Cayuga AD/FB Coach Greg Jenkins headed to Tenaha as Athletic Administrator

Smoaky

Cayugas Jenkins to Join Tenaha Staff

After spending the last five years on the opposite sideline as one of Tenahas most intense rivals, Cayuga Athletic Director Head Football and Head Basketball coach Greg Jenkins has decided to join the maroon, white, and Tiger stripes. In last nights regular April board meeting in the Tenaha ISD Tiger Den, Jenkins and his wife Carrie accepted positions within the TISD family. Jenkins will join the Tiger football staff which enters the spring and summer off-season period thought to be 2013s pre-season number one ranked team in Class A Division II having 10 starters return on both sides of ball. It was the opportunity to have multiple chances at championship runs that appealed to Jenkins. When asked about the move from Wildcats to Tigers, Jenkins added I have had a front row seat to see the Tenaha Tradition, and no one respects the way Tenaha kids play, the way they refuse to lose better than me. It was something that I thought I wanted to be a part of at this point in my career, and Im excited to be a part of it.

Jenkins joins a coaching staff with plenty of state title experience. Jenkins brings state championship rings as a football assistant and a head basketball coach. His hiring follows the TISD hiring Garry Davison of Saltillo to coach girls basketball last month. In all the Tenaha staff is full of state championship experience. Not only does the experienced staff boast accomplishments abroad, but just last year, Tenaha Tiger Football had the chance to defend its state championship of 2011 at Cowboys Stadium and the aforementioned Davison led his Lady Lions of Saltillo to the State finals.

TISD Superintendent Scott Tyner added, Ive had the chance to get to know Greg very well during the course of the Tenaha/Cayuga rivalry. What Ive learned is that he views success and kids in much the same way we do. For us, Cayuga has always been a standard by which we here at Tenaha measure our success. A lot of that has to do with Gregs leadership of the great kids in Cayuga. I know Coach Jenkins history of managing athletics programs, his desire to win and be successful, and his kids first approach is only going to make our chances of success here in Tenaha better. As a former coach and someone who takes a lot of pride in what weve built here, I am excited about our current coaches and our additions this spring and what they can accomplish in the coming years.

Tenaha got another quality coach. Coach Jenkins has done great things at Cayuga. Just curious as to what Coach Jenkins will be coaching? If he has anything to do with basketball, then there won't be a more experienced coaching staff in 1A with Coach Bodden and Coach Jenkins.

Yes, we will have a panel that all decisions go thru.. Then we will submit them to a committee, who will straw poll the staff and also a select group of kids to get their input... After that, we will submit surveys to the smoaky.com nation to make sure they are ok with our potential decision..

I'm sorry, I've mistakenly clicked on the EF thread!

From the tyler paper website

Cayuga’s Jenkins going to Tenaha

Greg Jenkins is stepping down at Cayuga and taking an athletic director position at Tenaha.

Jenkins, who has served as the Wildcats’ head football coach, head basketball coach and athletic director, will oversee Tenaha’s basketball, baseball and track programs. He will also be an assistant head football coach.

“Sweet gig,” he said by text message Monday.

Tenaha head football coach Greg Ward will be the AD over football, cross country and soccer.

Jenkins’ resume at Cayuga includes state titles in football (assistant coach) and basketball (head coach).

Guys, you're making this too complicated.

Terry Ward is the AD/Head Football Coach, but Tenaha ISD is going to split up the responsibilities within the athletic department. Ward will remain the head football coach and manage some of the programs in athletics.

Meanwhile, Greg Jenkins will be an assistant football coach, probably the Jr. High boys basketball coach, and also be responsible for a handful of programs that Coach Ward doesn't handle.

Smoaky

Dont they have like 200 students in their high school? Doesn't make a lot of sense for them to have two AD's!

think we have 124-130 in high school.

Thanks for all yalls concern.

Obviously some very intelligent people in charge here, think they'll be able to handle it.

Very excited to have coach Jenkins here. He seems like a good guy with a great sense of humor as well.

Great hire guys! I think it will work just fine. Folks don't realize the demand on the AD's time at a small school...we lost a very good young one for that very reason and don't blame him one bit. Again, good luck to you guys, I'm sure we will see each other down the road in the playoffs...just take it easy on us!!

Wow. How much is this gonna cost us, the Tenaha Taxpayers. Now we have 2 athletic directors in a 1A school. Guess everyone was over worked. Just does not make good financial sense.

its a 1a school. think about december. we make deeps runs almost yearly. follow that up with end of six weeks, the Classic, Christmas, New years, new semester, deep basketball run, hosting playoff games in the SEC. YES many get overworked during that time. It gets crazy.

I wish I could list all the people working their tales off during that time period but I am afraid I might leave someone out. All the ticket takers, cooks, concession workers, Tiger cafe workers, custodians, etc, etc, etc. Guys this stuff just dont happen on its on.

Just dont matter, always gonna be somebody and complaining, no matter how good it has gotten here.