Dallas Mock Draft

I believe several things will happen in this draft. One, that quarterbacks besides Geno Smith will be pushed up into the first round. First round quarterbacks are cheaper than ever, so teams will take more of a risk on them than they have in the past.

A great many mockers are predicting that the Cowboys will snatch up a guard at 18, and that either Jonathan Cooper or Chance Warmack will be there, if not both. It appears to me that Dallas does not want to do that, based mainly on the reports that Dallas appears to be chasing former Jets guards Brandon Moore and Matt Slausen.

Dallas appears to be in love with Kenny Vaccaro. I tend to dislike that Vaccaro doesn't seem to nab many interceptions, but it is also quite possible he will be a target for St. Louis or Pittsburgh.

If Dallas can manage a trade down, then I believe Cooper, Warmack, or even Bjoern Werner will be the pick. If they trade to near the bottom of the first ( or even out of the first completely), then watch for Terrance Williams, wide receiver out of Baylor; the Cowboys appear to like him quite a bit. If the NFL Draft remains on course, however, then I believe Dallas will select:

18. Kenny Vaccaro - Safety (Texas)

rn_i_kennyvaccaro3_ms_600.jpg

Assessment - Vaccaro doesn't appear at first glance to be a typical Tampa-2 safety. His strengths his ability to man cover, with good hips and range. He is a willing striker, a sloppy tackler, and only has 5 career INT. Regardless, He is faster than Gerald Sensabaugh and a better hitter, and can bring that special need to cover the new breed of tight ends in the league.

47. Terrance Williams - Wide Receiver ( Baylor)

hi-res-4976738_display_image.jpg?1343617

Assessment - Cowboys Nation will be livid that Dallas drafted a wide receiver, and still has no guard. I believe Dallas may be interested in Eric Reid, but I don't think he'll last here. Williams is a prototype 'X' for the Cowboys offense, can beat the jam effectively, and makes big plays despite lacking top-flight speed. He can box out defensive backs and could contribute right away if needed.

80. Will Davis - Cornerback ( Utah State )

Assessment - A sure-handed, fluid, man cover corner. Can flip his hips with ease and go vertical. Still learning, but sky is the limit.

114. Akeem Spence - Defensive Tackle ( Illinois)

Assessment - a gap disrupting 3 technique for Kiffin's new scheme. Has some punch in his hands and is a fluid mover.

151. Knile Davis - Running Back (Arkansas)

Assessment - Really like Le'Von Bell actually, but he appears to be on the move up. Knile Davis will be another one of those extremely talented but injured players that Dallas tends to collect. He is a dynamic, one-cut zone runner with big play ability. He also tends to fumble.

185. Reid Fragel - Right Tackle (Ohio State)

Assessment - A big, raw, converted tight end. Has smarts, work ethic, and a much-needed mean streak. Not going to force out Doug Free, but can get playing time as a 3rd tight end or extra tackle in Jumbo packages. He'll need time to develop beyond that.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be terribly enthused myself. I like Will Davis and Terrance Williams, but I'm not real high on Vaccaro. I'd rather Dallas go with Cooper and Reid in the 1st and 2nd round if it were possible.

I'm also basing it on that the Cowboys will add a guard from the Jets.

General consensus is Dallas needs to go OL, S, DL in the first three rounds. People debate over the order of the three, but the majority seem to lean toward the OL being the No. 18 pick.

I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if Dallas traded down (unless Warmack or Cooper are on the board) and possibly try to move their second round pick closer to the front. Then you could pick up a starting OLineman and maybe a like Jonathan Cyprien or Matt Elam, who are suddenly late 1st round-early 2nd round guys. If Cooper or Warmack are still available, then just pick up the best safety available in round 2. I'm extremely against rolling out with Will Allen.

I wouldn't be terribly enthused myself. I like Will Davis and Terrance Williams, but I'm not real high on Vaccaro. I'd rather Dallas go with Cooper and Reid in the 1st and 2nd round if it were possible.

I'm also basing it on that the Cowboys will add a guard from the Jets.

And how exactly would they pay him?

And how exactly would they pay him?

There has been alot of buzz that Romo and Spencer are both close to signing new contracts, which would free up quite a bit of cash ( I'd guess at least 5 mil from each contract). That would give them 10 million, plenty to sign a Brandon Moore/Matt Slausen/Will Allen/Michael Huff.

Thus, I believe that if Dallas has a Warmack and Vaccaro ranked similarly on their board, they'll go with Vaccaro.

If we see a scenario where Werner, S. Williams, Fluker, Warmack, and Cooper are all on the board at 18, and if Dallas can manage a trade down, then I would shift my 1st round choice to Sylvester Williams. If Dallas moves out of the first entirely and nets an early second, Dallas seems to really like Eric Reid and Terrance Williams.

I didn't want to paint too rosy a picture. Dallas likes Vaccaro despite that I like Reid/Cypien better. I like Sean Porter and Xavier Gooden and wanted to get them in there somewhere, but didn't think it was feasible. I'm essentially betting against my own wishes.

