagne can play each other! In 2a football other than Tatum and Dfield who has won a state championship lately out of region 3?

I was just going off where you built all that foundation and laid all those bricks, funny how up to date you are living in the metroplex.

Lombardi shows how intelligent he or she really is! His mouth over loads his #### for sure. He is a no brainer homer for Pewitt and has a love hate realtionship for the Mustangs! Lets make a rule that no one speak to this idiot and maybe the troll will go play under his bridge! After that being said this should be a great game between two great teams out of a region that will represent itself well against any! So Lombardi shhhhhh! No one is listening!!!!

Well next time your in come visit me at my doublewide right on the corner of come get u some and your a retard, right outside of downtown "open a can on ur a$$". Just funnin with the so called country boy who lives in the city and knows more than everyone now. Atta boy make opp proud. Bet you spend a lot of time in bed bath and beyond.

<br/>Who's calling who stupid?  Where in the post did I say I played for eight years?  They are in the third round because its watered down and the third round is the first time where two district champagne can play each other!  In 2a football other than Tatum and Dfield who has won a state championship lately out of region 3?<br/>
<br/><br/><br/>

Hope you realize that Region III changes(and disticts)some from realignment. EF was in Region II (Distict 8) last year, now it's in Region III (Distict 9) since the last realignment, same goes for HS.

<br/><br/><br/>

Hope you realize that Region III changes(and disticts)some from realignment. EF was in Region II (Distict 8) last year, now it's in Region III (Distict 9) since the last realignment, same goes for HS.

Didn't you get the memo? Lmao

I'm really curious to see how HS comes out and plays this week. I feel like this will be the first time they are tested in a long while.

I think it will be one of two things. Either they come and strap it on Cville because they've gotten that good or the game is a dog fight and their schedule that originally appreared tough was misleading due to some teams being down this year. I don't see Cville hammering HS, but if it does happen, I like my crow with hot sauce.

Now if HS wins and stays healthy, I do believe it could be bad news for Arp!! (Assuming they take care of EF and don't look ahead!!)

sounds like garrison did alot of helping Cville.

Gee … that's a fairly assumptive leap. Where I was sitting last Friday night, I saw a bunch up by four touches with a couple of minutes left who, with the exception of the QB, had their first team on the field doing everything they could to slap on another … wondering when their big fullback had to come out during the drive and limped to the sideline, if padding a few stats was worth potentially losing a two-way star. I don't figure they need any help because they apparently got all the answers. But, of course, I wasn't sitting in the stands where you probably were, but if I was I most likely would have been wondering if putting seventy on the board didn't seem a bit extreme at the time. But hey, don't mind me, I'm just the 270-pound old dinosaur in the stands - who still happens to believe that adults should do what's best for kids - regardless of what sideline they happen to be standing on at the time. However … to each his own.

Gee … that's a fairly assumptive leap. Where I was sitting last Friday night, I saw a bunch up by four touches with a couple of minutes left who, with the exception of the QB, had their first team on the field doing everything they could to slap on another … wondering when their big fullback had to come out during the drive and limped to the sideline, if padding a few stats was worth potentially losing a two-way star. I don't figure they need any help because they apparently got all the answers. But, of course, I wasn't sitting in the stands where you probably were, but if I was I most likely would have been wondering if putting seventy on the board didn't seem a bit extreme at the time. But hey, don't mind me, I'm just the 270-pound old dinosaur in the stands - who still happens to believe that adults should do what's best for kids - regardless of what sideline they happen to be standing on at the time. However … to each his own.

I was at the game you weren't at and in their defense, they put up 49 in the first half and let their starters play the first drive of the the second half and subbed a bunch after that. Their subs scored the last two running their base offense. I wouldn't have a problem with that from the other sideline, especially in the playoffs. But hey, that's just me.