Dallas Mock Draft

I have a solution to the Tony Romo problem...How about the rest of the Dallas Cowboys TEAM stop putting Tony Romo is terrible situations. God forbid the defense make a game winning stop every now and then. Does Romo screw up? Yes, without question and no one can deny it. However, a lot of times it's the defense that's putting him in poor situations. One stop against Atlanta...or New Orleans, or Washington (either game). Terry Glenn, don't fumble while your team is ahead in the playoffs. Patrick Crayton, be the sure handed guy you'd been all throughout the regular season. Defense, don't let a team with a one legged QB run for 275. Suddenly Dallas has 4 playoff/win or go home wins.

cowboys have had 10-6, 13-3, 11-5 seasons under Romo...he can get the team to the playoffs. He also had 3 pro bowl linemen during that time. Now he has 4 toilet bowl linemen.

Dallas doesn't have a QB problem. They have an o line problem that disguises as a QB problem.

These are quite a few examples of what I believe everyone sees as a larger problem. We can usually all agree that turnovers are the biggest reason games are won and lost; teams with great pass defenses get interceptions. They force the opposing quarterback to have a bad game, even if it's a good quarterback.

It isn't so much a defense of Romo alone, but a defense of any quarterback that has the ability, but never the defense. Without a good pass defense, quarterbacks are playing catch-up. Every little mistake is magnified, because no chances can be spared. During Romo's playoff games, I can't think of a single one where the defense forced the opposing team into costly mistakes or interceptions. Even the Philly game seemed to be more of Donavan McNabb's decline than the defense playing well.

Meanwhile, the quarterback that has a pass defense that is constantly forcing turnovers and poor quarterback play from the opponent benefits from better field position, more chances to score, and isn't trying to throw his team down the field to play catch up. Play action is more effective, and the Cowboys wouldn't be stuck playing every 2nd half in their 2 minute offense. The offensive line has to make every block, all sacks are devestating, and a ball cannot be off-target or dropped to the offense that is constantly put behind the 8-ball due to bad pass defense; it's why even great quarterbacks struggle to make playoff runs in years their team is doing poorly in pass defense.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are quite a few examples of what I believe everyone sees as a larger problem. We can usually all agree that turnovers are the biggest reason games are won and lost; teams with great pass defenses get interceptions. They force the opposing quarterback to have a bad game, even if it's a good quarterback.

It isn't so much a defense of Romo alone, but a defense of any quarterback that has the ability, but never the defense. Without a good pass defense, quarterbacks are playing catch-up. Every little mistake is magnified, because no chances can be spared. During Romo's playoff games, I can't think of a single one where the defense forced the opposing team into costly mistakes or interceptions. Even the Philly game seemed to be more of Donavan McNabb's decline than the defense playing well.

Meanwhile, the quarterback that has a pass defense that is constantly forcing turnovers and poor quarterback play from the opponent benefits from better field position, more chances to score, and isn't trying to throw his team down the field to play catch up. Play action is more effective, and the Cowboys wouldn't be stuck playing every 2nd half in their 2 minute offense. The offensive line has to make every block, all sacks are devestating, and a ball cannot be off-target or dropped to the offense that is constantly put behind the 8-ball due to bad pass defense; it's why even great quarterbacks struggle to make playoff runs in years their team is doing poorly in pass defense.

You two have made great points that several of us agree with I am sure. Just a little vision and even the haters can see the reasoning. Plug in any QB in these situations and results are predictable.

Here is a breakdown of confirmed visits to the Cowboys by draftees:

OL - Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper, Justin Pugh, Travis Frederick

S - Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid, Phillip Thomas, Jonathan Cypien

DL - Sheldon Richardson, Margus Hunt, Kawann Short, Jordan Hill, Bennie Logan

RB - Le'veon Bell, Knile Davis, Joseph Randle

Other - DeAndre Hopkins (WR), Sean Porter (LB), Gerald Hodges (LB)

Cowboys confirmed to be in talks with RT Eric Winston.