There has been alot of buzz that Romo and Spencer are both close to signing new contracts, which would free up quite a bit of cash ( I'd guess at least 5 mil from each contract). That would give them 10 million, plenty to sign a Brandon Moore/Matt Slausen/Will Allen/Michael Huff.

Thus, I believe that if Dallas has a Warmack and Vaccaro ranked similarly on their board, they'll go with Vaccaro.

If we see a scenario where Werner, S. Williams, Fluker, Warmack, and Cooper are all on the board at 18, and if Dallas can manage a trade down, then I would shift my 1st round choice to Sylvester Williams. If Dallas moves out of the first entirely and nets an early second, Dallas seems to really like Eric Reid and Terrance Williams.

I didn't want to paint too rosy a picture. Dallas likes Vaccaro despite that I like Reid/Cypien better. I like Sean Porter and Xavier Gooden and wanted to get them in there somewhere, but didn't think it was feasible. I'm essentially betting against my own wishes.

I'm totally on board with finding players who are willing to restructure contracts to free up cap space. What I'm not on board with is giving a guy a long term deal that is the biggest problem in order to do that...Tony Romo.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, number one on my wish list is Tyler Wilson out of Arkansas. We need a QB for the future (one that will actually lead us to playoff success), and Romo is NOT that guy and Manziel next year is NOT that guy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, number one on my wish list is Tyler Wilson out of Arkansas. We need a QB for the future (one that will actually lead us to playoff success), and Romo is NOT that guy and Manziel next year is NOT that guy.

Fortunately and to the delight of many, Dallas will be extending Tony Romo's contract. He and Spencer will give Dallas a little elbow room to secure a little better OL and S.

News is out now that Dallas has apparently agreed to terms with LB Justin Durant on a 2 year deal. It isn't official until the Spencer/Romo deals are done.

Durant can play the SAM position, and will more than likely compete with Alex Albright and Kyle Wilber for the starting role.

Well I don't mean he should start right away...but I do think that Wilson is going to be a great NFL QB. Just my opinion.

That may be the case, but next season Romo will be the better quarterback.

Goodness Cowboy fans. If anything these past few seasons have showed is you just have to scrape into the playoffs and get hot. If Eli and Flacco can win Super Bowls then so can Romo.

That may be the case, but next season Romo will be the better quarterback.

Goodness Cowboy fans. If anything these past few seasons have showed is you just have to scrape into the playoffs and get hot. If Eli and Flacco can win Super Bowls then so can Romo.

Eli and Flacco are both better QB's than Romo!

Do not disagree with that at all. However, it has nothing to do with your supporting cast when you throw a pick 6 on a screen pass.

Is there a QB that hasn't thrown an INT on a screen pass? I can certainly recall the world ending one week on ESPN when Flacco did it.

But I'm pretty sure it happens to every quarterback.

Is there a QB that hasn't thrown an INT on a screen pass? I can certainly recall the world ending one week on ESPN when Flacco did it.

But I'm pretty sure it happens to every quarterback.

It's truly amazing to me the extent that some people defend a QB who has literally done nothing!

One playoff victory in 6 years, two consecutive .500 seasons. I remember a time when Cowboys fans found this unacceptable.

Good thing teams do not use your evaluations!

LOL, Really?

Flacco - 8 playoff wins, 1 Super Bowl ring, 1 Super Bowl MVP

Eli - 6 playoff wins, 2 Super Bowl rings, 2 Super Bowl MVP's

Romo - 1 playoff win, 0 Super Bowls, 0 Super Bowl MVP's

I'd say those numbers support my argument.

Again....One playoff victory in 6 years, two consecutive .500 seasons. I remember a time when Cowboys fans found this unacceptable. But I guess that's part of the problem; Today's generation of fans don't remember when the Cowboys were truly 'America's Team' or why. All they have been privileged to is losing. So just because we have a QB who can throw for 4,000 yards and 25 TD's (but so does 10-15 other QB's in the NFL every year...because that's the way the rules have been changed!) during the regular season, you think he's 'elite'.

QB's get paid to lead their teams to Wins. But in Jerry's world they get payed because of what they do on paper, and the delusional fans support it. True fans will follow their teams no matter what. That means even when team ownership makes boneheaded decisions. I have always been a Cowboys fan and always will be. But let's make one thing clear, that does not mean that I 'have' to support every decision Jerry makes nor does it make me less of a fan.

It's truly amazing to me the extent that some people defend a QB who has literally done nothing!

One playoff victory in 6 years, two consecutive .500 seasons. I remember a time when Cowboys fans found this unacceptable.

Logic. If the prevailing trait of playoff winning team/ Super Bowl teams is Defensive Passer Rating, and considering that ALL teams in the last 10 years or so were at least top 5 in this statistic have won a Super Bowl...

...and then look at Dallas and see that the best Defensive Passer Rating they could muster in the entire Romo period was a whopping 88 (Not even top 10, yet they managed a playoff victory )...

...one would be able to conclude that pass defense is needed for any serious playoff run, such as those enjoyed by P. Manning, D. Brees, B. Roethlisberger, T. Brady, and A. Rodgers (said quarterbacks won Super Bowls in years their team was #1 in DPR, and haven't repeated without it.)