the worst highschool stadium in east texas

NODAYSOFFTX

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pine Tree's visitor side is hideous, as is Daingerfield's. Trying to leave Tiger Stadium on the guest side requires strategy, planning ahead, and lots of luck! Pine Tree's visitor side backs up to a ghetto neighborhood on Burch Drive.

Tenaha's visitors side .... END OF DISCUSSION :(

psychological warfare. did you ever realize you are sitting literally in a cemetary?.....yep. its called "the pit" for a reason.

fix yalls field.

so true.... but to the apparent non-Pit-fan's point above... he is more than welcome to bring his lawn chair and watch from the hill. I don't happen to recall the padded seats or the wait staff that comes to your seat in the 5 or 6 rows of visitor's seats at his place either... or the parking.... or the decent visitor's dressing room... or any kind of a press box from which to coach from (really good playing surface though). But.... one's man trash can is another's palace. I'll take mine against all of them. Lucky for us, we don't care if he doesn't like our place....

it so funny that a garrison person is on here complaining about anything we have. last time we were in Garrison yall credited yourselves with NINE SACKS......lol. you think they sacked RD3 nine times?.....lol.omg. The surface on that field is a disgrace. whats more important stands or field? Fix yours before you worry bout ours.

so true.... but to the apparent non-Pit-fan's point above... he is more than welcome to bring his lawn chair and watch from the hill. I don't happen to recall the padded seats or the wait staff that comes to your seat in the 5 or 6 rows of visitor's seats at his place either... or the parking.... or the decent visitor's dressing room... or any kind of a press box from which to coach from (really good playing surface though). But.... one's man trash can is another's palace. I'll take mine against all of them. Lucky for us, we don't care if he doesn't like our place....

this is sarcasm

So much hate in this thread. Personally, I can tolerate a crappy stadium. What really irks me is when the home team puts their band on the visitor's side (Marshall and Gilmer). That ain't right. Nobody wants to hear that ####.

So much hate in this thread. Personally, I can tolerate a crappy stadium. What really irks me is when the home team puts their band on the visitor's side (Marshall and Gilmer). That ain't right. Nobody wants to hear that ####.

You left out Longview ... Oh, and in Longview's case they also seat all the general admission hometown fans on the "visitor" side with the visitors (home side is all reserved). Gee, why not just keep the visitors out of the stadium if you need all the seats for yourselves?

You left out Longview ... Oh, and in Longview's case they also seat all the general admission hometown fans on the "visitor" side with the visitors (home side is all reserved). Gee, why not just keep the visitors out of the stadium if you need all the seats for yourselves?

Lufkin does it too. It's called a having a gigantic fan base.

Not the home teams' job to make sure the visitors are nice and comfy. No one made you come to the game.

But I would like to see the away side double decked..something that has been in talks.

Not like the visitors even come close to filling the stadium NOW even with the three sections taken up (outside of Lp or Allen). Even Lee and JT didn't fill it most years when we were in a district with them both.

Not like the visitors even come close to filling the stadium NOW even with the three sections taken up (outside of Lp or Allen). Even Lee and JT didn't fill it most years when we were in a district with them both.

And those of us sitting on the vistor side holding our meager general adminission tickets look longingly over to the home side with all those nice cushy green arm rested reserved seats and note with angst that at least 1/3 of them are empty, aaaarg !!!

Tenaha's visitors side .... END OF DISCUSSION :(

+110,000 ... thanks for clearing that up ... I thought at first it was just a roadside park ... if fact, I've seen better seating at a roadside park ....

Well I lean up on fence most of the time anyway, so as long as the people are respectful I could care less what stands look like. I played foosball in south louisana , skeeters ain't too bad up here

And I've played in ankle deep mud many times

Builds character, and cowpatty's are the smell of money, what makes a stadium good or bad are as follows

1) good people

2) good food

3)good facility ( John )

You guys need to drive a little south and see Livingston's...absolute joke for a 4a school...same stadium they played in since the late 30's...parking for about 100 people...unbelievable!!!!

Livingston is sorta of a strange deal … the stadium was built shortly before WWII besides the High School … in the mid-Seventies that built a new HS on the eastern side of town … actually the bond included a new stadium … but the Superintendent, who we called “Mild Toast” was anti-athletics and he pushed another election to take the stadium money and do something else with it … the actual bond proposal was written so vaguely that most of the people who voted had no idea what they were voting for … and the alternate bond was passed by just under 25 votes … now they have built another new HS on the western side of town and the stadium remains the same … it is in a landlocked area with no hope for expansion … the board has historically been basketball oriented and as the community aged in the last fifty years spending money to educate students is not one of their priorities … but you’re right, it is a joke … there have been cases where opposing teams with large followings have offered to pay the bill for the game if it would be moved to a suitable neutral site … sadly, I don’t see it changing … my mother went to school there and was in the marching band … and when she was there, she was marching on the same field.

