UT Tyler football team

z2t4

I think there is a lot of talent in ETX that either doesn't play anywhere or ends their careers at JUCO in the area. If they can afford it, I think they could put together a solid program. It would certainly be well accepted in the Tyler area. I noticed Rose Stadium wasn't listed as an option for a stadium.

I think there is a lot of talent in ETX that either doesn't play anywhere or ends their careers at JUCO in the area. If they can afford it, I think they could put together a solid program. It would certainly be well accepted in the Tyler area. I noticed Rose Stadium wasn't listed as an option for a stadium.

Grace would be a better location. Can't believe they are considering it. Good for them

A non private D3 football program in Texas has alot of potienal.

Wouldn't they be the only one? I know in the ASC they would definitely be the only one. I think they are the only public school in basketball, and the reduced tuition could help a lot. Hopefully this doesn't bite UTT like it did Lon Morris. Adding football was the decline of that school in general...

I don't know that it would be possible, or legal under the NCAA, to have two games at the same venue on the same day.

Not sure what other options are out there for them. Rose is overused already with Lee, JT, and TJC using the field regularly. Not sure if Texas College still plays there or not. That would make it four or five teams on that field. Plus the addition of soccer adds to some serious wear and tear on that turf.

Not sure what other options are out there for them. Rose is overused already with Lee, JT, and TJC using the field regularly. Not sure if Texas College still plays there or not. That would make it four or five teams on that field. Plus the addition of soccer adds to some serious wear and tear on that turf.

UT Tyler already has a soccer team. They have for a while. I believe they have their own field they play on, not at a stadium. I think it's similar to Letourneau and TJC's set up...for soccer.

I'm sure they could find something suitable. They probably won't need anything beyond 5-10k seating for the first five or so years.

Wouldn't they be the only one? I know in the ASC they would definitely be the only one. I think they are the only public school in basketball, and the reduced tuition could help a lot. Hopefully this doesn't bite UTT like it did Lon Morris. Adding football was the decline of that school in general...

There are other non private D3 schools, but I cannot think of any that are on the south.

I don't know that it would be possible, or legal under the NCAA, to have two games at the same venue on the same day.

It used to be legal. Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium in Jackson has been used for multiplre games many times over its history. I assume it still is on the D2 or FCS level.

UT Tyler already has a soccer team. They have for a while. I believe they have their own field they play on, not at a stadium. I think it's similar to Letourneau and TJC's set up...for soccer.

I'm sure they could find something suitable. They probably won't need anything beyond 5-10k seating for the first five or so years.

I knew UTT had a soccer team. I had a friend that played for them. I was referring to Rose hosting soccer games now.

I agree they don't need much seating early.

true, but they could alternate Sat. like JT and Lee alternates Fri. Or they could play Thurs. games. They can also play 2 games on Sat. One game at Noon or 1pm, second game at 6 or 7pm.

They could also start a nice rivalry with ETBU, and Texas College. And could play TJC in a game as well like Texas College did.

Personally I would love to see UTT get a Football team. I think playing at a place like Clyde Perkins would be a good start up. The passion and excitement is there, and trust me, I know of a lot of people that a UTT students and alums that would love to have a Football program. I think the Community would embrace it.

As far as facilities go, Grace would make huge money from having UTT rent out their Stadium on Saturdays, and you can always use Soccer fields for practice. My first year in College I went to TJC and when I would leave for the day, I would always see the football guys practicing on Pat Hartley Field during the Fall.

At A&M Commerce we two intramural fields that were later turned into practice fields with Field goal uprights and everything. The football team would also practice on the stadium surface if they had a game that weekend that was not on grass.

I'd say create a schedule and put Texas College on it, as well as TJC, ETBU, and they could come up to Commerce and play us as I am sure that would be a big draw. I would love to see that. Piney Woods vs. Blackland Prairies. That would be fun!

I really hope that hey approve it and get a football team.

I started my college at ETBU and later tranferred to UT Tyler. There was a big difference in atmosphere during the fall. At ETBU my friends and I went to all the home games, at UT Tyler it was dead and down right boring during the fall with no football, there is hardly any school spirit and I feel that is a direct correlation to no football.

I think they could do really well on the field and in recruiting. Tyler itself is loaded with talented players that end their careers too early and there ar plenty of small school athletes around Tyler who could easily play D3 football

Look at UT Tyler's other sports, they are usually at the top of everything in the ASC being the only non-private state school in the conference (Unless Sul Ross State) is still there. I mean, a good D3 prospect, do they want to go to ETBU ($15k+ a yr tuition) or UT-TYler ($6-10k)? I choose option B.

Look at UT Tyler's other sports, they are usually at the top of everything in the ASC being the only non-private state school in the conference (Unless Sul Ross State) is still there. I mean, a good D3 prospect, do they want to go to ETBU ($15k+ a yr tuition) or UT-TYler ($6-10k)? I choose option B.

Also would you rather live in Marshall or Tyler?

I really hope that hey approve it and get a football team.

