20 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this district

• Tenaha, yea the Tigers
    • Gary Bobcats
    • Martinsville Pirates
    • Timpson Bears
    • Shelbyville Dragons
    • Joaquin Rams

I definitley see everyones point on third place looking like the easier road but I also see it being six one way and half a dozen the other. The only reason that 2nd looks more difficult is SA. This is a BIG IF but if a team slips by them the road to regionals could be very attainable. There are not any other "power houses" on the bottom of the bracket. On the other hand Big Sandy(Dallardsville) is not a team to take lightly they have a great basketball tradition and they are playing very good basketball. They dont score 90 -100 like SA but they dont lose very often either. Once you get by them you have Tenaha and even though Joaquin and Martinsville have played them close one time each neither team has beaten them. In my opinion SA and Tenaha are very similar. They both have atheletes, like to play up tempo with pressure, and wear you down on the offensive boards. Tenaha did beat Roxton in Roxton so they can run with anybody. If you get past those two you probably draw Grapeland and they are, again my opinion, the best team in the region. On the lower half if you get to regional semis you get either Lapoynor or Kerens. My bottom line is the first place teams in the top half of the bracket ( Grapeland, Cayuga, Big Sandy, Tenaha) are stronger than the bottom half (SA, New Summerfield, Lapoynor, Mart) as a whole. As im writing this I just remembered this is the toughest region in the state. Forget looking for an easier road it doesnt exist. Both teams should be glad they got in and be grateful for any post season win they can get.

I agree with this...but I am looking at which district winner you match up with in the 2nd round. Who would you rather play? A Big Sandy team, who may have peaked too soon (they have struggled recently in district play) or a San Augustine who has only been played closer than 40 once in the last 7 games? I also think both teams would be very confident going up against Tenaha. Thus the possible chance at the Regional tournament. I completely agree that the top part of the bracket is tough, but you wont see any of those other guys until the regional tournament, and when you get there anything can happen.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go third you get Big Sandy in the second round, if your lucky get a rematch with tenaha if they can beat a broaddus or whoever is there in the third rd.

I think the 3rd place team can beat Big Sandy. Just my 2 cents. Have to beat an athletic Alto first though.

And Tenaha is gonna catch a pretty salty West Sabine ball club. Don't have good numbers, but they are very athletic and can shoot the long ball really well.

And I saw on twitter that Martinsville beat Joaquin 60-52....not to brag but I called it.

So barring an upset Tuesday I'm guessing these two will play Friday? In Tenaha maybe?

from what I've heard Martinsville/Joe will flip a coin to determine first and second. makes sense, both teams rely heavily on starting five so extra rest would be beneficial imho.

I think the 3rd place team can beat Big Sandy. Just my 2 cents. Have to beat an athletic Alto first though.

And Tenaha is gonna catch a pretty salty West Sabine ball club. Don't have good numbers, but they are very athletic and can shoot the long ball really well.

I think both teams have beat Alto but Martinsville got beat by them at Alto then turned around and beat them at Tenaha.. should be a good contest between either school and Alto...I know nothing about Big Sandy other than seeing their scores on Hoopinsider .. ranked 7th but rankings don't mean much this time of year

I believe west sabine only beat joaquin by like 2 or 3 so i dont see them as a playoff threat. I believe all these teams are about the same excluding SA, they are probably hands down the best of the group. Any night anything could happen i guess just not everyone gets to play cinderella

Rick Flair i totally disagree with your statements. Oh yea and half of 12 is 6. San Augustine is a powerhouse and will win Area by 3 dozen points. SA and Tenaha are no where near alike. SA is red and white. Teneha is maroon and white. Tenaha are Tigers and San Augustine are wolves. Tenaha is close to Lake Murval and San Augustine is close to Sam Rayburn. I think they both try to relax you and beat you on the defensive boards. They prefer a stall game but neither have had the opportunnity to run it against inferior opponnents. The only valid statement you have made is that Grapeland is maybe the best in the region. Go watch a game sometime. These are the facts jack.

BuddyGarrity, on 12 Feb 2013 - 13:02, said:

Rick Flair i totally disagree with your statements. Oh yea and half of 12 is 6. San Augustine is a powerhouse and will win Area by 3 dozen points. SA and Tenaha are no where near alike. SA is red and white. Teneha is maroon and white. Tenaha are Tigers and San Augustine are wolves. Tenaha is close to Lake Murval and San Augustine is close to Sam Rayburn. I think they both try to relax you and beat you on the defensive boards. They prefer a stall game but neither have had the opportunnity to run it against inferior opponnents. The only valid statement you have made is that Grapeland is maybe the best in the region. Go watch a game sometime. These are the facts jack.

Hey Buddy,

A simple "i disagree" would have been enough. You dont have to throw all your fancy insider information supporting facts in my face to make a point. I know one thing you ate some crow on the 6 is half of 12 statement I made. FYI i do watch games a lot of them. Sure, none of them involve the teams I comment on but that doesnt mean I dont watch games. I have the NBA and College game season ticket on direct TV! Get you some of that ! Also you dont need to throw "Jack" on the end of an emphatic statement. Hey, thats mine and Uncle Si's catch phrase Jack!

ps There is no way SA wins area by 3 dozen points they will be lucky to win by 6 half dozen points.

so apparently Martinsville boys lost to Gary tonight giving Joaquin sole possession of second place. hmmm.

Congrats rams! been real fun watching yall this season.

Well I see all the talk of who finishes where and what route is easier is over. Looks like Tenaha and Joaquin took care of business as usual. Tenaha has a winning mentality and tradition, a powerhouse in hoops. Plus having a world class coach is a bonus. Joaquin finally gets a good group of seniors with some size inside and a knockdown shooter so I see how they got 2nd. Martinsville is a 1 man show with some decent role players. I missed out on their game with Gary, figured Martinsville would roll but I see that wasn't the case. Heard it was pretty wild, people ejected and whatnot. Was anybody at this game to confirm?