Gilmer vs Navasota updates

Aggie98

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Navasota is definitely the better team. Congrats on State. Great season BUX! Hold your heads high, you did amazing this year for a team that wasn't supposed to win many games. You had more heart than any team I've watched! This mom and fan is very proud!!

Congrats Navasota. We had some of your great fans sitting beside us at our game. What impressed me the most was coming out of the arena to "Go Yoe Go" all from Navasota fans waiting to be seated!! That was amazing. Two great teams; two great wins!!!

Great game for Navasota. They were exactly as billed, as I was definitely impressed. I like my crow with plenty of BBQ and well done.

Also, when I found out about Xavier last night, I called my mother in San Antonio and asked her to place him on the churches prayer list. I definitely hope that it helped.

Hope to see Navasota again next season...same time, same place, and hopefully, different results.

Congrats to both schools and hats off to your Buckeyes on yet another great season and title run! A very Merry Christmas to you and all the great Gilmer fans! Prayers for a speedy recovery and good healing for injuries as well for the young man on the prayer list and others. God bless all who have made this another great year in Texas high school football and all concerned and thanks to Smoaky and his army of regulars for the excellent forum here! Now rest and recover and enjoy a wonderful and blessed Christmas!

Holy Smokes.....How bout them Rattlers...Congrats to them, but gotta say, gonna be hard for the smaller schools to compete with the Borderline 4A teams, good job Bucks, ya'll just ran into a juggernaut team, in them Rattlers, ya'll have administered, whoopns like that before, so again just them Rattlers time, and congrats to them! For a team, that i seriously thought would be lucky to make the playoffs, and they play in SC game, and most are coming back, good job Gilmer Buckeyes!

Wow. Just got in from the game, and again, wow.

First off, Congratulations to Navasota. You proved throughout the season that you were the best team in 3A, and you cemented that in this game tonight. The scalps you collected on the way to the state championship game (Jasper, LaMarque, West Orange Stark, Gilmer) is certainly impressive. You have an amazing, complete team, and you showed it tonight.

Secondly, I can't be too disappointed in Gilmer when this was the year they were supposed to be too young and too inexperienced. They represented this city wonderfully all year long, and most every other team in the state would love to be in the state championship game. Gilmer got beat by the best 3A team in state, and there's no shame in that.

As to the game, a few quick observations.

1) 68 for Navasota is unbelievable. And only a junior? He was dominant. Navasota had too much speed for Gilmer to go to the outside, but 68 blew up the middle, so they couldn't run inside. And when Barr went back to pass, 68 was sacking Barr. Gilmer's offense just never could get going.

2) Defensively, Gilmer was keying on Navasota to pass the ball, but could never stop the zone read. In fact, at least 3 times Gilmer came with the blitz on 3rd & long, and all three times Navasota caught them, twice with the zone read, once with a screen pass. And Navasota had so much speed that once they were beyond the front seven, it was often off to the races.

3) Gilmer's defense is kind of like the Indianapolis Colts Defense in the Peyton Manning years: they play better with a lead. Gilmer does great defensively when they can pin their ears back. Gilmer does great when the other team is one dimensional, but a zone read, pass or run team that plays from the lead is tough for Gilmer's defense to handle. It's tough for most teams to handle, as Navasota proved all year.

Really, there's not much more to say. 68 & the rest of the Navasota defense controlled the game, and Navasota's offense was too fast to contain.

I did see one thing I really liked, however. At the end of the game, as Gilmer was walking off the field, Tanner Barr was in tears. Josh Walker came over to give him a word of encouragement and hug his neck. The emotional leader of the offense (Barr) and the emotional leader of the defense (Walker), were consoling each other. I'm sure these two juniors will think about this game a WHOLE lot this off season, and I'm sure they will be very hungry next year.

Again, congratulations to Navasota. truly a dominating team.

Congratulations Navasota. #68 is the most dominating player I saw all year in 3A. He is for sure a player. A complete team and coaching staff win. You guys are awesome and very deserving. Enjoy your first State Championship and we look forward to future matchups between our teams. It was a fun year for us and for you all I'm sure it was just a bit more fun and I'm sure your gonna savor your State Title for long time time to come.

Well, not much to say that hasn't already been said. There are times when you can be a doggone good football team,,, yet still have that one team, that is so talented, so good, that dominataes you no matter how good you are. When you are very good,,, and still get beaten by another team at the end, especially one like Navasota, that's a pretty humbling experience. And I'm sure the Buckeyes feel a little sense of being humbled this morning. Let me clarify that even more though, because I didn't mean that as if we had a "need" of being humbled,,,, no,,, this bunch of Buckeyes, are a very humble group of kids. Some of the best we've ever had come through Gilmer in my opinion. And we had played so wonderfully,,, going way beyond any of our expectations. Most of the folks I know, felt we were a year away from being a great team,, and yet here we were in the SC game. We had beaten and hung with every team we had played all season since week 2. But let me say this,,, we came up against a team last night, that in my opinion, was the most loaded, most talented, most well coached, most experienced, and most determined group of kids, I've ever seen play in 55 years of watching High School football. And there is "no shame" in being defeated by a team of their calibre.

Navasota deserves the State title, more than any team we've been beaten by in the playoffs, that I've ever seen. I still shake my head in marvel thinking about the talent level on your team Rattlers. I've seen my Buckeyes excel and play super good football all season against some very good football teams, but Navasota was just a step up in talent. I jokingly made reference to the Rattlers as a Jr. College team a few weeks ago. I stand by that statement "talent wise" after seeing them in person. Hats off to you Nav. Maybe we'll get another shot at you down the road somewhere,,, enjoy your first Championship. You certainly earned, and deserve it. The best team in Texas 3-A football. But the Buckeyes will be wanting to claim that title next year.

The consolation I take from all this for my Buckeyes is, the honor of watching how well we played as a team. How well we played with class, and character. That fact, is special without description here at Gilmer. And we are so proud of all of you, for being that kind of kids, and football players. We were Sophomore, and junior laden this season. We have a lot of really good kids coming back. The experience gained by playing an extra 6 games this year, is so very valuable for us for next year. The experience of going up against such a good team last night, will be invaluable as well. It will only make us better. Even going through the disappointment of losing a state title game,,, I am stoked about the prospects for next season. And to this group of kids who are seniors,,,, you guys have absolutely no reason to be down about last night. You played your hearts out all year, and can walk away from this, with your heads held high. We are sooooo very proud of you guys, and how you have played during your walk as Gilmer Buckeyes. You did so with class young men. You will be missed tremendously, and nobody, will ever forget how you left everything out on the field, in every game you guys played as Gilmer Buckeyes. That is a badge of honor I know you will always walk proudly with, and carry on into your adult life, and careers.

To those coming back,, I saw a whole lot of leadership skills from several of our underclassmen on this team. We have an excellent mix of talent and leadership for several years to come. And I will be totally surprised if we don't see you guys back deep in the playoffs, possibly in the big game again next year, just because of what we've seen from you guys all year. Believe in yourselves, and be confident. The game last night as a loss, will never define you, it was just a loss. But your character, or how well you give your all each and every game, and what you have in your heart, is what will define you. The cream rises to the top,, and I have every confidence, that you will rise again next year. Use this game for motivation, to work harder, and just get better and better. You have made every Buckeye fan proud to call you "our team". And I for one, can't wait for next season,,, to get to watch you guys grow, and mature as a team. And demonstrate once again, how we roll here at Gilmer. And our role next season is to not be denied,, and your Army of Buckeyes, will be here to back you all the way. Congratulations on an awesome season. Merry Christmas to all of you,,, from your fans, who love you guys.