Summer Baseball

rubberhammer

Look up "East Texas Select Baseball Organization" on the League Lineup website. They will have a couple of teams that play showcases during the summer. The actual "good ones" have a different idea on select baseball, the teams select who they invite to try out instead of the player selecting the team they try out for. At 16 catch on with someone going to good events. Those good ones will be there and they are always looking for more players..

Nice shot on the kiddos.......Sorry if your phone hasn't rang after a season of League ball or a HS season to come play SELECT ball.

I don't even have kids brother! Select ball is a joke! See if you can find a percentage of how many of these so called "select" players go on to even play in the minors.

Just stated that some are better than others, never said anything about money. Select teams are just that -select player's , and good ones at that.

Not here.. Our local select teams are awful. Some of the league teams are better.

The parents are in love with the idea of their kid being on a "select" team...

Don't get wrong, I'm all about select teams if done right.

I don't even have kids brother! Select ball is a joke! See if you can find a percentage of how many of these so called "select" players go on to even play in the minors.

That statement is null and void do to the fact that only 1% of kids that play HS ball even go on to play D1 ball, much less the minors.......not trying to get into a #### contest from league ball and select ball.

I was just defending a couple of kids that i know of that do play select ball for the rite reasons....Believe me not because mommy and daddy are wealthy.

I know this is veering off the given topic, but I just couldn't let a statement made in this thread slide by...

"to even play in the minors."

Wow.

This statement had to come from someone who obviously has not the foggiest idea of the unimaginable level of talent it takes to "even" play in the minors.

Wish I would have had the talent to "even" play in short season Rookie League ball!

I know this is veering off the given topic, but I just couldn't let a statement made in this thread slide by...

Wow.

This statement had to come from someone who obviously has not the foggiest idea of the unimaginable level of talent it takes to "even" play in the minors.

Wish I would have had the talent to "even" play in short season Rookie League ball!

I like where you're going with this, but short season is reserved for the guys that they know are going to make it. I would say the least talented minors is probably extended spring training guys that live at the complex.

Ratface always seems to hit the nail on the head.

There are numerous reasons for 'select' ball.

1.) Get the players in your school district together and start playing together as a team, sans the daisy pickers from the league.

2.) Go outside of your area and play on a team in hopes of becoming a better HS player.

3.) You want to play in college so you find a team that plays in several "showcase" events.

4.) You freakin love the sport, are good at it and want to play ball 24/7, 365. Some kids play because they love the sport and no other reason.

5.) Your parents think you need to be on one.

6.) Your dad, who has never played an inning and can't see his feet thinks it is cool to call pitches while sitting on a Rawlings bucket and wearing Oakley's on his hat.

1,2,3 and 4 are legit reasons.

I like where you're going with this, but short season is reserved for the guys that they know are going to make it. I would say the least talented minors is probably extended spring training guys that live at the complex.

I agree with you.

Good post.

Ratface always seems to hit the nail on the head.

There are numerous reasons for 'select' ball.

1.) Get the players in your school district together and start playing together as a team, sans the daisy pickers from the league.

2.) Go outside of your area and play on a team in hopes of becoming a better HS player.

3.) You want to play in college so you find a team that plays in several "showcase" events.

4.) You freakin love the sport, are good at it and want to play ball 24/7, 365. Some kids play because they love the sport and no other reason.

5.) Your parents think you need to be on one.

6.) Your dad, who has never played an inning and can't see his feet thinks it is cool to call pitches while sitting on a Rawlings bucket and wearing Oakley's on his hat.

1,2,3 and 4 are legit reasons.

Wow.

Im just trying to figure out why they call it "select ball." There was no such thing as "select ball" when i played. It was called summer ball. Like I said Im just trying to figure out the meaning of "select ball." Whats so select about it??

Im just trying to figure out why they call it "select ball." There was no such thing as "select ball" when i played. It was called summer ball. Like I said Im just trying to figure out the meaning of "select ball." Whats so select about it??

Go back and read the post by threejs. Good explanation on his first 4 points. Some kids love the game, want to get better and face the best competition in preparation for HS ball or potentially college ball. That is true select ball and has nothing to do with who pays the most money.

Go back and read the post by threejs. Good explanation on his first 4 points. Some kids love the game, want to get better and face the best competition in preparation for HS ball or potentially college ball. That is true select ball and has nothing to do with who pays the most money.

Didn't answer my question.. why do they call it "select ball?"

It started out as being select and has been watered down tremendously. Back in the day, any HS player couldn't just sign up for a team and play. It was the best of the best. Now, any dad in America can put a group together or whatever talent level he finds and enter in "showcase" tournaments. There are very few legit "showcase" events still left. Any Perfect Game event, you will not find scrubs and daddy ball select teams i.e, World Wood bat tournaments in East Cobb, GA. A team put together by a dad will not have a good showing out there.

"Select" ball is a mixed bag. There are some great teams and there are some terrible ones. The team my son plays on has been together for 3 years and we've been very successful. We have players from Kilgore, Hallsville, Tatum, Carthage, Beckville, Gladewater, Garrison.... all very good baseball players. We have a sponsor that pays the entry fees and buys the uniforms and equipment. Parents pay for their gas and hotel.

Organizations like the Dallas Patriots require a fee and signed contract for your kid to be on one of their teams ($1500+). They call it "select", but I don't think they turn away anyone who is willing to pay. Instead, they will put together 25 teams in one age group. The cream of the crop will be put on the "flagship" team and the rest get divided up among the other teams.... and many of those teams are terrible.

Having dealt with both "select" and "league" ball, I prefer select. The main reason being that the kids can play nearly 75 ball games in a season as opposed to maybe 20 games in "league" ball.

Didn't answer my question.. why do they call it "select ball?"

"Select" ball has gotten watered down now. At first players were truly selected for a specific team not like s city league where you select players because you have to. There are some true "select" teams and there are posers put together by daddy's that want their sons to be on a "select" team.

Because "someone" selects a group of kids to play together. Parents, friends, ect.. and they play games or tournaments together. You are right very few select players play professional baseball but I would almost bet out of the players who just starting to hit the professional ranks the majority of them played select in one form or another. The problem comes when parents believe playing select ball will make you a professional ball player some day. Still a very talented , fortunate few have the opportunity to do that regardless of money spent on lessons, travel, and cool uniforms.

I once thought that "select" ball was a waste of time and money myself, but looking back I realize that I made a mistake not getting my kid into "select" ball sooner. The compitetion level is much higher and the coaching is vastly superior (at least were I live). I coached rec league for a number of years and thought I was a good coach, but after spending time with good "select" coaches I realized how much I didn't know about baseball and how to teach it. I could care less about being able to say my kid plays "select" ball and have no dillusions that he will someday take the mound for the Rangers. In my sitution playing rec will not properly prepare my kid for high school ball. What I do know is that he loves playing the game and has the potential to be a good high school player and if we are really lucky he might get a scholarship at a junior college some day (which might pay me back a little of the investment I have made playing "select").

I am somewhat familar with the Patriots organization and it is true that like most big select organizations that have AA, AAA and major teams, I doubt they will take any kid that can pay the bill. They have tryouts and you have to make the team. This is true about any select team that is worth joining.

I will say that #6 hit a little close to home. Luckily I dont wear Oakleys.