The tomato bowl oh my gosh!! That place is unsafe!! When I go back to that stadium I feel like I get set back 200+ years lmao

When the Tomato Bowl was built about 1940, it was the cat’s meow … but like most stadiums built in this era, security was one thing you didn’t even think about - the visitors and the home fans sat on the same side and nobody ever gave it another thought … I’m not sure when the visitors stands were built, but I’m guessing after the oil boom was tailing off … the reason I say that is that the visitors’ stands appears to have been originally constructed using surplus drill stem, which was a common construction method for baseball and football stands in East Texas at the time. Considering it took several bond issues to replace two antiquated and overcrowded elementary schools, I don’t see a stadium bond ever coming to light … it is one of those places where you can stand at mid-field and look at the home side and say “That’s kinda neat” … and then turnaround and look at the visitor’s side and say “That happened over there?” … and this discussion doesn’t even address the stadium dressing rooms … the stadium is an icon of WPA architecture and it would be an interesting project to make the visitors side look the same ...

And those of us sitting on the vistor side holding our meager general adminission tickets look longingly over to the home side with all those nice cushy green arm rested reserved seats and note with angst that at least 1/3 of them are empty, aaaarg !!!

Now this I tend to agree..it was pure stupidity making the entire home side season ticket holders only, and this is coming from a season ticket holder. Makes me sick. Should've double decked or added to the away side before even thinking about doing such thing. Before that..the home side was standing room only every home game..no matter the opponent..as well as general admission on the away side.

I admit that I don't make every single home game (live far away). But I do give my season tickets to someone else when I don't make it.

Right now..the home games I plan on attending are Lufkin, Horn, and Mesquite. Already have it marked on the calendar. May or may not make it to the Olive Branch game in Shreveport. Coppell and Rockwall are the away games I've marked.

The grass and seats are always greener on the other side. They sure look cushy when you are on the other side on bleacher seats. I do bring my own stadium seat to make the best of it though.

Green, as in $$$, is correct. Most of those season tickets have been held in the same family or group of friends for over 20 or 30 years. THAT IS LOTS OF MONEY for a high school program...in fact the football revenue supports a lot of other sports programs that take in little or no money...for those who are not aware. So ask yourselves, even those at smaller schools, why don't we improve and make the $$$ like Longview and others to offset expenses?

I am "old" and have seen the evolution of football stadiums.....the "old school" stadiums were football only fields...no track.....smaller fields were so small that people would drive cars to the fence and watch the games from their car....thus also having "extra" noise makers...the car horn....when the home team scored...THAT WAS THE GOOD OL DAYS....grew up in one of those tiny little towns....would drive my car to the stadium and park right behind the scoreboard goal posts....and go get dressed for the game.....parents would drive to game and bring my 80 yr old grandmother to the game....she was a "MASTER" of the car horn.....got her arrested one night...well almost...playing our big rival and she would blow the horn when they got close to the goaline...people came over to the car and told her to stop.....wouldn't do...police called...."almost" stopped.........Now we have fields with tracks and BIG fancy scoreboards that can entertain all by themselves.....feel as if we are too far away from the action.....old school stadiums were the best....Hemphill...Alto.....Timpson...Garrison....Teneha.......Old Crockett Stadium in thPARK.....Lovelady

Groveton and THE WALL!!!!!....San Augustine...down hill run.......Grapeland...the old "metal" fence.....wow....remembering all this makes me feel REAL OLD!!!!!!!

Mt. Enterprise has built a new facility, don't know if it is nice or not, but I can't imagine it being one of the worst...

Overton has also redone their stadium...

Elkhart has a nice playing field, but the overall stadium is no bueno. I don't expect to see them playing there a whole lot longer.

I've never been a big fan of Lovelady's field, Alto, or Cross Roads.

Mt. Enterprise is nice other than visitor's parking in dust bowl and waaaaaaalking a mile. Overton has improved except for West Nile Virus. Like you I hope Elks get out. Crossroads still in the WPA field much like Tomato Bowl. Lovelady what can you say. Alto is so much better than the old one that was on 21 that it looks like Jerry World in comparison.

Green, as in $$$, is correct. Most of those season tickets have been held in the same family or group of friends for over 20 or 30 years. THAT IS LOTS OF MONEY for a high school program...in fact the football revenue supports a lot of other sports programs that take in little or no money...for those who are not aware. So ask yourselves, even those at smaller schools, why don't we improve and make the $$$ like Longview and others to offset expenses?

Yes, this is the same problem we have had in Gilmer (generations of family and groups of friends holding season reserved tickets forever, long waiting list, none available), but hopefully after this next week, there will be a reasonable and equitable resolution to the season reserved ticket problems you see everywhere ... empty seats and no way for others to easily fill those seats when the primary holders are not able to attend or simple choose not to go to the game any particular week. There have been some good recommendations and I'm hoping they get it right, since they have the golden opportunity now that the home side has been completely replaced with more reserved seating and the layout is requiring the review of everyone's seat assignments. At least we have hope at the moment. If they don't get it right, oh well, we are still just like everybody else.