Stanford newspaper writer rips Texas A&M/Manziel

Lobo97

A lot of student ATHLETES on scholarship take online classes. Especially in the Sport Management degree plan. The only reason this has blown up is because it's Johnny Manziel, the first freshmen to ever win the Heisman and SEC record breaker as a freshmen, doing it. I was a Sport Management major at A&M and took all online courses my ENTIRE junior year. My degree plan allowed it so of course I'm going to pick those classes so I can "sleep in" and do the work when I felt like it. It benefits those that ARENT on scholarship as well because that gives them a more flexible schedule so they can work their 40+ hrs a week at their jobs or have more time for their student organizations that they're involved with.

The "hook em" picture WAS in Houston and everyone blew that up as well. He's from Houston. Of course he's going to "rep his city."

I like you Maravich and I like h-town, so I don't want to argue about the "Hook'em" pic, but there's more than just a few things that point out he was with Wale in Austin. For one, he tweeted he was with Wale on the night of the concert. I guess he could have tweeted 24 hours after the fact, but doesn't that go against the whole "tweeting" thing? Second, there is no hand sign for the city of Houston. That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. There's is a gang sign for Houston, but it involves using both hands to make the letter H. This idea was made up because who throws up the "Rock and Roll - Headbangers" gesture at a rap concert? Third, why did the pictures come out the day after the Austin concert and not the day after the Houston concert? And last, we all know that Manziel was a Longhorn fan long before he became an Aggie. Mack Brown had too much loyalty to Garrett Gilbert and his parents to even offer Manziel as a QB, only as a defensive back. Mack did the same thing with the QB our of Canton that went on and had a decent career at Tulsa. I see the whole thing as Manziel just playing up to the crowd. It's really not that big of a deal IMO.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard A&M parents talk about these online courses. I did not realize they were as prevailent as the A&M posters lead me to believe. I sent three to UT-Austin between 2002 and 2010. I can only recall them taking 2 coarses that were not in a classroom setting. I think one was the Texas Government coarse and an independent study coarse for an interimship program. Again I ask the younger UT grads if online/self paced coarses are prevailent at UT-Austin.

I am honestly shocked by what the Aggies on this board are stating and will be mad if UT is following suite on core coarses in a major. I do not have an issue with some of the "electives" intended to "round" us as individuals which have little to do with owns major. Sorry Maravich, I cannot wrap around a major that you can obtain online without classroom participation. No offense to anyone on this board, but I would wipe myself with a resume where the applicant had an online degree. It would be in the cylindrical file.

I like you Maravich and I like h-town, so I don't want to argue about the "Hook'em" pic, but there's more than just a few things that point out he was with Wale in Austin. For one, he tweeted he was with Wale on the night of the concert. I guess he could have tweeted 24 hours after the fact, but doesn't that go against the whole "tweeting" thing? Second, there is no hand sign for the city of Houston. That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. There's is a gang sign for Houston, but it involves using both hands to make the letter H. This idea was made up because who throws up the "Rock and Roll - Headbangers" gesture at a rap concert? Third, why did the pictures come out the day after the Austin concert and not the day after the Houston concert? And last, we all know that Manziel was a Longhorn fan long before he became an Aggie. Mack Brown had too much loyalty to Garrett Gilbert and his parents to even offer Manziel as a QB, only as a defensive back. Mack did the same thing with the QB our of Canton that went on and had a decent career at Tulsa. I see the whole thing as Manziel just playing up to the crowd. It's really not that big of a deal IMO.

I agree with you Lhornfan, you always seem to bring some pretty good points to your posts. Maybe JFF saw how Lil' Wayne throws up some horns sometimes at his concerts?? lol And maybe I was just mis-informed from some close friends of mine who grew up in Houston with that sign...maybe they too were just longhorn fans playing like that was the city's symbol.

Seriously though, I didn't think it was that big of a deal either. If he was in Austin then sure he's going to play the crowd. I wouldn't throw the Gig'Em sign in front of a full Austin crowd at a Wale concert only to potentially get jumped later on. I just don't like how everyone seems to be making that picture a huge deal and his online coursework needing to be "an NCAA Investigation."

Talked to my daughter at Tech and while she can take some online courses, most are basics and cannot take but a few of her major courses online. Tech requires that you take so many hours in the classroom to receive your degree. I do not think they offer any 'online' bachelor degrees. Those are offered at schools like U of Phoenix and A&M Commerce, not at the major colleges, especially Tier 1 schools. I would be really surprised if he could take very many classes online and actually get a degree at A&M.