I started my college at ETBU and later tranferred to UT Tyler. There was a big difference in atmosphere during the fall. At ETBU my friends and I went to all the home games, at UT Tyler it was dead and down right boring during the fall with no football, there is hardly any school spirit and I feel that is a direct correlation to no football.

I think they could do really well on the field and in recruiting. Tyler itself is loaded with talented players that end their careers too early and there ar plenty of small school athletes around Tyler who could easily play D3 football

Comuter school...fan support will never be as strong as it could be there. It was pitiful when I was there.

Comuter school...fan support will never be as strong as it could be there. It was pitiful when I was there.

Students showed up for big basketball games.

ETBU basically forced itself to build new dorms with the addition of the football programs, I wouldnt doubt UTT having to do the same.

Also would you rather live in Marshall or Tyler?

Growing up in Marshall, then choosing to work there during my career, I should be offended by this...

However, I am not and I agree :)

Sul Ross State University in the ASC is also a public school.

As an ETBU alum and football fan, I have mixed feelings about UTT getting football. I think there are pros and cons to it happening for the members of the ASC.

Obviously, getting another team on the field bodes well for the ASC. The conference currently has 8 schools fielding football teams, but Texas Lutheran leaves at the end of this school year to join another D3 conference and Mississippi College is returning to D-2 next season. McMurry returned to D2 last season. So numerically, it makes sense for the ASC to be looking to add one....or a couple of new teams in the coming years.

Having a regional opponent would be a big boost. I know that the ETBU/Letourneau rivalry has always been heated in most sports. It's one of the few times you could expect a sellout for a home basketball game (on both campuses). Obviously the reason for some of that heat is the fact that Longview and Marshall are only 20 miles apart. The rest of ETBU's rivals are well over 200 miles away. I think it's comparable to the crosstoen rivalry between McMurry and Hardin-SImmons in Abilene.

The next closest rival for ETBU is Louisiana College. SO having a rival 65 miles away would be a big boost potentially.

By having UTT in for football..... that adds another game that students could attend. ETBU's football attendance is well above the national average for NCAA Div III. That's impressive since the TIgers have basically been mediocre in most of their 12 years of existence. If they could actually put a winner on the field, I'm willing to bet they would be at or near the top of the entire division. But that's another pipe dream for another thread.

Other than having a close natural rivalry...... the rest of my thoughts about UTT getting football are negative.

I personally think it's ridiculous that the ASC has schools the size of UTT and UTD completing in the same conference with schools the size of ETBU, HPU, and Louisiana College.

Enrollments in the ASC

UT Dallas- 18,000

UT Tyler - 6,000

Then......

ETBU 1,400

Hardin Simmons 2,300

HPU 1,400

La. College 1,100

UMHB 2,700

SRSU 2,100

Texas Lutheran 1,400

---------

Mississippi College 4,100 (The Choctaws are moving up to NCAA Div II next season)

There are SIX other schools in the ASC that don't play football and they all have enrollments less than all of these schools (with the exception of LET).

I just don't know how having UTT and UTD playing schools with 800 students or less (Ozarks and Scheiner) is equitable in the recruiting. But what do I know? This is the fault of the ASC. And it almost got worst when the Univeristy of New Orleans came asking about the conference before deciding on Div II.

I think it creates inequitable tuition competition. Most of the ASC schools' tuitions are pretty close in nature. Letourneau by far has the most expensive tuition in the ASC. But after that...... most of the rest of the schools have tuition rates that are all pretty comparable...... until you get to UT-T and UT-D, who are significantly lower than the rest of the conference. Seems like a major recruiting advantage.

It just seems to me UT-T and UT-D are better fits for D2 and the Lone Star Conference. They would be grouped mostly with public institutions with enrollments more similar to theirs (near 10,000 or more). But I know this is a financial decision to be D3.

Could we be reaching a point of over saturization with college football in East Texas? SFA prepresents the "big boys" so to speak. A&M Commerce being D2 still offers scholarships, but on a smaller less competitive stage. ETBU serves those that just want to play, but without scholarship help being D3. Then Texas College has the NAIA, which is yet smaller than D3, but still can have financial help. Toss in all the JUCO in the region, and it makes you wonder if there is really any need for another program in the region.

I've been to a couple of TJC games..... their attendance is bleek. I went to a Texas College game ONCE..... and it was smaller than most 2A HS games in Texas. Are we sure Tyler will support another team? Because they seem to treat TJC and TC with a big ole yawn. And UT-T being a commuter school doesn't bode well for attendance either.

Personally......I think it would bode better for the ASC, instead of trying to get the "mammoth" schools (comparitively speaking) of UTD and UTT to join the football ranks, it would be better off for them to attempt to woo schools like Trinity (San Antonio), Houston Baptist, or SAGU (Waxahachie) to join the conference. They are more similar in enrollments, vision, purpose, and recruiting tools).

But looking at a REAL pipe dream......

Can you imagine the rivalries that could exist if ETBU, UT-T, and Letourneau all had teams. Throw in Louisiana College and the potential for an "ASC East" could make for some pretty fun times.

But until the students of UTT decide.... and the powers that be can determine the future of the ASC, it all seems like a big mess to me.