If he signs, the question then becomes which tackle gets the boot...Free or Parnell?

According to the report by the Dallas Morning News, the Cowboys are not pursuing Eric Winston.

According to the report by the Dallas Morning News, the Cowboys are not pursuing Eric Winston.

Probably just like a couple other players in the past. Where Dallas was not pursuing them. Then they signed out of the blue. Jerry will keep things low and out of the media if he is really trying to sign someone.

I figure when its all said and done Dallas will draft (I hope) 2 OL, 1 RB, 1 DL and 2 DB's. In what order is anyones guess. But I hope they focus their attention on OL and S in the first 2 rounds. There should be enough depth in this draft that they can get starters at both positions.

Dallas has a history of drafting safeties in the later rounds all of which didn't stay with the team more than a couple of years except Watkins? who lasted 3 years and the jury is still out on Matt Johnson. They need to change their philosophy in that regard.

There's a bit of back and forth about it. Adam Shefter says Winston and the Cowboys were trying to make a deal. Clarence Hill then said that no, they weren't talking.

But then others have confirmed it, like Ian Rapaport and I believe another (can't recall the name).

Not sure whether anything will become of it or not, just like the Brandon Moore thing, but I don't put much stock in Clarence Hill. I've done something horribly wrong if I'm having to get my news from Hill or JJT.

I'd like to see the Cowboys stay out of the free agent market at this point. They are way too close to the cap to be spending money. They gotta hit in the draft . This thing is gonna crash in 3-4 years. They have pushed the cap back so many times now that when the bill comes due it's gonna be ugly.

I'd like to see the Cowboys stay out of the free agent market at this point. They are way too close to the cap to be spending money. They gotta hit in the draft . This thing is gonna crash in 3-4 years. They have pushed the cap back so many times now that when the bill comes due it's gonna be ugly.

Report is now that the Cowboys are trying to get a pay cut out of Doug Free. That could be what this whole Eric Winston thing is about. They didn't have leverage before, but may be trying to squeeze him with the Winston deal.

The Cowboys still have a Spencer deal in the works, and that could free up an extra 5-6 million as well.

I've heard Dallas visited with Winston, but a lot of sources are saying there's no serious talks and a deal isn't likely to be done.

Dallas has more leverage with Free than a lot think. If he doesn't take the pay reduction, then he'll be likely to get cut and no team will sign him for what Dallas did. Especially with an improved (not necessarily 'good') Jeremy Parnell looking over Free's shoulder. THEN, of course, you have the draft.

Getting Winston would be a huge upgrade over Free. Although I think Dallas needs to pick up a very good Guard in addition. Hopefully they can do this and then with their second or third pick up a pretty good Safety.

Forget about what is happening in later years with the money. Dallas and other teams have dealt with being strapped for cash before. It does slow down some progress. The difference comes in being able to get players that can play.

Forget about what is happening in later years with the money. Dallas and other teams have dealt with being strapped for cash before. It does slow down some progress. The difference comes in being able to get players that can play.

Forget about it ?? Are you kidding ?? How has that worked out for us so far?

The fact that Dallas can't draft worth a lick is the reason they have to keep jumping for overpriced free agents. Teams like the Ravens, Patriots, etc are so good because they draft well. Then you can cherry pick Free Agents because the draft picks don't cost as much. Dallas barely has room to draft now. They cannot even release Free until June 1st otherwise his entire salary would count right now... and they couldn't draft. It's a fact ! You cannot draft if you don't have the room under your cap. Gosselin was talking about this the other night, and he knows more about football than all of us put together will ever know.

Jerry has outsmarted himself by passing on the first and second round blue chip picks. That's why he has a team full of mediocre talent he has acquired in the later rounds by #### away the best players when it was his turn to draft them. He gets to see them on Sundays as the Cowboys continue to sputter.