About the 'hook em' picture. I do not know any self respecting die hard Aggie or Raider that would put up that sign for any reason simply because that is the 'Hook em Horns' sign.

Not true about TAMU-C. If you are an off campus undergrad not in Commerce, you must take at least a quarter of your classes at either our Mesquite, Rockwall, McKinney or Downtown Dallas. You cannot do the entire thing online.

You can get your Master's Online if you live more than 100 miles from the Commerce/North Texas and/or the DFW metroplex and I believe you can do that in any major. And the online Classes are HARD. I took 3 In grad school. You have to attend the lectures.

That as an aside.........

It is stupid that some doof from Standford would dedicate his column to the starting QB of a Team that is not in their Conference and a team who's butt A&M would easily whip. Its just jealousy. Like the hardcore Ags on here say, haters gonna hate. When JF is all said and done he will have three of the coolest pieces of bling on the planet, a Heisman Trophy, A Cotton Bowl ring, and an Aggie ring : D

I for one am not calling for a NCAA investigation, however I have read some that believe the NCAA erred in their response to A&M on the trademark issue. The issue was one of precedence and unintend consequences. They were not aim at either A&M or Manziel, but the fact pattern. A&M did what at good athletic department should. They checked with the NCAA in advance to head off an issue. I question whether the trademark truly has teeth, but I am not going to test it. I saw on-line a French jean manufacturer trademarked "Jesus".

I like the columnist at Stanford am surprised a university of the quality of A&M (which academically I hold in high regard) allows its students (forget the athletes) to obtain 12-15 hours of credit online in upper division coarses in a semester. I can buy into those government and history lecture courses with 250 in a class and there is little interaction with the professor. But my experience these are lower division courses and a student has one or two a semester in their first two years. This is something for the President of A&M and the BOR need to address and not the NCAA. If allowed to continue or be expanded, I believe it could impact the reputation of the university to those that matter - employers and others in academia that judge your institution.

FWIW, I think that the "hook em horns" hand sign is one of the most universally known. No one outside of the Big 12 knows the thumb is for 'gig em aggies'. I think more people know about the 'guns up' for Tech and OSU than the thumb thing. It is just not what people associate with A&M. JMO

To be fair, the gun symbol is used by several different schools. Heck, even SFA and Texas State use it for their axe and bobcat signs lol

Not true about TAMU-C. If you are an off campus undergrad not in Commerce, you must take at least a quarter of your classes at either our Mesquite, Rockwall, McKinney or Downtown Dallas. You cannot do the entire thing online.

You can get your Master's Online if you live more than 100 miles from the Commerce/North Texas and/or the DFW metroplex and I believe you can do that in any major. And the online Classes are HARD. I took 3 In grad school. You have to attend the lectures.

That as an aside.........

It is stupid that some doof from Standford would dedicate his column to the starting QB of a Team that is not in their Conference and a team who's butt A&M would easily whip. Its just jealousy. Like the hardcore Ags on here say, haters gonna hate. When JF is all said and done he will have three of the coolest pieces of bling on the planet, a Heisman Trophy, A Cotton Bowl ring, and an Aggie ring : D

The thing was that this was an opinionated piece. These types of writings are in your local newspaper as well as a college university paper as well.

I have no problem on the guy ripping Johnny. To each his own but as a college graduate and seeing it both sides with my background, I respectfully disagree with the writer's thoughts.

There IS a city sign for houston.

Evidence of that

http://www.cafepress.com/coolplaces/3698696

Houston Rapper

TRAEABN.jpg

trae.jpg

paulwall8.jpg

And a Houston Cougar doing it during a game

A+J+Dugat+Texas+Tech+v+Houston+Ff4u3Xp9e

Looks like Paul Wall isn't a longhorn fan huh? lol

It is absurd, but it is correct. Also, most all concert tours go from houston to austin or sometimes vice versa. So he could have been at the show in Austin and I could be wrong, but it also could have been at a rap concert in houston too. Both hand signs would have worked in both situations haha.

I for one am not calling for a NCAA investigation, however I have read some that believe the NCAA erred in their response to A&M on the trademark issue. The issue was one of precedence and unintend consequences. They were not aim at either A&M or Manziel, but the fact pattern. A&M did what at good athletic department should. They checked with the NCAA in advance to head off an issue. I question whether the trademark truly has teeth, but I am not going to test it. I saw on-line a French jean manufacturer trademarked "Jesus".

