If the playoffs where this year...better!

RedCreek49

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/11/29/college-football-playoff-mock-selection-committee/index.html?sct=cf_t11_a0

SI's mock selection committee exercise produced a simple conclusion: While the move to a four-team playoff has been largely praised, the resulting process may be more complicated and controversial than the current system.

If a case where there is a 4 team playoff and 3 SEC teams are ranked in 3 of the top 4 spots, the SEC will have a hard time if one of their teams gets replaced by lowered ranked team who is not a conference champion (like in the example).

The SEC agreed to the playoff as long as the top 4 teams are taken with special consideration given to a conference champion for the number 4 spot if they are being left out. However, there were guidelines in how that would work and what they would have to be ranked. I was skeptical of a special small selection committee that is vested in self interest holding all the power.

What could the SEC do, well pullout for one! I'm fine with them playing the SEC Championship and bowl games. Also, THE SEC could offer a special challenge bowl with a payout of $60 million per team, 3 times what the largest bowls pay. They could offer it to the highest ranked team that would be willing to play them. The TV networks would come up with the money for sure! All the SEC would lose is half the prize money since the SEC would get their money for participating and the networks would pay the rest. Throw is a sponsor and the SEC would make good money off of the game plus possibly have a chance to lure the playoff champ into the game and beat them silly if they would play. $60 mil is a lot to turn down!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/11/29/college-football-playoff-mock-selection-committee/index.html?sct=cf_t11_a0

SI's mock selection committee exercise produced a simple conclusion: While the move to a four-team playoff has been largely praised, the resulting process may be more complicated and controversial than the current system.

If a case where there is a 4 team playoff and 3 SEC teams are ranked in 3 of the top 4 spots, the SEC will have a hard time if one of their teams gets replaced by lowered ranked team who is not a conference champion (like in the example).

The SEC agreed to the playoff as long as the top 4 teams are taken with special consideration given to a conference champion for the number 4 spot if they are being left out. However, there were guidelines in how that would work and what they would have to be ranked. I was skeptical of a special small selection committee that is vested in self interest holding all the power.

What could the SEC do, well pullout for one! I'm fine with them playing the SEC Championship and bowl games. Also, THE SEC could offer a special challenge bowl with a payout of $60 million per team, 3 times what the largest bowls pay. They could offer it to the highest ranked team that would be willing to play them. The TV networks would come up with the money for sure! All the SEC would lose is half the prize money since the SEC would get their money for participating and the networks would pay the rest. Throw is a sponsor and the SEC would make good money off of the game plus possibly have a chance to lure the playoff champ into the game and beat them silly if they would play. $60 mil is a lot to turn down!

So what your saying is the SEC teams would take their ball and go home? Also, why would the SEC agree to play in the lowly BCS Bowls that only pay out $17-18 million per team when they could have their own game with $60 million per team payouts? This post is full of ridiculousness.

So what your saying is the SEC teams would take their ball and go home? Also, why would the SEC agree to play in the lowly BCS Bowls that only pay out $17-18 million per team when they could have their own game with $60 million per team payouts? This post is full of ridiculousness.

I agree. By the way Lhornfan, i love the picture change over there <------------------------

No controversy there in my opinion! Those teams all could have avoided the situation they're in by winning the games in front of them! The only time I see controversy is when a team goes undefeated and does not get an attempt to play for the championship. They did everything right and didn't get a chance. But if they lose a game and are mad cause another team got selected instead of them, well that's their own fault for losing!