1A Div 1 Region 3

rubberhammer

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I fill bad for 23. He didnt get to play most of the 1st and they thought he pick up his 3rd in the beginning of the 2nd, and didnt get to play. The score keeper got the fouls wrong. He still had 26 points. Grapeland doesn't function when he is off the court.

What an impressive weekend for the Wolfpack. 21 point victory over #9 Kerens and a 15 point victory over #3 Grapeland. Bobby Tanner was absolutely huge in both games for SA. Against Grapeland the lead never got closer than 6 after the 2nd quarter and that lasted for all of about 15 seconds when SA answer with a 4 point play on the other end. Can't say enough to compliment these boys. Went through a lot this season to get to this point and couldn't be happier for them.

I was wrong. No excuses here. San Augustine beat Grapeland at their own game. They were physical and took advantage of the Sandies mistakes.

Losing Walker to foul trouble early helped San Augustine, as nobody stepped up. Tanner played like a man possessed, and Thomas was just as impressive. Kudos to San Augustine. They are playing their best ball at the right time of the year.

The silver lining to this all is that Grapeland is a young team, and should be back next year.

I was wrong. No excuses here. San Augustine beat Grapeland at their own game. They were physical and took advantage of the Sandies mistakes.

Losing Walker to foul trouble early helped San Augustine, as nobody stepped up. Tanner played like a man possessed, and Thomas was just as impressive. Kudos to San Augustine. They are playing their best ball at the right time of the year.

The silver lining to this all is that Grapeland is a young team, and should be back next year.

The big difference in the game is that anytime Grapeland made any sort of run, SA punched right back even harder. The one time Grapeland really got in the game in the 2nd half it lasted all of about 15 seconds when SA came back down and knocked down a 3 with a chance at a 4 point play. Grapeland crowd went from jumping all over the place, screaming at the top of thier lungs to stunned silence sitting down in about 0.46 seconds.

Defensively SA gave Grapeland all kinds of trouble. They made Grapeland work to get the ball down the floor even if they weren't forcing turnovers and that was big. They turned Walker into a jump shooter. Never let #1 or #3 really get comfortable and going beyond the arch. Just a great team effort on the defensive end.

Offensively, you hit the nail on the head, Tanner was a beast. Grapeland through every defense they had at them (press, man, zone) and it never slowed SA down. When Tanner wasn't shooting layups, he was making the Grapeland defense collapse and dishing out to guys who knocked down shots. it was a big time performance in a big time game.

Who in the region does have a lot returning??? Tenaha graduates one senior starter and a reserve

Grapeland graduates two (both starters but neither big contributors)...San Augustine loses five...Kerens loses four...Big Sandy loses four. Grapeland, Big Sandy, abd Kerens bring back their best players. San Augustine will be the hardest hit by graduation (Thomas, Tanner, Taylor, Horton)

The big difference in the game is that anytime Grapeland made any sort of run, SA punched right back even harder. The one time Grapeland really got in the game in the 2nd half it lasted all of about 15 seconds when SA came back down and knocked down a 3 with a chance at a 4 point play. Grapeland crowd went from jumping all over the place, screaming at the top of thier lungs to stunned silence sitting down in about 0.46 seconds.

Defensively SA gave Grapeland all kinds of trouble. They made Grapeland work to get the ball down the floor even if they weren't forcing turnovers and that was big. They turned Walker into a jump shooter. Never let #1 or #3 really get comfortable and going beyond the arch. Just a great team effort on the defensive end.

Offensively, you hit the nail on the head, Tanner was a beast. Grapeland through every defense they had at them (press, man, zone) and it never slowed SA down. When Tanner wasn't shooting layups, he was making the Grapeland defense collapse and dishing out to guys who knocked down shots. it was a big time performance in a big time game.

Losing Walker really hurt Grapeland. Being on the floor he takes all of the presure off the other players and gives them open looks. When he came off, the other players froze up, a lot of that has to do with San Augustine's defense. San.Augustine perfectly executed their gamer plan and knocked down their shots.

I was surprised that they (San Augustine) weren't throwing up as many threes, and being more aggressive and driving to the rim.

Grapeland graduates two (both starters but neither big contributors)...San Augustine loses five...Kerens loses four...Big Sandy loses four. Grapeland, Big Sandy, abd Kerens bring back their best players. San Augustine will be the hardest hit by graduation (Thomas, Tanner, Taylor, Horton)

SA losing Tanner hurts more than anything...but don't sleep on the wolfpack...a good sophomore class (5 or 6 solid players) in basketball is waiting in the wings (2 of them getting major PT on varsity right now as is).

Losing Walker really hurt Grapeland. Being on the floor he takes all of the presure off the other players and gives them open looks. When he came off, the other players froze up, a lot of that has to do with San Augustine's defense. San.Augustine perfectly executed their gamer plan and knocked down their shots.

I was surprised that they (San Augustine) weren't throwing up as many threes, and being more aggressive and driving to the rim.

I completely agree that losing Walker hurt. SA did a good job of sliding in front and taking charges on him ( i kow atleast 2 of his fouls were off charges). Defensively, that has been their calling card since a bad Christmas break. They just look like its been a mindset change where they are going to get after you and make you do things under pressure the whole length of the court. Nothing really came easy for Grapeland. All you had to do was watch them harrass Walker all the way down the court and still be able to keep him from getting to the rim and instead settle for jumpshots. That was impressive defensively.

What you saw against Grapeland offensively is how SA had been playing all year. Yes they can knock down the 3, but they do a good job of not relying on it.

Grapeland and Tenaha bring back almost everyone. I thought Big Sandy Dallardsville had a majority of underclassmen. Joaquin loses a bunch of good seniors. Cayuga will lose a bunch, Martins Mill was young I was told.Broadus loses key seniors, New Summerfield has some returning but lose some good ones. Martinsville loses their best one(probably 60% of their offense) with a lot of sophs returning. Im not sure what West Sabine or Mart loses. I believe La Poynor loses a few good ones. Those are the teams that played in the area round. Grapeland and Tenaha should be at the top next year if Big Sandy loses 4 like someone said. It should be interesting to see who steps up next year. Seems to be pretty open after the top two.

Mart loses 4 starters.......only Thomas and #30 coming back that saw any playing time......

On a bright note......we might be pretty good in football next year.......

Thomas impressed me against Grapeland.

Not sure how good ya'll will be in football. Not like ya'll are a powerhouse or anything...