I like the columnist at Stanford am surprised a university of the quality of A&M (which academically I hold in high regard) allows its students (forget the athletes) to obtain 12-15 hours of credit online in upper division coarses in a semester. I can buy into those government and history lecture courses with 250 in a class and there is little interaction with the professor. But my experience these are lower division courses and a student has one or two a semester in their first two years. This is something for the President of A&M and the BOR need to address and not the NCAA. If allowed to continue or be expanded, I believe it could impact the reputation of the university to those that matter - employers and others in academia that judge your institution.

Certain majors allow for online classes. People majoring in hard sciences or engineering won't be taking many online. And the Sports Management degree isn't an online one. The only online degrees I know that A&M offers are for graduate school, and like someone said earlier I've heard they are difficult.

Not saying he is, but he could also be taking some of his elective classes this semester. People save those for towards the end so you can get into better classes.

There IS a city sign for houston.

Evidence of that

http://www.cafepress.com/coolplaces/3698696

Houston Rapper

TRAEABN.jpg

trae.jpg

paulwall8.jpg

And a Houston Cougar doing it during a game

A+J+Dugat+Texas+Tech+v+Houston+Ff4u3Xp9e

Looks like Paul Wall isn't a longhorn fan huh? lol

It is absurd, but it is correct. Also, most all concert tours go from houston to austin or sometimes vice versa. So he could have been at the show in Austin and I could be wrong, but it also could have been at a rap concert in houston too. Both hand signs would have worked in both situations haha.

Okay... in your link for the God aweful t-shirts, the thumbs are out. You'll also notice that in the pictures you show, the back of the hand is shown with the exception of the Cougar football player - who has his thumb on the side. And the obvious thing is this is a gang sign dude. You are going way overboard because you can't accept the fact that the all mighty savior of Aggieland might have thrown up the "Hook'em" sign to an Austin crowd.

Since you went to all the trouble to find your "evidence", how about finding something where Manziel says he was not at the concert in Austin with Wale. He knows this picture is out there, and I don't think he has denied it. In fact, check his twitter account. One of his buddies tweets for everyone to chill out on JF for throwing the "Hook'em" in Austin. the fact is the "Hook'em" sign is the most recognizable hand sign in college, and a bunch of Aggies are upset because their boy used it playingn to a crowd.

LOL! Apparently it is also the hand sign of my hometown - Athens. I've lived here for 30 years of my life and never knew it.

Thinking about buying this bad boy and wearing down to Houston to have a little dance off - those boys stole our hand sign!

athenshandsign_zpsc7f3cbf9.png

LOL! Apparently it is also the hand sign of my hometown - Athens. I've lived here for 30 years of my life and never knew it.

Thinking about buying this bad boy and wearing down to Houston to have a little dance off - those boys stole our hand sign!

athenshandsign_zpsc7f3cbf9.png

That's actually sign language for "love"... Just saying lol

I guess most people are forgetting that he is a SOPHOMORE. Aren't you still taking basics as a sophomore? Therefore, there are plenty of online courses available. And yes... I have plenty of friends at UT that take upper level courses online. Not just A&M.

I guess most people are forgetting that he is a SOPHOMORE. Aren't you still taking basics as a sophomore? Therefore, there are plenty of online courses available. And yes... I have plenty of friends at UT that take upper level courses online. Not just A&M.

It's been said many times that he is a JUNIOR academically. And four Sports Management classes to fulfill the 12 hours to be a full time student for NCAA purposes does not equal "the basics." I don't blame him though. He's living it up right now and doing his thing.

In the eyes of the NCAA he is a RS Soph. During the season he was either in his first or second semester as a Junior academically.

In the eyes of the NCAA he is a RS Soph. During the season he was either in his first or second semester as a Junior academically.

He is now a RS Soph. He made his debut at a RS Freshman. Maybe you didn't hear, he was the first freshman to ever win the Heisman.

I think there's a lot of people taking that Human Sexuality class online and not getting credit for it. Wait.... what? All in good fun people!

That class is no joke. My girlfriend took it and I did some of her quizzes for her (don't worry, she wasnt a student-athlete).

I still have nightmares.. Some things in life don't need pictures :(

I realize I'm probably the youngest person on this board, but he was at a concert in Houston and the devil horns is apparently the rap symbol for the city. In fact, Matt Davis was making fun of him on twitter about how he wished he was from Houston and making fun of the picture. The concert wasn't in Austin as most people think.

I am probably right there with you in age but that "devil" horns are actually used by many h-town rappers. I always thought they were trying to form an "H" with their hands.