Brakel leaving Union Hill for OC at Killeen Ellison

Smoaky

Union Hill Athletic Director/Head Football Coach Jerry Brakel has resigned to accept the position of Offensive Coordinator at Ellison High School in Killeen.

Brakel once worked for Ellison Head Coach Trent Gregory at Mansfield Timberview and will reunite in Killeen.

Brakel was 0-9 in his only year with the Bulldogs.

David Smoak

Numbers are a problem at UH. They could've opted for six-man if they had wanted to. They have enough athletes to be competitive, but the culture needs to be changed. After four different HC/ADs in four years, it'll take somewhat of a miracle to get the kids believing again. It'll take a coach that will stick to it for several years to get the program back on track, and to gain the parents' and kids' trust again. It'll never be a high paying position, so options are limited. I hope for the kids' sake that they can find somebody with the right stuff that will stay a few years.

They may have to take a flyer at a young man that played college ball and give him his first shot , it has worked before. They need some fire and some passion injected into thier lives, and it could be a saving grace. My opinion only.

This has happened as well. Only thing is the young coach gets some recognition and they leave for greener pastures.

I went to school at UH and it was that way when I was there. I tried to count all of the different coaches I had from when I started in 6th Grade to 12th. I cannot remember them all.

BF79 is right... Numbers, Numbers, Numbers... Every year it is less and less.

This has happened as well. Only thing is the young coach gets some recognition and they leave for greener pastures.

I went to school at UH and it was that way when I was there. I tried to count all of the different coaches I had from when I started in 6th Grade to 12th. I cannot remember them all.

BF79 is right... Numbers, Numbers, Numbers... Every year it is less and less.

You are correct and unless the ISD gets it correct also, consolidation may be the final answer ?

You are correct and unless the ISD gets it correct also, consolidation may be the final answer ?

I hope not. The school remains in good financial condition, and remains academically acceptable. Other than sports there would be no real reason to consolidate with anybody. Maybe admin should consider dropping football and focus on other sports. I don't know what the answer is, but consolidation is not one of them, in my humble opinion.

I hope not. The school remains in good financial condition, and remains academically acceptable. Other than sports there would be no real reason to consolidate with anybody. Maybe admin should consider dropping football and focus on other sports. I don't know what the answer is, but consolidation is not one of them, in my humble opinion.

Good information. Difficult choices for sure. It appears the administration needs heip with the selection of coaches...do they really know what type of person they need to run a program with such low numbers ?

Good information. Difficult choices for sure. It appears the administration needs heip with the selection of coaches...do they really know what type of person they need to run a program with such low numbers ?

Those are good questions, and I think admin thought they had the answer with Coach Brakel. I think if he would've stuck with it he would've turned the program around eventually, and he did promise that he would be around a few years, but as is the case with most coaches, when they get a much greener offer elsewhere they bolt. My personal opinion is that they should get an older coach who has already retired, or nearing retirement, who has been successful elsewhere, and wouldn't mind going to a smaller school to help turn it around. Small schools have a tough enough time finding people willing to stay, but when a program is down (in numbers and wins) it's an even tougher challenge. I pray they find a person who will stay a while, regardless of the amount of success he has or doesn't have.

It had nothing to do with travel. There are plenty of teams in the area that play. The issue was the community thought 6 man was flag football and didn’t want there boys playing flag football because they could not get football scholarships. I assume the community would rather go 0-10 every year instead of giving their boys an opportunity to be successful and compete against schools their size..

• 3 weeks later...