I've heard Dallas visited with Winston, but a lot of sources are saying there's no serious talks and a deal isn't likely to be done.

Dallas has more leverage with Free than a lot think. If he doesn't take the pay reduction, then he'll be likely to get cut and no team will sign him for what Dallas did. Especially with an improved (not necessarily 'good') Jeremy Parnell looking over Free's shoulder. THEN, of course, you have the draft.

The threat of cutting Free doesn't much affect Free. Dallas won't save any cap room in cutting him; he'll still get his money whether he stays and plays or walks.

The threat of cutting Free doesn't much affect Free. Dallas won't save any cap room in cutting him; he'll still get his money whether he stays and plays or walks.

So how is it Dallas saves 7 mil if they make him a june 1 cut? Cuz that's ALL I've heard this offseason.

So how is it Dallas saves 7 mil if they make him a june 1 cut? Cuz that's ALL I've heard this offseason.

Negative. If cut before June 1st, he counts 10 mil against the cap. If he's cut after, Dallas can prorate that amount over two seasons, which means he would count about 5 mil in dead money this year and next year.

Thus, the reason why their trying to get a restructure. If they could save 7 mil by cutting him, they wouldn't be bothering with this.

Negative. If cut before June 1st, he counts 10 mil against the cap. If he's cut after, Dallas can prorate that amount over two seasons, which means he would count about 5 mil in dead money this year and next year.

Thus, the reason why their trying to get a restructure. If they could save 7 mil by cutting him, they wouldn't be bothering with this.

Would you rather have 5 mil in dead money or pay Doug Free his salary? In the long run, cutting him and dealing with the dead money is better than keeping him and paying him.

Would you rather have 5 mil in dead money or pay Doug Free his salary? In the long run, cutting him and dealing with the dead money is better than keeping him and paying him.

Well, they'd rather have the paycut. That's what their attempting. Barring that, we'll see what they do. Remember: they have to make deals with Dez Bryant and Sean Lee next year. Dead money won't help in that regard.

Besides the paycut, a better option would be to keep Free, and cut him next year if he is still sliding. Then they'd actually be saving money for their cap space. A healthier Doug Free could return to 2010 form, or he'll be the swing tackle behind Winston/draft pick. You could then trade/cut Jeremy Parnell (Saving approx. 1.5 mil).

Either way, outright cutting him is probably the worst option at this point.

Well, they'd rather have the paycut. That's what their attempting. Barring that, we'll see what they do. Remember: they have to make deals with Dez Bryant and Sean Lee next year. Dead money won't help in that regard.

Besides the paycut, a better option would be to keep Free, and cut him next year if he is still sliding. Then they'd actually be saving money for their cap space. A healthier Doug Free could return to 2010 form, or he'll be the swing tackle behind Winston/draft pick. You could then trade/cut Jeremy Parnell (Saving approx. 1.5 mil).

Either way, outright cutting him is probably the worst option at this point.

Don't forget Dallas gets 5 million back next season after being penalized the previous two seasons AND a new salary cap limit. Oh, and whatever happens with Anthony Spencer saves money as well. Whether he leaves next year or signs an extention, there will be money freeing up. I'd rather have the pay cut as well, but if Free feels like he has leverage, why would he take a pay cut?

Don't forget Dallas gets 5 million back next season after being penalized the previous two seasons AND a new salary cap limit. Oh, and whatever happens with Anthony Spencer saves money as well. Whether he leaves next year or signs an extention, there will be money freeing up. I'd rather have the pay cut as well, but if Free feels like he has leverage, why would he take a pay cut?

The only reason I can think of that Free might accept a paycut is to avoid sitting behind Eric Winston. Take paycut in return for the Cowboys not signing Winston, and then try to remain the starter against Parnell/ draft pick. Without that, there really isn't a reason for Free to take one; he's still getting paid if he's released.